ali-s

Rupert Cat is injured

Son Jack phoned me at work this morning about 9.30am to tell me that Rupert had a large graze on his side. I nipped home in my half an hour lunch break to check he was alright.

Rupert has an horrendous injury :( It looks like he has been skinned :( A large part of his fur has come away from him. Rupert ran away when I tried to lift him in the cat carrier to take him to the Vet. He has managed to get under a kitchen base unit and I cannot reach him. I cannot remove the kick board under the unit as the previous house owners must have put on the kickboard and then tiled the floor,or move the unit itself. I can see him after I moved the cooker away but cannot reach him.

OH, son and Daughter are both out and about a two hour drive away, my 2 neighbours are also out. I am now waiting for an SSPCA officer to arrive. she is about and hour and halfs drive away. Hopefully she can use a grabber rod and pull Rupert out from under the cupboard.

I am feeling sick with worry :(

Also had to phone work and tell them I would not be coming back in this afternoon so I will be in the bad books tomorrow when I go in.

Try not to worry too much it may look much more serious than it actually is. I would leave his to settle quietly for the moment. If is if hair ripped out and a graze it doesn't sound like it needs stitching. If this is the case he is probably not in any immediate danger. Does it look like the hair has been ripped out leaving a sore skin underneath?

Poor Rupert and im not surprised you are worried. Try and stay calm - I know its hard in these situations!

Can you place the cat basket at the edge of the kickboard where he went in and put a tempting treat in there? He might decide its worth investigating :?

Do hope all is well soon

We are back from the Vets.

Rupert was nearly an hour on the operating table and I have counted ten stitches, they are the ones I can see. His injury was actually worse than first thought. It looked like he had been skinned like a rabbit, half of his left side, down under his tummy and down the inside of his left back leg. His fur was hanging off but still attached to him. Even the Vet and nurse were shocked.

The SSPCA officer arrived just after 3pm and grabbed him with the noose like grabber, pulled him out from under the kitchen unit and then grabbed him by the scruff of his neck. she took one look at him and said get him to the Vet now! I drove like a maniac into town to the Vets. A quick checkup, an injection to make him sleepy and he was taken away to be operated on.

He is now back home and I don't know whether to be thankful for this or not. He has already managed to take off his buster collar :wall: so I have left him in the cat carrier until Andy gets home to help me put it back on. Rupert has to be confined for 3 days so I have dug out Achie Dog's crate and managed to just squeeze in a small litter tray and a fleecey pet blanket. rupert will not like this.

Rupert has had an antibiotic injection which will last for 14 days. I have to administer by syringe :anxious: a pain killer for the next 14 days. His stitches are due out in 14 days also ( if rupert hasn't got to them first).

I cannot praise highly enough the SSPCA officer for coming such a long way to help Rupert. I will be sending the SSPCA a donation. The Vet, nurse and receptionist were also brilliant and stayed until Rupert was alright to come home even though it was after surgery hours. I feel drained, sick but very relieved rupert will OK.

Ali-s thats brilliant news that he is going to be alright - I bet you are relieved!

Some people deserve medals dont they? It makes you put your faith back in the human race when others go above and beyond for you doesnt it.

Another great way to thank them would be to send a little letter & photo to your local paper - im sure they would appreciate the publicity and the donations they would receive on the back of it!

:shock: Poor Rupert, and poor you! Actually it doesn't sound as if Rupert is feeling half as bad as you if he's already got his collar off ... he's clearly a real fighter, yes he will hate being confined, mine always do.

What a relief that he's been seen and sorted out, and a big cheer for the SSPCA officer.

I didn't sleep a wink last night and neither did Rupert, he was yowling all night and I was up every hour to put his buster collar back on.

He is eating and using the litter tray which is a good sign.

I had to be at work at 7am and have only just got home. Andy was Cat nurse today. When I got home he had destroyed his safe confined area. Litter in his water and food bowl and all over the kitchen floor. He has had is dose of Metacam painkiller and was very good letting me put the syringe into his mouth, he ate a few Cat biscuits as well. When he has settled down I will try to tidy up his cage.

I have worried about him all day while at work. At lunch time today I realised I hadn't eaten since Friday evening. Tomorrow there will be no one here between 8.30am and 3.15pm although I will try to pop back home in my lunch break.

The Metacam seems to be working and he has settled down on his bed.

The Vet said rupert hadn't been in a road accident as there were no other injuries. Our property is fenced all the way round with barbed wire fencing and we think he must have got tangled up in it and got injured freeing himself.

Rupert is only 6 months old and has already used up one of his nine lives, he had better be careful from now on.

Rupert escaped from his puppy playpen yesterday evening. the pen has a large piece of heavy chipboard type boarding over the top, even so he managed to push it off a little and must have climbed up the playpen side and down the other side. I found him fast a asleep on the windowsill bed in the kitchen will his buddy Olly Cat.

The two Cats are best friends and do eveything together. Since Rupert's accident Olly has been off his food and had been lying on the kitchen floor pushed up to the puppy pen to be near Rupert. I left them both to sleep.

We put Rupert overnight in the bathroom and he settled well. This was the Cat's safe room when they first arrived here and sometimes they still like to sleep in there.

Rupert is so much brighter and is at this moment spending time with Olly in the kitchen. Rupert will go back to the bathroom on his own when I go to work. The Cat's like to play rough and tumble and I do not want Rupert to get hurt if Olly gets too rough.

The Busta collar is off again, do those things actually work :twisted: or are they a gimmick? I hate them and Rupert certainly hates his.

Rupert is now crying at the front door wanting to go outside. It will be quite a few weeks before he is allowed.