gooner.girl

Church Wedding chat.....

Talking about hand-me-downs, I've got a couple of things that belonged to my great-grandma (she was an Annie :wink: ). I have a pair of gold and turquoise ear-bobs and a gorgeous pair of white kid gloves - they are very delicate and only just fit me; she was tiny and had an 18" waist and that was after 4 children!!! Unfortunately the rest of her jewellery was stolen when my Granpys were burgled :(

These stories are wonderful. I love beautiful things that have a history attached to them. 8)

Oh yes, Linda, I agree. That bit of history makes things so special doesn't it?

When my grandmother died she left her eternity ring for my daughter to inherit. Immi was only a baby at the time, and even now the ring is too big for her, but she treasures it all the same and is looking forward to being able to wear it :D

Just joined this thread this morning, having avoided it 'cos of the title! :oops: Quite lovely - had a good read and a laugh! Lovely pictures everyone!

I've been married twice, both in registry offices. Last time was a couple of years ago, but we'd been living together for 15 years!

We decided we wanted to have the reception at home in our lovely garden, which neatly limited it to 40 guests (this was pre-chicken days, you understand!) We had the wedding in June (but of course it was cold and drizzly and I was frozen by the end of the afternoon!)

Transport: no 19 bus for most people (well its only a 10 minute ride, door to door, and there's virtually no parking round here!) We went in one of our witness' cars (last minute decision!) Entertainment: the children (not the one who kept insisting I wouldn't do as the bride, cos I wasn't in a meringue like the next wedding party! :x ) Clothes: simple long summer stuff from Ghost, that I thought I could wear again, but never have :roll: Food: very good caterer (teacher at Leiths, ex-Alastair Little, if there are any foodies out there) Music in registry office: Baaba Maal 'I will follow you...' - beautiful track, but apart from one refrain most of its in an African language so goodness knows what it says! Reading: lovely passage from Captain Corelli's Mandolin, about what love is (as opposed to being in love). Seasonal flowers we bought en-mass from New Covent Garden market and arranged ourselves the day before - cornflowers, tiny cream roses, alchemila mollis, scabious, etc: all blue, cream, and lime green.

It was great actually, very 'us'.

Hmm! :oops:

Our next door neighbour, who is an artist/photographer, took some informal ones for us, as did friends and rellies. No formal groups or anything though. Problem with this was he didn't know who was who, and so his bias showed: virtually no photos of women over 40 (except me!), none at all of my friend who uses a wheelchair, lots of the children! :roll:

I'll have a look...

Lovely photo Christine. It looks totally naturel.

We had a non wedding photographer take our photo's. We loved them. I didn't want any posy ones, and the ones we did get were just brilliant. Geoff stayed the whole day and "Ooops, word censored!"ody saw him. He just mingled in and quietly snapped away when "Ooops, word censored!"ody was looking.

Do you mind if I share some of these with you? I love them so much. This thread has given me a good excuse to get my album out and remember what a lovely day it was.

bestmanspeech.jpg

ClareandI.jpg[/img]

Edited by Guest

Absolutely Claret! Thanks everyone! I really like the informal photos too: yours are lovely Gina. We had formal photos outside the registry office for my first wedding and they dont really give a feel for the whole occasion in the same way.

This recent wedding (just 2 and a half years ago Myles) was much more a product of us, though, if you know what I mean. I think when I got married in my early 20s I just did the done thing (-ish: I never wanted a church wedding!). But doing it as a 'mature' couple meant we knew much more about what we wanted. I suppose the fact that we were completely in control of choices (and paying for them) helped!

I don't want to get divorced, (obviously) but i would like to get married again. I loved all of it and it's such a shame that it's a once in a life time thing (hopefully). I would consider a blessing but everyone i know whose had one quite quickly split up afterwards, so i'am not going there.

I guess sons and daughters weddings are maybe what i need to look forward too Any excuse to don the glad rags.

Anne

Col and I got married on the spur of the moment a couple of years ago in Cornwall in October in a storm - we had an booked into Rick Stein's for lunch and had an hour to spare. We walked into the registry office as the pips were going and got in the car again at 14 minutes past. And that includes paying! So no photos, no engagement ring, no nothing!

But that was what suited us - we'd wanted to get married for ages but none of the options suited us - the thought of being all dressed up and the centre of attention for a day horrified me, we're both too private to want to do vows in front of other people and family situations made who to invite a nightmare! So we ran away and did it our way!!

Caused quite a stir at school - the kids thought it was sooooooooo dramatic!!

Sian

That's exactly what I wanted to do! I said to OH 'why can't we just go shopping on a Saturday morning, pop into the registry office and get the piece of paper?' I still love that idea!

(But we had a church wedding and had a lovely day) :D

That's exactly what I wanted to do! I said to OH 'why can't we just go shopping on a Saturday morning, pop into the registry office and get the piece of paper?' I still love that idea!

(But we had a church wedding and had a lovely day) :D

Unless I've got it wrong - you can't get married in England as a total whim - you sill have to register the wedding - and the notice has to be displayed in the Registry Office for a minimum number of days (used to be 21 days)

you can do this in America - hence the number of drunken mistakes!!!

Phil