Hello everyone.

Been reading all your messages for a while but only just joined.

I have oreded a RED eglu and 2 chickens (one of each type) to be delivered on Thursday 5th April (as I have a few days off over Easter and will be able to give them extra attention while they settle in )

Anyone got any advice for a beginner ? Anything to prepare/get ? Or do I just sit back and try to wait patiently (which I'm finding difficult !!).

Anyone else, in or around Leicester ?

Can't wait for their arrival, H

Edited by Guest

HI Hazel

welcome - the best advice I can give is read the stickies in each Main Topic heading. I started as a novice and the help and advise on here has been amazing, plus all the other tips and tricks. Its very exciting waiting for their arrival and then yr 1st egg.

Have had mine for about 18months now and never looked back.

have you visited an eglu owner - if there is someone near you - I found it most helpful as you can see up close what everything is and where it goes etc

good luck for the big day

Lyn

Welcome to chickeny world Hazel :lol:

Before I got my girls I spent all my time reading almost every article on the forum and gained loads of hints and tips and really useful info.

I also stocked up on a few bits like garlic powder and red mite powder.

Other than that it's just pacing the floor until they arrive :lol::lol:

Hi Hazel

Welcome to the world of chooks, my little bit of advice is soon as get them, register them with a vet (I hope you'll never need them to visit) but if you do you everything is already in place. It can save time as well... not all vets are able to see chickens, some are only for cats, dogs etc.

Oh yes the other thing is to make sure you have a carrier to put them in if you should ever need to go.

Enjoy your girls, they provide endless fun and laughter and eggs too!!!! :D

Welcome Hazel! :D

There's a few of us in Leicester/Leicestershire! You're welcome to come and have a look at mine to kill a bit of time until yours arrive! Waiting is definitely the worst bit. Best thing to do is as the others have said - read as much of the forum as you can ( you won't have time when they arrive :roll: ).

Hello Hazel,

Congratulations!

Read the forum while you're waiting for the hens to arrive as just about everything has been covered here at some time and if you have any questions, ask! No question is too trivial or silly if it's something that is worrying you and you'll be amazed at how many people rush along to answer it for you and put your mind at rest. Find a nice comfy chair so you can practise chicken watching so that you're an expert by the time they arrive and put your camera batteries on charge because, you'll soon realise, we love a photo of the new girls!

I've had mine all of - ooh, three weeks! and I agree absolutely, reading the forum has been a huge help. Here's what it lead me to do:

No. 1 - I made a bark chipping area, and I'm so glad I did, considering the rain we've had. (NB: although constructed to Omlet's guidance, it's not quite long enough to pull out the droppings tray - had to reposition the Eglu and run at a diagonal! Be warned.)

No.2 - I've already bought extra roosting bars, as everyone says this makes cleaning easier. I've yet to do a major clean, but I've bought a special scrubbing brush intended for garden pots.

No.3 (and it should be no.1 really) - Aubiose! It's well worth getting some, plenty of other threads on here about this. In fact, I wish I'd bought this first and used it instead of the bark.

None of this cost me much, about £15 apart from the log-roll and bark.

I've also invested in Omlet's moveable netting, now that IS expensive :roll: but it is well worth it, only came last weekend and I immediately saw why it is worth paying for.

Bet you can't wait for delivery day, I am still waiting for eggs but the entertainment value of having chickens in the garden is fantastic! As one of my (jealous) friends said 'it makes the garden come alive'. :D I couldn't agree more!

Hi Hazel,

Welcome aboard and congratulations on purchasing your eglu and girls - they will arrive on my birthday so its bound to be a good omen! :wink::lol::lol:

What to do as a new chicken mum. :think:

Read the forum :!:

Get a comfy chair near the eglu as you will be glued to it

Buy loads of tinned sweetcorn & give them some in the afternoon as treats

Buy some hemcore if your girls are not going on grass as it makes a great base for the bottom of the run

Get a great camera and share your photos with us! :lol:

Hello,

I'm so jealous. 5th April is my birthday, and you're getting a much better present than I could ever hope for!

These forums (fora?) are great, and well done for getting on them so quickly - it took me over 18 months to get in touch, though I frequently dipped in for advice.

Get some chicken sitters lined up for holidays is my advice. This was a real worry before we got them, but we soon found people queuing up to look in on the girls.

Then relax and enjoy them!

Hello Hazel....a big welcome from me too! :D I would say......take everyone elses advice above!!! :roll::lol:

I spent a lot of time boring people (anyone who would listen) about how I had ordered some chickens and how excited I was and how I couldn't wait for them to arrive - to the point that I was receiving emails (from people at work) addressed to Mrs Chicken.......but we'll understand your excitement if no-one else does!!

Hello Hazel and welcome to the barking world of chicken keeping! :lol:

the only advice I can give you is never forget your username/password for this forum! :shock:

The people on here are great, kind, caring and thoughtful. Any questions you have, just ask!

All the best for the 5th April :D

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I vote that you have chosen the best colour Eglu (red eglu)

It will certainly bring your garden to life. I've had my chooks for three weeks now and we've already had 19 eggs. Some days no eggs, sometimes one egg, but when I find 2 eggs I do the chicken dance :dance: I cant wait for the day when we get 3 eggs - that will be just amazing.

I love watching the girlies and talking to them. I let them out for an hour before bedtime so that I can keep and eye on them and they follow me round the garden especially if they know I've got a bit of corn in my pocket.

Getting pet chooks is the best thing I've done in years :D:D:D:D:D:D

WELCOME !! :dance:

You wont regret getting an eglu or chickens.

chickens really are a source of amazement and amusement :lol:

We find our girls a pleasure and so easy to look after.

This forum is great for any questions.

My tip would be something called Hemcore or Aubiose to place in the eglu run. Its a type of horsey bedding (you can find at farmer suppliers or horsey shops) and it really keeps the run fresh and smelling nice and the poo just seems to disappear in it. (about £6.50 a bale and lasts for ages)

ps - we love photos, so let us know when your eglu and girls arrive. :)

Hi hazel

Join us mad hen lovers and get very excited as you wait. Got ours in April 2 years ago and have made lots of lovely friends here and had the best time. A place to escape the worries of the world :D:D

Any questions just ask :wink:

BBx

Hi Hazel

Nothing to add advice -wise, except to say keep reading the forum. I hate it if i can't get on for a day...no-one else i know understands the point of keeping chickens at all :shock:

Remember, there is no such thing as a silly question and we LOVE photos, although some would say we've seen a bit too much of my husband in photos (see the Pancake Day thread!)

:oops:

the only advice I can give you is never forget your username/password for this forum! :shock:

Hence my absence for months!!! :oops: VERY sound advice!!!!

This is a great forum, really unpretencious and helpful, you can get answers to any problems you might have (and not just on chickens!!)