CannyCat

Guess who's getting a new chicken tomorrow?

Meeeeeeeeee! *does a silly dance*

I'm so excited :P

She's a Gingernut Ranger and she's being delivered between 2-4 tomorrow, along with a run extension, run convertor, an extra glug and grub (for grit and treats once they're all living together, because the Ladies overturn normal bowls and work them right down the other end of the run so I can't reach them :roll: ).

I dont have a 2nd eglu to keep her in while she gets to know Matilda and Bertha, so I'm going to put together the run extension and convertor to make a 2nd run, put some mesh over the ends to seal it, and leave her in that through the day, next to Matilda and Bertha's run. She can sleep in the garage overnight to begin with, in a box with some nice snuggly auboise :) and then after a week or two I'll introduce her to the Ladies fully.

My OH was all "We already have more eggs than we can eat, and our garden is mangled enough - but if it makes you happy... :roll: " needless to say I ran out and phoned Penny at Omlet before he could change his mind :wink:

Yaaaaay! :D

Now what to call her... 8)

How exciting for you - I bet you don't get a wink of sleep tonight!

I would let her sleep with the other hens right away - its a really good way to introducethem,when they are all sleepy & tucked up.

Thats what we have done with each of our intros,& it went wel every time :D

You just need to be up early to hoik her out via the egg port & put her in her own little run,before hostilities begin :wink:

Not too bad this time of year with the darker later mornings,but it can be a killer in summer whan you need to out there at 5am :lol:

Hope it all goes smoothly - any name choosen yet?

How exciting for you - I bet you don't get a wink of sleep tonight!

I would let her sleep with the other hens right away - its a really good way to introducethem,when they are all sleepy & tucked up.

Thats what we have done with each of our intros,& it went wel every time :D

You just need to be up early to hoik her out via the egg port & put her in her own little run,before hostilities begin :wink:

Not too bad this time of year with the darker later mornings,but it can be a killer in summer whan you need to out there at 5am :lol:

Hope it all goes smoothly - any name choosen yet?

Really? I might give that a go, and see what happens then. Did it make it easier when they first spent the day together as well, do you think?

No, I'm awful with names - my mum names Matilda and Bertha!

Excellent news :D

You did the right thing in getting on to Omlet before OH could change his mind :wink:

I would agree with cinnamon though about the sleeping arrangements so they can start getting used to each other when they are sleepy. I did this when I introduced my two in November. That said it was still only in the 5th week that I was happy to let them all in the during the day but they were fine during the night. What I found initally was that when I opened the eglu door in the morning the existing 2 would rush out leaving the new girls in the eglu so I could pick them out and pop them in the front of the eglu. (I segregated the run). I do think that had I not popped them into the eglu at night, interagration would have taken longer but you will still need to be prepared for ruptions when they first put together. May not happen though depending on your chooks personalities. It seems from reading posts on chicken introductions that you can never tell!

Shame you couldn't have persuaded OH to go for 2 new girls :wink: You can always sell the eggs to contribute towards upkeep!

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your new girl. I think either Matilda or Bertha would be good names for your new chook. Oh, yes and pictures too.

E

I think that anyone introducing a new hen or hens to aan established flock has to prepare themselves that there WILL be a s"Ooops, word censored!" of some sort.

I am convinced that putting mine to bed together from the start helped them get used to each other.I know there are a few great threads about intros & even maybe a sticky which maybe you should check out.

My new hens were in with my old girls within a week & it was fine.

Don't worry, & keep us posted.

Looking forward to some piccys :P

BTW - Martha or Rose go well with Matilda & Bertha 8)

I think that anyone introducing a new hen or hens to aan established flock has to prepare themselves that there WILL be a s"Ooops, word censored!" of some sort.

I'm hoping the cat (who is a total wuss but who likes to talk big) will force them to become something of a united front 8)

Oh how exciting!! I'll hopefully be getting two new additions soon, just have to wait for local breeder to get them in! Not sure what type to go for though: whitestar/bluebelle/bovan nera? decisions decisions.

How bout Gerty or Ruby to go with Bertha & Matilda?

I hope it all goes well for you!

She's heeeeeeere! She's so small and lovely and ginger (like me!) :D

Bertha and Matilda hate her :shock: They spent all day yesterday going BOK BOK BOKAAAAW! I swear, the whole street (both sides!) must have been able to hear them. They alternate between dashing up and pecking her, and staying as far away from her as chickenly possible (i.e. perched on the dining room windowsill)

Tom has called her Bridget, because she's all alone and just wants to be loved :oops:

Anyhoo, I've put together the extension and convertor, but I'm not sure it's on right. It kind of comes to a point where the regular run and convertor/extension meets, is this right?

Also, I noticed the run has begun rusting where the bars end and the plastic hasn't quite covered them - not good considering we've only had it 5 months. Can you buy the green stuff to repaint it with?

Photos to follow :)

Congrats on the new chicken-does she have big pants!? I introduced 2 new girls and its horrible to watch at the start. I've said this on another thread - week 1 is nasty, week 2 much better and week 3 seems to be the magic number and everything settles down. I isolated the most viscious one for an hour or two each day to give the new girls a break. Good luck!

I'm so jealous! I'd love a brown hen!

Well, we introduced Starlet right away to our two when we got her. That was a mistake and she spent a lot of time cowering in the wooden house we had at that time. Anyway after a few days they settle down and will finally except the new girl. Introduce her by putting her in the eglu at night and then separating them in the morning.

Hope everything goes well.

Edited by Guest