Groovychook

New furry! Photo's added!!

I can hardly believe I'm trying this... but tomorrow, we're going to be bringing home our first dog from a rescue shelter :shock:

We've wanted a dog for ages but have been worried about the effect upon our three cats who we dearly love.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we spotted him on the Woodside Shelter's website last week and I rang up about him straight away. We went to meet him the very next day & he's a sweet little thing- he's a quiet, friendly little chap. He's a JRT/ chihuahua x... :shameonu: don't laugh! He actually looks like a doberman puppy but he's 2 years old. He's come from a loving home but his previous owner had lots of other animals and couldn't cope anymore. He was brought in with his brother who was re-homed the same day... the poor thing must be wondering what on earth's going on :( He's used to living with cats, so hopefully that bodes well :anxious: .

His name is Puppy :roll:, which we're hoping to gradually change to Tinker. I hope he can get used to it! We're planning to have him sleep downstairs in a large dog crate, thinking that if the cats can freely wander about at night without fear of him chasing them, that it will aid the bonding process. We've got an interior gate too, so that we can keep a barrier between him & the cats in the daytime but they'll be able to watch each other...

Any tips for introducing dogs to cats would be gratefully received!!!

Can't believe how nervous I am about it all- excited but very nervous!

Wish us luck for tomorrow!! :D

Edited by Guest

How exciting!!! Lots of pictures please!

Our dog Lola is 9 months old now and we always get asked how old she is because to a lot of people she looks like a lab puppy. I got asked today if we had only had her a few weeks(because she looks really young)-we have had her 6 months now!

Lola loves her crate too, our previous dog hated hers but we are glad Lola has taken it to be her her space and regulary goes in it on her own accord.

How exciting for you - can't wait to see the photos. :D

When we got Ruby apparently she had previously been called Diana and Penny and she had no problem taking to the name of Ruby - we just kept saying it - I think it is the tone rather than the actual name that they respond to so you should be fine changing his name. :D

He's here!! He's here!! :dance:

This is the best day ever!! He's a gorgeous little man & we're smitten! :D

He was as good as gold in the car on the way home... after lots of kisses, he just lay down & went to sleep! He's had a walk around the garden, met the chooks... sniffed Cicely's nose- she did a little hiss but wasn't too fussed.

He's just adorable... eating his tea at the moment... OH is very proud... has already got him to sit, fetch & stay... thinks he's the dog whisperer! :roll::lol:

All photo's taken up to know have been very blurry- he's so fast! Will persevere though & try & get some better shots later when he's calmed down a bit!

Can't believe he's ours!!

Congratulations, how exciting for you. I can't wait to see photos.

We've had a couple of rescue dogs and the shelters had no idea what their names were so they do get used to new names quite quickly.

A crate is a really good idea as it gives both the cats and dog a chance to get away from each other. :D

Thanks everybody! :D

Everything seems to be going very smoothly... Tinker went to bed last night in his cage without any protest and we didn't hear a peep from him until we woke him up this morning! :D We left the door slightly ajar so that the cats could visit if they wanted to but I don't think they bothered.

He's been so good up to now- fingers crossed it continues! He's just had his first bath... we were given some medicated shampoo that the vet had prescribed as he had a very red & itchy tum. They think it's just due to the fact that his previous home wasn't too clean. Anyway- he didn't protest at all... seemed to quite enjoy his bath. Thank goodness- Got to do him again on Saturday!!

I just need to get him a retractable lead now so that we can practice his recall. Ooh- and a name tag... must read up on the thread about them at the moment...

Loving having a dog!! :D