Valkyrie

Family Trees; are any Omleteers related?

I've just had a very quick look at my notes from when I last worked on it and there were Lamberts on my line in Compton in Sussex (don't know if it's East or West) but that isn't from you anyway is it? That was in 1810. Towards the end of the 1800s they moved to East Meon in Hampshire where they were still farming.

Dont think it's the same bunch then Jue - I've found out that they had a farm called Peacock Farm in Morden 1810 - 1900 ish.

Hello

Probably hard to trace most of my paternal relatives.....how many Thomas' live near Swansea :roll:

Another name on my paternal side is Gore in the North Notts area.

Other long lost relations with names like Herberts and Pearson live around Derbyshire.

Often wondered if we might be related to the Gore of Goretex fame.

Regards,

Christine

I've just had a very quick look at my notes from when I last worked on it and there were Lamberts on my line in Compton in Sussex (don't know if it's East or West) but that isn't from you anyway is it? That was in 1810. Towards the end of the 1800s they moved to East Meon in Hampshire where they were still farming.

Dont think it's the same bunch then Jue - I've found out that they had a farm called Peacock Farm in Morden 1810 - 1900 ish.

You never know. It could be that the Lamberts who were at Peacock Farm were brothers/cousins of our lot. As I say when I feel back up to looking into it again I'll see what I can find out and let you know.

One fact that I found absolutely fascinating is my friends' maiden name was Dodgson and she has managed to trace her line back to Charles Dodgson aka Lewis Carroll.

I used to teach a child who was related to Lewis Carroll (Dodgson :D:D:D )

blumming heck -

cathy

x

It's such a very very small world once you start looking :D

Ooh, I wonder if your Fowkes and my Fawkes are related, they were from Birmingham too and quite often spellings of surnames were accidentally altered due to people not being able to spell.... :D

It's quite possible.

There is quite a long thread on the Birmingham History Forum about the Fowkes but I have not found a connection to me.

You are right though, Looney, it's one of those names easily corrupted. It could easily be Fawkes, Fowkes, Foulkes, Folks, Volkes and so on. Loads of my ancestors were illiterate, so were not able to verify the spelling of their own names.

Ooh, I wonder if your Fowkes and my Fawkes are related, they were from Birmingham too and quite often spellings of surnames were accidentally altered due to people not being able to spell.... :D

It's quite possible.

There is quite a long thread on the Birmingham History Forum about the Fowkes but I have not found a connection to me.

You are right though, Looney, it's one of those names easily corrupted. It could easily be Fawkes, Fowkes, Foulkes, Folks, Volkes and so on. Loads of my ancestors were illiterate, so were not able to verify the spelling of their own names.

My Gran (maiden name Fawkes) traced her family back to 16?? (I think) to a farmer in Herefordshire but as she lives in New Zealand I have no access to the paperwork! As you've said, she told me that there were sooo many spelling mistakes/variations in the records that it made it a bit more challenging to trace! I suppose when there were 7+ children per family, the majority of whom couldn't write properly, the possibilities are endless! :lol:

With my Mod hat on, can I just urge caution when posting names and locations that you don't make it easy for someone unscrupulous to identify you (everyone on here is trustworthy I'm sure, but it is an open forum).

If you want to go into more detail with a particular Omleteer, it may be an idea to PM each other. Please post the outcome here though :wink: .

Patsylabrador..are your Bones from Suffolk? My first husband was a Bone and his father was born Suffolk..

My names are all far too common to make anything of it..although I have managed to get back to about 1850s (which is not too bad since I live on the south coast and they were all in the north east)

Smith North Yorkshire

Meggison North Yorkshire

Robson County Durham

Charlton County Durham

White Sussex

My OH family tree has been researched by a cousin and goes way back...Cook - Suffolk and Cheshire, and Jowetts

I just wanted to mention Rootschat.com ..it's absolutely free and the people on there are very kind and helpful and will share info with you if they can (including look ups on Census etc) Also there is a surname board so you can see who else is searching the same names as you...I was able to find out about my Smith's with the help of a very kind soul on Rootschat.com.

I was brought up in Morden (Surrey)! But no Lamberts in my family, I'm afraid.

The problem with names from South Wales is that there are an awful lot of similar names - you only have to look at the Wales Rugby XV to see just how many Jones's, Thomas's, Jenkins's and so on there are. There are quite a lot of Walters's too, although since my grandmother had 13 children and her mother had 17 children, I can see why there are so many with the same surname!

I don't think any of my family come from Ynyshir. The Jenkins were from Abertridwr/Senghenydd. There were also Watkins's from Abertridwr although Tydyr Watkins lived up on Caerffili mountain between Caerffili and Cardiff (the only way to get there before Heads of the Valleys was built.

I joined Ancestry over the Christmas holidays and wow is it addictive!

Family names Burnett, Balls, Pepper, Mitchell, Pears, Greenham.

I found out that my grandfather was born in Holbeach Workhouse, his mother married when he was five. Was he the father? Who knows.

I've got quite far back on my grandmother's side.

Of my mother's family I know very little. My mother died in childbirth when I was 18mths old. I don't know her birthday and to complicate matters she was Irish and I can't seem to find her. Not sure what happened to the baby either, I assume it died with her but there is no mention of the baby on the death certificate? I'm wondering about contacting the maternity hospital to see if they have records and also the autopsy report.

Gosh, that is a very sad story. I would certainly want to be finding out more. If the baby had a death certificate, it probably would have been recorded at the same time, like next in the register. It will be lovely for you to find out more about your mother. I will be interested to hear what you find out.

Not so sad as I can't remember my mother at all. I'm just curious as my mother's best friend cared for me following her death until i was of school age when i returned to my family. Years later when I was 16 and back in touch with my foster mum she said it was about time I knew things and asked me to make a pot of tea. By the time I made the tea she had changed her mind. Unfortunately she died a short time later and I never found out. I think I'd like to know now.

Oh gosh how frustrating for you Ajuff.... you must be itching to know...

my grandma was "cut off" by her family when she married my Grandad and then they moved down south.. and then she died when I was 15 months old so I have no photos of her family great aunts uncles etc . To top it all my Mum died at 50 (long before I was interested in family history) and there is no-one here to ask and I am soooo curious about them..

I really hope you manage to get some information on your Mum AJuff.....xxxx

And beware - grandads have no idea what their mother's middle names are. And all the hush hush stories, like one was allowed to keep the family name of Mortimer - hence it was his middle name. Now that was the one who was born before marriage - so was his dad a Mortimer - or did they change it because of some other naughtiness? Oh the intrigue - which is probably a load of rubbish! :lol: