ali-s

Rupert Cat is injured

I'm so glad he is getting better.

I always hated those collars and never used them. Try a "tiny baby" all-in-one vest doing up the outer two poppers leaving the middle one open for his tail. Luckily cats have all their "bits" in the same place so using the litter tray will be easy. I found that most cats tolerated this so well you could let them out into the house.

Best of luck

Thank you for all the good wishes :D

Rupert must be feeling better as he was reluctant to take his medicine today, I think I will have a struggle on my hands tomorrow.

A good tip about the baby vest but Rupert's stitches go right down his leg nearly to his foot so a vest would not protect that bit, I think he would need a romper suit :lol: I have just ordered a comfy collar from Amazon, which inflates, so fingers crossed he will keep that one on, it has good reviews.

Rupert came for a cuddle and lay on his back for me to tickle his tum, not a pretty sight just now :vom: I counted all his stitches, 36 in total. I will not be holding on to him when he has them taken out thank you very much.

Poor old Rupert, but he's clearly feeling a lot fitter than he's supposed to at this stage!

I had a cat with a broken pelvis once, and we were advised to keep him confined in a tea-chest with wire over the front so he couldn't stand up and put any weight on it, it sounds cruel but the vet advised this. I came home at lunchtime on the first day to find the chicken-wire bent and some tufts of fur on it ...the injured cat had not only bust his way out, but then climbed upstairs and was asleep in the bottom of the wardrobe! We gave up in the end, and he still made a full recovery.

Within reason, I'd be inclined to let Rupert convalesce in his own way, obviously it's not good if he takes his own stitches out, but he'll probably get better more quickly cuddled up to Olly cat ( :D ) than if he's miserable and constantly trying to escape.

Rupert is recovering very well. He is running and jumping and playing like he hasn't been injured. He was always a Cat that loved to be cuddled but now he wants cuddles all the time, as soon as I sit down he is there on my lap purring and trying to lick me.

His comfy collar arrived today. He has been very good and hasn't touched his stitches yet. I think I will keep the collar just in case.

Rupert's two weeks are up and this afternoon he will be having his stitches removed. I am not looking forward to having to hold him steady whilst this is being done. A lot of his stitches are on his tummy so will need I would think to be lying on his back.

Rupert has been such a good Cat concerning his injury. He has not touched his stitches so the buster collar is in the bin and the expensive comfy collar is in a cupboard. He has been desperate to go outside with Olly and hunt Shrews.

The really fun part today will be trying to get him back in the cat carrier :anxious:

Fun and games indeed trying to get Rupert into his carrier, he destroyed the hinges on the metal door :shock: and got out. I ended up shoving him into the ancient all wire carrier I use for transporting Chickens.

He was an angel at the Vets though. A vet nurse held his head and tickled him under his chin and I had to hold his back legs apart :shock::lol: while the Vet took out his stitches. Rupert took it all in his stride.

Because Rupert got so stressed in the carrier and so he does not have to go there again until his booster vaccinations he is still at the Vets being castrated. His appointment for this was on the Monday after his accident so had to be cancelled. I should be able to collect him at 7pm this evening.

Rupert is home and will not have anything to do with me :shock: preferring to stay in the chilly kitchen rather than being warm and cosy in front of the woodburner which is his second favourite place after my lap.

How long will I be getting the cold shoulder treatment :roll:and will I be getting more of the same on Friday when Olly gets done.

Oh dear - I'm sure he'll quickly get over your betrayal :lol: seriously I bet he'll be back to normal tomorrow.

Dave had to have his leg bandaged up when he was a youngster (damaged tendons) and they had to put him out. The vet phoned and asked if they should castrate him whilst he was under and I said yes. It was such a shame to see the poor boy trying to walk gingerly with this huge bandage on his back leg - it took him a bit of time to forgive me :roll:

Rupert ignored me until 10pm :roll: and then jumped on my lap settled in his usual position, on his back, legs akimbo :vom:

He was supposed to stay in for 3 days but I let him out the next day for a little while. He has been outside most of today jumping through the barbed wire into the fields without a care in the world. We think it was barbed wire that caused his injury and I cringe every time I see him jumping through it. The fencing belongs to the farmer so even if we had the funds to replace it we wouldn't be allowed. We have a 3/4 of an acre garden why does he need to play in the fields :roll:

Glad that Rupert is well on the mend :D

A tip that we got for getting cats into a carrier, is to put the carrier on it's end with the door open at the top, then drop the cat in bottom first. this works pretty well, with our 'big strong legs everywhere not going in there' cat. the only thing we have to remember is if they are both going in there is to put the heavier one in first. :lol: