Valkyrie

Family Trees; are any Omleteers related?

Well the Irish side (apart from Brady's - yep we're part Brady Bunch) that came over were Kirby - so possibly they stayed in Liverpool and then hopped across the water. That's the side with the drapers shops in the 1830's (why they wanted to settle in The Old Kent Road beats me :roll: ).

And apart from the elusive Croucher bunch (Kent origins apparently - Saxon name) we have a Maverly who we have no idea where she came from. By locating name clusters they appear to be around Gloucester. Fascinating as Mr Spock would say.

Oh and we have Druiett - a Jack the Ripper suspect (luckily he had no children - but they are all around Wimborne, Dorset and loads of graves in the Minster). Seems our line stops with my Great grandfather - le Frenchie carpenter. Le poo - hard to trace French ancestry.

:D Well, this is what I posted on ANH's family tree topic;

I'm fascinated with the idea that 2 Omleteers might be unknowing related, perhaps a few generations back, I wonder what the chances would be.

I'd like to start a topic where we list a few main names & locations from our trees, but I don't know if it's a good or bad idea, any thoughts?

For internet safety it would be best if they were names from way back without the current family name mentioned.

So, here we go on this topic, I've moved Koojie's relevant post here. I post mine shortly, off you go! :D

Edit; This is quoted from ANH's post later in the topic, some people are forgetting!;

With my Mod hat on, can I just urge caution when posting names and locations that you don't make it easy for someone unscrupulous to identify you (everyone on here is trustworthy I'm sure, but it is an open forum).

If you want to go into more detail with a particular Omleteer, it may be an idea to PM each other. Please post the outcome here though :wink: .

South Wales surnames are: Walters, Holmes, Knowles, Jenkins. All from the villages of Abertridwr, Senghenydd and the area around Caerphilly (Caerffili in Welsh) mainly in the parish of Eglwysilan.

English surnames are: Pearce, Rutland, mainly from Berkshire, although the Rutland surname suggests that the family may have originated in that county.

but they are all around Wimborne, Dorset and loads of graves in the Minster

Coo, I've not done our family, though perhaps I should :wink: ............my grandfather's family are from Wimborne & he did some of the carpentry in the Minster..rather dodgy link, but we could related Koojie if I went into our roots :lol:

This would be a good exercise to do with my Nan as she's the last of her generation still with us...best I get a wriggle on though as she 86+ :?

Sha x

My grampy has traced his family tree quite far back. The name is Sedgbeer (note, without an 'e' after the 'g'), they seem to have come from Somerset, but for the life of me I can't think of the place names despite having been there. He's found that somewhere along the line, think it was his great Aunt, was the person who invented Clark's pies. If you're from Cardiff area you'll have heard of these yummy things. http://www.clarkspies.co.uk/history.htm Unfortunately we're not in the line of people that carried on making them.

I haven't traced \ny of my married names side however I know a few names in my dads family.

Killminster, one died in First World War died 1917.

Bailey, back til early 1700's one ran a hardwear store, seamstress. two unrelated Bailey familys in our family too so a lot of Baileys. :lol:

White

areas I would have to check with dad and get back to you. I think though if you have a bailey and a white after it theres a possibility you could be related to me.... now that thrills you with such excitement doesn't it.. :lol:

Edited by Guest

My Yorkshire Tyke ancestors are all Slaters, Kays, Holdens, Hurtleys and Townsends also Pullmans, related to the Pullman carriages empire, (but too far back to benefit!)

Spinners and weavers who made good in the industrial revolution, became mill owners and kept moving west out of the smoke to the seaside.

Any relatives out there? :D

Corbett/ Wellings /Cross /Roberts and Eaton on my Mum's side - all from the Black Country Bilston/Darlaston area.

On Dads side its Llewellyn, Roberts and Jones from south wales and up as far as Devils Bridge :D I bet there will only be a few of them :whistle::whistle:

If you want to have a go at OHs side and you know any Scannali/Tarallo people please let me know!!!!

If anyone knows any Staffords from Mellor in Derbyshire then they are definitely related to me! The Staffords were a huge family, the majority of them had at least 7 children, families with 10 - 14 children were not uncommon. Other names are Pullen, Hodson and Bartlett.

I managed to get my Corbett line back to 1645 in the end through the mormon library online - was hoping to get as far back as 1066 and prove we were related to earls and such but no luck so far :doh: You could start with www.ancestry.co.uk and www.genesreunited.co.uk. They are easy to use, you may need to pay a subscription eventually. Just a word of warning ................ it is addictive :D:D