Valkyrie

Family Trees; are any Omleteers related?

I love all the intrigue in most families. You can always bet somebody won't be talking to somebody else and won't let you look at family documents etc.

My mum's mum never stayed in touch with her paternal side of the family and had no idea where the maternal side was. She then cut off her husband's side of the family. My mum thought her dad's family were all batchelors - until we found her cousin on Genes Reunited. She was gobsmacked. :D

Fascinating stuff

If anyone knows anything about the following it would be very interesting.

Henry St George Foote born in Hitchin, married Julia Jackson and lived in Stoke on Trent

Thomas Adams married Mary Sutton from Devon

William and Janet (nee ???) Black from Midlothian, Scotland

William H Davis, Dublin, Ireland, married Sarah Davis (nee ???) from Stoke on Trent

Tabitha Mathews, Suffolk married William Naunton in Suffolk...related to the Lemans in some way?

These were all alive during the late 1700s to the early 1800s. Henry St George Foote is the biggest mystery as his first marriage appears to have been to a Lady Elizabeth Katherine Douglas from Scotland but they lived in Hertfordshire and she died without issue. He then married Julia Jackson, who I think came from a china manufacturing family. I can't find out anything about who Henry St George Foote's parents were, how he knew Lady Elizabeth (who seems to be minor royalty) and why he ended up marrying into a much lower class family in comparison. It is such an unusual name too!

That's an interesting post Lay a little egg for me, & more what I had in mind, good luck!

If another Omleteer recognised an unusual ancestral name & location from a post, bingo, 2 related Omleteers, and maybe some puzzles like yours solved too, if different pieces of the jigsaw are held.

Does anyone have Gillow, but in Kent, not the Lancs cabinet maker line? I think possibly the Lancs & Kent lines may connect with an earlier Suffolk line, but that's really deep in history.

So, Thomas Gillow, (Buckland Farm or St Nicholas at Wade or Woodnesborough, all Kent)?

We know back to early 17th century but sadly my Grandfather, with 2 daughters, was the last male in our line so it's died out as a family name. :(

I managed to get my Corbett line back to 1645 in the end through the mormon library online - was hoping to get as far back as 1066 and prove we were related to earls and such but no luck so far :doh: You could start with http://www.ancestry.co.uk and http://www.genesreunited.co.uk. They are easy to use, you may need to pay a subscription eventually. Just a word of warning ................ it is addictive :D:D

Thanks :D genesreunited kept crashing at first so found http://www.familyecho.com/ which I found really easy to start the tree on if anyone is looking for another site to use though am now transferring all the info to genesreunited as it is working again :roll:

I have just revisited my family tree on Genes reunited :D:D

Ive gone back as far as Charles (from Houslope, Bucks) and Lydia (from Sheffield) Dolling he was born 1851 (ish) she was born 1862, they had 6 children,

i need to see what her maiden name was (somehow) and trace back

hmmm, i wonder how they met :think::D:D

this is fabby :D:D

cathy

x

Ajuff: your story is so sad - I lost my Mum when I was 8 and consider myself very lucky that I can remember her, my sister was only 6 and has no memories :( .

Koojie - my dear late MiL was a Lloyd from Cardiff (one of 12 children :shock: ) but fortunately my SiL is researching that side of things :wink:

Personally I started trying to trace my family a couple of years ago and although I have found some initial links I haven't got very far. I am relying just on my Dad for info and unfortunately he doesn't really know anything about my Mum's family with whom he lost touch after losing my Mum :( .

Anyway what I do have is............

Batten - Wiltshire (Salisbury/Durrington), Somerset (Bruton)

Yeates - Isle of Wight

Lawes - Hampshire (Fordingbridge), Dorset (Wimborne)

Spratt - Hampshire (Fordingbridge)

The Spratt family were Bakers and Butchers in Fordingbridge.

Lisa P

my granny (a welsh Jones) was removed from her mother aged 4 in 1905, due to her grandfathers debt. she was then adopted via an orphanage in stirling to the east of inverness to a childless wealthy couple.

after her death, i submitted all the info about her (VERY limited i may add) from the adoption certificate on genes reunited. about 12 months later i had an email from someone - it was a relative of my granny's (niece) who had helped her father (grannys brother) search the length of britain to find her - sadly her father had died about 5 yrs before, but they had documented a life story book for when they found her, which i have now.