Lesley

Diagnosis at last!!

Gosh Lesley, this is a bad spell isn't it. Don't forget to look after yourself in all this, sounds as if you are struggling a bit too. Fingers crossed that Lauren can at least get some pain relief - I know she doesn't want to be admitted to hospital but it might be better if she was in for a short period to get this sorted out. Keep us updated - and enjoy the play!

Oh no! The poor thing. That sounds really frightening for her - an all of you. I hope she is getting the help that she needs. Maybe a nerve got pinched when her shoulder was relocated? Things get so bad like this and you just can't see a way out of it, but I am sure she will turn a corner, and I hope that it is soon (((hugs)))) to you all.

My ED's school phoned today about the possible problem with her taking art GCSE from September as the art room is upstairs. We've really go to get her walking otherwise I fear she may have to take something else instead, and the art was meant to be her 'fun' GCSE :( It's a small thing compared to everything, but when she is limited to what fun things she can do, anything that's taken away, potentially, is just so unfair. Makes me want to stamp my feet like a petulant child.......among other things :cry:

I know - Lauren really wants to take science but a. she's not in school now and b. she has only been offered two hours home tuition and they won't offer practical science.

I hope your daughter makes it to her art classes......

Lauren's MRI showed prolapsed discs - Paeds tried to send her to Orthopods and they want her to go to Birmingham to see the Neurosurgeon.........somebody told her she could eat as she'd been nil by mouth all day - as soon as she'd eaten a sandwich they said she should stll be nil by mouth..... :roll::roll:

We're just heading to Warwick as she wants visitors - may have to detour to Birmingham en route.......

Good news Karin! - I hope your daughter has an appointment soon. During the holidays would be good wouldn't it? Could you speak to the secretary dealing with the list and ask if you can take any cancellations?

Lauren spent all week in Birmingham Children's Hosp. on a neuro ward but came home on Friday night. The OT visited a few times but not much help was offered :( My daughter was asked what would cause problems if Lauren went home and was told that getting upstairs would be the main problem as all facilities are upstairs apart from a tiny, tiny, cloakroom downstairs which is down 1 small step. The answer to that was a commode :?

Lauren has a high bed at home to enable her to get out of bed and an arrangement of memory foam topper and pillows - the choice for her downstairs was to sleep on the sofa........the OT suggested that they put a mattress on the floor :shock: ..........for a child who is adult size, is a dead weight because she has no use of her legs and both shoulders frequently dislocating!!! If they could even get Lauren down on to the floor how on earth were they supposed to lift her back up? :shock: The Rheumatologist didn't ask questions about Lauren's schooling but was obsessed with her going back into mainstream schooling :roll: The Neuro people don't think that the paralysis is anything to do with the prolapsed discs but they don't know what is causing it........so basically 'go home and get on with it' :? Neurologists, Othopaedics and Paediatrics don't really understand EDS and complications arising from it so they play pass-the-parcel and hope that she will go away. The nurses though were excellent!

Fortunately my Dad still had the special bed that my stepmother used before she died and so we were able to hire a van and collect it on Saturday morning and so Lauren is now set up in a downstairs room. She took a couple of steps yesterday - she's working hard to be able to get to the downstairs loo. We also had to buy her a wheelchair.....good job that mobility shops use next-day delivery!

Definitely baby steps at the moment but she is a determined girl.

Neurologists, Othopaedics and Paediatrics don't really understand EDS and complications arising from it so they play pass-the-parcel and hope that she will go away. The nurses though were excellent!

Definitely baby steps at the moment but she is a determined girl.

Thank you all :D We had a letter from her consultant here who said the CAMHS in London can't help her as they have " a very high pressure on for referral"? Does that mean they are just too busy?

He also said he's be interested in how she is going at the moment! I phoned last Thursday morning and was told he'd get back to me and he still hasn't. I feel like because he has no more answers, he isn't doing anything to help.

I understand it is very frustrating as a doctor to have a patient who has something which causes a lot of chronic pain for no known reason, but the doctors need to think about the patient and how alone you can feel in this situation. Which is why I quoted the bits above from your post Lesley.

Baby steps is the way to go. Bria put her foot down for 50 seconds, with it just touching the floor yesterday :dance: This is a huge thing considering she couldn't put it down at all a few weeks ago. She is determined to be on crutches by the end of the holidays, and I really hope it happens :pray: We bought her a small pedal bike so she can sit in her wheelchair and gently pedal to try and get some muscle back in her legs as atrophy has set in where she hasn't been using them for ages.

All my best to Lauren, and you and your daughter (((hugs)))

Bria put her foot down for 50 seconds, with it just touching the floor yesterday :dance: This is a huge thing considering she couldn't put it down at all a few weeks ago. She is determined to be on crutches by the end of the holidays, and I really hope it happens :pray: We bought her a small pedal bike so she can sit in her wheelchair and gently pedal to try and get some muscle back in her legs as atrophy has set in where she hasn't been using them for ages.

That's really good news Karin - I hope she continues to improve. I agree, it can feel very lonely trying to find the right help.