LuckyChickenLover-

How did you guys name your chickens?

Awww, I've loved reading all of these!!

Well, like someone else here, we for some reason thought our first girls should have real ladies' names, but also wanted the names to be somehow relevant to us. So...

Meggie the speckledy was named after OH dear departed Mum.

Edie, a Columbian black-tail, was named after my dear departed Nanna.

After that we wanted to name them to pair with our other pets. So, to pair with our bearded collie Sorrel and stay with the herby theme, we named Rosemary (she has a green sheen on her black feathers so that suited her).

Our puppy Basil had to have a Sybil of course :) (and she is brown and black, the same as him)

Our Bengal cat Mr D'Arcy had to have his lovely Elizabeth :wink: (and she is cream and brown, as is he)

And Lola, our Laperm cat....well we named our cockerel Rico to pair with her. We were thinking of Copacabana...."Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl....his name was Rico, he wore a diamond" :dance:

And we had one one left over, who was known as the chicken with no name for several days. We decided on a proepr lady name that was related to Christmas as we got them in December, so we chose Ivy!

Maybe we have too much time on our hands :roll:

Our newbie columbines - well, Honey just popped into our heads for her, it suited, and so we picked another name to match - Treacle!! :D

Edited by Guest

Oh goodness where to start... :think:

I started with names from comedy 'Dinner Ladies' - Stan, Petula, Anita, Jean, Dolly, Bren, Pippa

Then I went with a blue theme - Sky, Smurf

I let my husband name two - Ninja, Mum-chuck :roll:

Then I started on cartoon/film/book characters and thats pretty much where its stayed - Tarzan, Jane, Kala, Fred, Wilma, Betty, Bam-Bam, Dino, Dougal, Florence, Fletcher, Gonzo, Screech, Zebedee, Buzz, Woody, Jessie

If they arent going to be pets then they dont get names or they get names based on looks or features - Disco Sue, Chris Moyles, Johnny Vegas, Gammy, Fluff, Whitey, Blue, Stripey, Stinky, Hoodie, Flares..

Well, lets see.....

K, F and C - the kids named.

Molly, Polly Dolly, Maisy and miss shiny bumhole (now miss fluffy runway) - my idea. I couldn't tell three of the ex batts apart - hence names that sound the same. It doesn't really matter what they're called. Miss shiny bumhole named because she had a bright red bum!

Meilin and Mulan were named chinese/japanese type names to keep with the pekin theme.

Willomina apparently is a dutch name (for a duch bantam)

Heather is named after Heather Mills - she has a wonky foot (blame the husband)

Camilla and Agatha - because they look like older, well to do ladies!

Bubbles the Bantam is the last of my first 3 Chickens and named by my Daughter after a Childrens TV programme called the Power Puff Girls. There were 3 girls in the programme called Bubbles, Blossom and Buttercup.

In March last year I rescued 3 Hens and I wanted to give them Spring flower names, so they were called Tulip, Daffodil, Primrose and Snowdrop.

My new girls are also flowers, Lily, Daisy, Iris and Bluebell.

I have 4 more chickens on order and have already been named, Violet, Rose, Marigold and Poppy.

I also have more flower names lined up for future use, Pansy, Petunia, Clover, Sweetpea and Hyacinth. Buttercup may be used again as well.

What a great thread - I have :)'d as I read thru.

Mine

Daisy, Belle & Doritt - just sounded like good names for hens, the seem nice girly names

Minnie and Dorcas - from Larkrise to Candleford. Although after todays fight* my son has renamed them Ronnie and Reggie :lol:

* I've had the three hybrids for 10days now and decided that they would have their first, supervised, outing into the garden. They just loved it. Until I foolishly decided to see if the Orpys (I've had them 8 days & are living separately in a (green eglu) next to the (cube red) ) would behave if they had the run of the garden. Oh how wrong, the more aggressive Orpy, lunged at (white chicken) Doritt feet & claws up in the air (like cock fighting), beak pecking. The second Orpy came in for support; well I moved quickly to break it up. Fortunately, no injuries but it looked and sounded awful. Needless to say the Orpys went back in to the run and the hybrids had the run of the garden for 2hours. :D

Rachel

I've named mine a random selection of famous people or characters..

Peggy Mitchell - Silkie- out of EastEnders

Pat Butcher - Silkie- out of EastEnders

Betty Williams- Gingernut- out of Coronation St

Rita Sullivan - Gingernut- out of Coronation St

Blanche Hunt - Pekin- out of Coronation St

Deardre Barlow- Pekin- out of Coronation St - Rest in peace..

John- Pekin x Silkie- (jedward)

Edward- Pekin x Silkie (jedward)

Cheryl (Cole) - Turkey hen(sings in the morning- no offence to Cheryl cole)

so really just random names :P

Well Kipper and Not were named after a Monty Python election special sketch "two frogs, one called Kipper and the other not,"

Well you did ask

Pansy came with her name...but it suits her perfectly, particularly because as a Sussex Light she has lovely marking on her feathers round her neck..

Not sure what names I would choose for further chooks but i am quite tempted to Beryl and Meryl....xxxx

The day before I got my original girls I managed to get Spice Girls tickets so we named the original girls after the Spice Girls.

Then we went through a phase of chefs...Fanny, Nigella, Delia & Mrs. Beeton.

We have also been through a Liverpool phase...Rafa Henitas, Dalglish, Paisley, Torres, Gerrard & Shankley.

maud, shalott, mariana, fatima = tennyson poems

martha, prudence, lucy, eleanor, sally, lizzie = beatles songs

bea already had a name when she came to us

Babs + Davina because they're old womeny names

Davinas friend because we couldn't tell the 2 belgian quail bantams apart :lol:

Alvon, Simon + Theodore from the chipmunks

Purkinje ... they were born in Biology and purkinje are heart fibres

Pox ... chicken pox

Nugget ... well

Cilla (black) the silkie ... also kind of old womany

Morning...

Our first 3 girls from Omlet were named by 3 of my children...Cleo(patra)...she is big and black...Fifi (Ellin's favourite character at the time)...Princess Leia (Christian is a Star Wars fan)...RIP :(

I then decided that old-fashioned ladies names suit chickens really well...keeping it in the family...we named our white star (Stella...my grandmothers name) and our Columbine/Skyline was named Mildred after my other grandmother.

Our next two girls are named Gertrude (my MIL's, mothers middle name) and our Speckeldy is Clara (my FIL's mothers, middle name)...we didn't use their first names as Ellin our daughter is named after them...(Ell)en and W(in)ifred...we later found out that Ellin is a name in its right...Irving Berlins second wife was named Ellin...it was a very popular name in Wales in the past.

Our new girls are named Lulu (named by Christian who lost Princess Leia a few weeks ago)...she is a Maran Cuvree and finally we have Violet...our Bluebelle...this was the middle name of my Grandmother Mildred...it suits her because of her colour also.

Enjoy your day!

Lou :D

Honey, a gingernut ranger, because she's the colour of honey.

Sparkle, a Miss Pepperpot, because the iridescence in her feathers catches the sun.

Yvonne was named by ES. He said the other 2 had really stupid names and he would give her a 'proper' name, so he asked his friends in school and one of them came up with Yvonne.

Lucy is named after my niece and she's chuffed to bits about having a chicken named after her.