Cinnamon

Pain in the neck

Literally :?

About 3 weeks ago I cricked my neck or something,not sure how,but its been stiff & sore ever since.

Last night at 2 ish & woke up after trying to roll over to find that I couldn't move my head because my neck hurt so much.I had to sit up,shuffle,then lie back down.

Couldn't get comfy after that,so I am running on little sleep today.

This morning it is agony :?

Any ideas what I can do to help it heal & to stop the pain?

Yes,I can feel it spasming - it went right through my shoulder & up into my jaw an hour or so ago,but is easing a bit now.

So painful........... :?

Try to relax as much as possible Sarah - if you feel anxious about it, it creates a vicious circle and leads to more tension and more pain. Warm bath with scented candles is good :D

My hubby threw his back out but it went into spasms and was incredibly painfull. Perhaps you can do this with your neck too.

I would perhaps try an osteopath if it doesn't calm down after using all the other things suggested on here. I think you should perhaps try a mix of cold and heat on it too.

i had the same as you recently, weird as it sounds it may have been wind. I suffer with wind in my shoulders but never my neck before now. Some andres liver salts and one of those lavender and wheat pillows you put in the microwave sorted it out eventually. Either that or it just went away by itself but the pillow thing does ease the pain.

Funnily,I had a lot of pain in my neck & shoulder when I had some gastric problems a while ago,& some gall bladder pain.

This however is very different indeed,& is muscular I think, as I can feel it only when I make particular movements. Putting my head down onto my pillow really hurts like anything...I was almost in tears earlier :(:twisted:

Have snaffled the daughters wheat pillow thing 8)

I get a lot of problems with my neck since trapping a nerve years ago. I find what helps me is alternating heat and ice, so i do 15 minutes with a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel and then the wheat bag. Also a gentle massage with lavender oil helps to relax the muscles.

I get a simlar thing every so often and you have my sympathies as it is really really painful. Sleep is not easy as every time you need to turn over you have to wake up to manoeuvre yourself around. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

I would second most of the suggestions on here. I also see my chiropractor every three months or so for a maintenance visit and that tends to help keep it at bay.

Having said that, my lower back is currently causing me hassle!! :roll:

Hope you feel better soon!

I know how you feel. I have had neck pain for about three months now. I had a similar long standing problem but more in my shoulder about 18 months ago and it was sorted out by weekly visits to a physio Therapist and some daily exercises. I need to go back I think as indisturbed sleep seems to be a thing of the past.

We are lucky in this area because we have a self referral system to an NHS physio clinic, so all of my treatment was free. She worked wonders, I thought I was stuck with pain for life.

Problems like this can be caused by the muscles and tendons in your neck and upper back becoming tight and they need manipulation to loosen them up again.

Thanks everyone - a bit better sleep last night thanks to my V pillow,which I propped myself up on.

I am trying to get the Doctor to come out,but they are reluctant.I can't drive & I tried being a passenger yesterday & the jolting was unbearable.....I have never,ever asked for a call out before & am deeply unimpressed :evil:

On top of this I have Devon at home with what I suspect is Shingles......

I used a lavender wheat pillow last night which helped & have just ordered a heap of hot/cold back patches,pain relief gel & Nurofen from Ocado to come tomorrow.

I wonder if using the computer is to blame..................

Farmville :roll::roll::roll:

Oh no! I hope your DD hasn't got shingles. Keeping my fingers crossed for her.

I hope the doctors do come out to you, you sound like you need some meaty painkillers. I've got some dicloflex for my knee took one and nothing happened, had another one later before I went to bed and I felt completely zoned out for the rest of the night.

He didn't come out,but I have some nice strong painkillers & anti inflammatorys,which my good old Dad has just brought round to me.

Paracetamol & Coedine (co codamol, or something) are now doing the job nicely....

Devon can't go into work until the Shingles has totally gone,but needs a Doctors note, so I am going to have to get her in to the surgery tomorrow somehow anyway :roll:

Shame,as she had just signed up for a heap of overtime & has just got a pay rise too :?

But as its a food store,they can't allow her to work while she is infectious.

Am going to do a big Ocado stock up,just in case I am still immobile at the end of the week 8)

Glad to hear the pain is under control at last. :D

Will Devon's employer insist on an actual Doctor's note? She can self certify for the first 7 days. If they do insist ring the receptionist and if your surgery offers it ask if you can speak to a Doctor over the phone, then explain you need a doc's note and they will write one out and leave at reception for you to collect at your leisure. You may have to pay though.

Last year I thought I was never going to recover from the pain from my neck. It was only comfortable when it wasn't supporting the weight of my head..i.e. laying down, and I'd limp through my days at work so that I could lie on the bed in the evening and have some comfort. It made me feel sick all the time. We don't do painkillers anyway, but nothing touched it..and the best the doctor could offer was valium as a muscle relaxant....no thanks!

A friend from London said that she always uses the local Chiro in the village when she has a problem. But I was unconvinced..I had always felt that there was something unbelievable about all that bone cracking. However, in desperation I did visit the Chiropractor's rooms as there was a sign outside that said massage..and I thought that might help. It turned out the masseuse was not there that day...but the receptionist suggested I see the chiro anyway.. I was so fed up I thought why not?

He examined me and was able to identify the point of the pain straight away...and showed me on the skeleton in his office that I had locked two verterbrae in my neck in the most awkward position...

He manipulated my neck (it cracked alarmingly a few times ) and told me to go home and rest.. about a couple of hours later I realised the nagging pain had gone. For the first time in six weeks I stopped feeling queasy..He really did sort out the problem. I went back a few more times for further tweeking, but have really not had the slightest problem since.

of course it depends on the chiro you visit...but mine saved my sanity...really. If nothing else works give it a go..but canvas local opinion first to get a recommendation

YOu have my greatest sympathy..neck pain is awful..it ranks with toothache, earache and back ache as one of those pains you can't just put to the back of your mind and ignore

I hope that things have eased a bit today Sarah and that Devon is feeling better too.

I have just had a call back from the physio department about my neck problem. She advised me to do as many stretching exercies as I can. Chin tucks particlarly 10 repetitions per hour and make sure that I roll my head backwards little and often too along with looking over each shoulder. She also advised a heat pad.

She also recommended massage. It sounds like a visit to a chiropractor or treating yourself to a massage may help.

The physio did say that it can take several weeks to see an improvement because often the pain is coming from a tension problem that has been building over a long period, so it takes a while to stretch it out again.