LuckyChickenLover-

How did you guys name your chickens?

I'll start. :wink:

Priscilla was named Priscilla because out of a batch of ten eggs, she was one of the first to hatch. The first two to hatch were named Elvis and Priscilla because they rocked n' rolled as eggs. :lol:

Lucky was named Lucky because she was the smallest of all the chicks in her batch, and we didn't think that she would survive :( . She's absolutely fine now though. :D

Una Paloma Blanca because she's mainly white and the song was stuck in my head.

Mattilda and Mrs Jones are sort-of named after the person who gave me money for chickens as a present.

Miss Blenner-Hassett because her feathers look tweedy, and one of the tweediest people on film is Miss Blenner-Hassett from the Penrith Tea Rooms in Withnail and I.

Alan because she's a Partridge (geddit?) pekin bantam.

Kuro because it means black in Japanese and she's a black Japanese bantam.

Ceppy Wonton because she's mushroom (ceppy) coloured, and because I call bantams bontoms and like wonton bontom as a name.

I was going to name my chickens Doris and Hilda. Spent weeks thinking about it, waiting for them to arrive.

But the minute I saw them, they looked so funny and quirky, and having one GNR and one PP I immediately changed my mind and named them Fred and Ginger!

Not exactly original I know - but it seems to suit them both!

Hens remind me of lovely old ladies, especially when they run/waddle after you in a hurry, I don't know, I just think old ladies names suit them. So I've had Babs, Gladys, Mabel and Betty. My new lot may be Blanche (For a white one), Dorothy, Beryl and Ethel I think.

I named them after cartoon characters from Avatar: The Last Airbender :oops:

(I've had a lifelong love for animation...and still watch cartoons!)

"Suki" apparently means to like/love...and also "vulnerable to attack"...which sums hens up perfectly!

"Toph" as her namesake is a dark haired, larger than life character...which I'm hoping she will grow into!

:D

I wanted Welsh names, but they had to be ones that English people can pronounce, as my husband is English/Irish :)

Blodwyn - in Welsh means "white flower", so the obvious name for a black chicken :)

Gwen (Gwennie in English, Gwenno in Welsh - that's what I call her) - A sweet name for a sweet little chook

Megan - was going to be Myfanwy but DH can't cope with lack of vowels, so it was Megan instead.

Next ones are going to be called Dilys, Deryn and Settyn, if I'm ever allowed more chickens!

ok... Cocoa was named because YS wanted a 'brown chook' but they didn't have one so he got her instead :lol: We also got Sugar a white girl that is no longer with us :( at the same time.

Then we got Flo and Dory - named from characters in 'Finding Nemo'

Then Bumble was named by OS for only the reason known to him.. :lol: and Pepsi was named by me as I was drinking Pepsi at the time of trying to choose a name :)

Pixie was named Pixie because I think she looks like a PIxie :) and I did have 'Fairy' to go with her, but upon choosing her friend she didn't look like a 'fairy' so I named her Tinks after a friend and also with the same fairy theme. :)

DD named most of ours apart from Tango who was DS's choice. Probably because she was orangey?

BeBe (R.I.P.) was after DD's XBox Live name :roll:

Bella and Esme - not terribly original but from Twilight.

Roxy - Just suited her.

Doris - DD had a bit of a hyper moment but it suits! - although DD has been reading this with me and noted another Doris was being considered so feels justified in her choice!

Two of my original girls were give rather tongue in cheek names starting with (H)en. The DH named Grace - as in, "For what we are about to receive.........."

Within in days of getting them I knew I had give any future girls the names Cissie and Ada - as in the Les Dawson and Roy Barroclough characters due to the way chooks natter and gossip and puff out their chests. Again, I allowed the DH to name one and she's called Madge - he said she looks majestic.

It was touch and go that we called the new girls Cissie, Ada and Madge - as I also considered Backy, Hilary and Glo after the famous England back row......but my girls are beauties!

My brother called his Ruth, Pam & Mary after my Mum and her two sisters. :lol: They are true to their hooman name type too. It tempted me to call my news girls after my 3 old school buddies that I still meet once or twice a year - but they'd never forgive me.

My son wanted a black chicken and called her Coco. I liked the name Prudence but thought it was a bit long for a chicken so she became Prue and Pipa is short for Pipsqueak as she was smaller than the rest and used to squeak. When I got the ex bats Lily and Lola just seemed to suit them.

Wanted my girls to be God fearing - however Bathsheba was King Davids wife not sure of her reputation , Delilah was a hairdresser of sorts and Jezebel well what can I say. Being new to chuck keeping - apart from Bathsheba who has more black on head I cant tell them apart. I am thinking of rings - how sad is that. My YS says he knows which is which. I can't

Someone has suggested I call my 6 new hens:

Maureen, Anne, Denise, Linda, Bernadette and Coleen. Who are they?

Answers on a postcard :lol:

Are they in the mood for dancing? 8)

I suspect they may be! Just their way of crying out "Give a little attention to me" I guess!!! :lol:

I was expecting to get 4 to 6 ex batts and got leg rings so that I would be able to tell them apart. When I collected them I lost count how many they put in my carriers, got them home and found I had 7! I looked at my leg rings, found I had a nice rainbow of colours, counted the number of colours in a rainbow.... ding! Then had to come up with names that mean colours, discovered jewels & precious stones, and here we are :wink: (Also leaves potential to add a Jet, Diamond, Pearl etc :think: )

P