Space Chick Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 I have been suffering with terrible stomach pains for over 6 months. After numerous hospital tests, I have been told that I have sludge in my Gall Bladder. Apparently in many people it causes no problems at all, others will be in terrible pain, typically I fall into the latter category Anyone with any experience of it? From what I have learnt so far I have been put on some tablets to try, but if they don't work I may need my Gall Bladder removed Also I have been told that eating dairy can flare it up, on the foods to avoid list were cheese, butter and EGGS!!! I have 15 chickens for goodness sake, and love nothing more than a poached egg on toast I eat eggs every day, I love eggs, my girls work so hard to provide me with them, the whole thought fills me with cold dread Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 you'll soon find what flares you up matey, keep a food diary, it might not be eggs at all Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 My OH had his out a couple of years ago. He had gall stones though. When you eat fat, the gall bladder squeezes the bile into your stomach to help metabloise the fat. Avoiding all fat should solve the problem of pain OH was told he could live perfectly happily with gall stones, but must avoid all fat. Tomato puree on toast etc After a while, he had it removed and hasn't had any problems since. Hope you get yours sorted! p.s Keyhole surgery, in overnight and out the next day. Pain killers for 2 days and then fine! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 True christian, it is about the fat you eat. I'm fairly sure eggs have little or no fat, so they are less likely to cause problems than other fat containing things - butter, cakes, pastries etc. I'd give them a try to see. And as Christian says, the operation is a very minor procedure these days. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 I had a few stones about 18 months ago,but after the scan I had,where they REALLY poked me about,I had one excrutiating night,then nothing - I think the poking made them pass I sympathise - it is an agonising condition.Have the offered you an op of any sort? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 4, 2010 Author Share Posted May 4, 2010 I have been in agony when I have been poked and prodded. They are trying the tablets first, but will review in a month, surgery is a possibility. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 I come from a family that have gallstone/bladder problems, grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins and my mum had her's out years ago. I had a scan a couple of years ago because of pain and the person who did it said that although there were no stones a lot of people can have pain before the stones appear. My mum had to stay off of fatty food although she's never been into dairy food. She's not had any problems since having the gallbladder removed. One of my uncle's had his stones zapped by ultrasound I think. As someone suggested try keeping a food diary, at least that way you will know what to avoid. I've not heard of sludge though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 4, 2010 Author Share Posted May 4, 2010 Thanks for your support. I have been reading up and you can "flush" your gall bladder. I am tempted to try it, any thoughts? http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?page=liver-problems&subpage=gall-bladder Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 I would never even have thought it possible Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 4, 2010 Author Share Posted May 4, 2010 My logic is, its got to be better than surgery Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Aimee Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 Hello My advice is to avoid the gall bladder flush - I read up on it when my gall bladder was playing up but there are all sorts of possible complications that could cause damage. If it did actually work (although I'm a bit cynical) problems can re-occur later. After six years of excruciating pain (I really sympathise with you!) I was diagnosed with gall stones - apparently women of my age (I was 28 at the time) and vegetarians (I'd been one for 15 years) do not get gall bladder problems. I guess I was the exception. I was given all sorts of tablets before finally going under the knife and it's the best thing I ever did. I'm a real wimp but there wasn't much pain - in for keyhole surgery in the morning, discharged the same afternoon and back at work a week and a half later. Four years on and the only lasting effects ate three minor scars No need to modify consumption of dairy/eggs etc afterwards (prior to surgery I only had to look at a cream cake to suffer a pain attack). Don't worry about it - I only wish I'd been diagnosed earlier and not have to put up with so many unnecessary pain attacks. At least you know what the problem is and know there is a permanent solution if you need it. Hope that helps! Aimee Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WarrensWorld Posted May 4, 2010 Share Posted May 4, 2010 p.s Keyhole surgery, in overnight and out the next day. Pain killers for 2 days and then fine! I had mine removed last year by keyhole surgery, I was in hospital for three days. Over here it's belt and bracers, they put a drain in to be sure, to be sure. My surgeon Mr Eustace, explained everything to me how, why and when (I'm type two diabetic). I was never prescribed pain killers, I never felt any discomfort or pain at all, either before or after the operation. Feeling fine as long as I leave very greasy food alone . PS: never heard of "gall bladder sludge" though.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Thats very interesting although I would be worried about doing the flush without getting myself checked out first. A lot to be said for healthier eating and cutting alcohol down (a bit ). My mum actually collapsed in the doctors after they ignored her symptoms for over a year because she didn't fit into their normal guidelines. If you do do it let us know how you get on. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 5, 2010 Author Share Posted May 5, 2010 A lot to be said for healthier eating and cutting alcohol down (a bit ). I DO eat healthily (Ok we have a weekly Indian takeaway, but the other 6 days), I make everything from scratch, ensure I have my 5 a day, and I drink within recommended guidelines (apart from the odd occasion on holidays etc). So without having a diet that would suit the average rabbit, I don't know what else I can do with my diet Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 A lot to be said for healthier eating and cutting alcohol down (a bit ). I DO eat healthily (Ok we have a weekly Indian takeaway, but the other 6 days), I make everything from scratch, ensure I have my 5 a day, and I drink within recommended guidelines (apart from the odd occasion on holidays etc). So without having a diet that would suit the average rabbit, I don't know what else I can do with my diet Sorry Space Chick I didn't mean you - I meant me, I've been overdoing it a bit recently Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 5, 2010 Author Share Posted May 5, 2010 Sorry Seagazer I think I'm just in defensive mode at the moment after battling pain and hospitals for the last 6 months. I do make the occasional quiche and pasty so they can go if I am being honest. But most meals I do are healthy The thing is, you have to have some enjoyment in life Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Thing is,although the diet can help,anyone can get Gall Bladder problems, even the healthiest eater. Also a glutton can get nothing at all. I fall into the latter catagory,but get the problems too I think something like 1 in 3 of us will suffer with Gall Bladder pain at some time in our life Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 You poor thing Debs You have my sympathy; it runs in our family too, and I don't fit into the categories of being 'fat, fair, fertile and forty' but I have had the odd gall bladder niggle despite eating healthily like you. I guess that it's just like the cholesterol thing; if it runs in your family, then you're still likely to get it, diet or otherwise I was in a lot of pain with it once, but the quack dismissed it as a tummy upset. If it flares up as bad again, then I'll push for a scan. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Oh dear, I do fit the fat, fair, fertile and forty model, and I do get the odd niggle, lets hope not more than that. the things I struggle with are fish and chips and of all things avocados. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 I've just come back from a long weekend away with the most divine cooked breakfasts..... mine has only just stopped niggling. Skinny, dark, 47 and most definitely NOT fertile! .... there's always one who bucks the trend! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 5, 2010 Author Share Posted May 5, 2010 I am fat, fair-ish, not fertile and 36. Maybe I am just an early developer Have had to take today off work aswell, as was being sick and in a lot of pain. I have had some mexican bean soup for lunch though, and have felt a bit better after eating (and I have read that chilli is good for your Gall Bladder). I really hope I can be back in work tomorrow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 Ginger and lemon are supposed to be good too Debs. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SeramaSilly Posted May 5, 2010 Share Posted May 5, 2010 I do feel for you Debs - a lady that I used to work with used to disappear for about an hour at a time and I used to think she was having a good gossip somewhere and then she told me that she had to go to and lie on a couch in one of the consulting rooms because she was in so much pain! She had the operation and no problem since and that was years ago. Sophie x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 I was fair, only slightly overweight and still fertile (39) when I had mine removed by keyhole surgery. I'd been vegetarian for 15 years then. I'd had excruciating pain many times before the op and found it best to avoid dairy - and chips - but could eat eggs. It took me a bit longer than just a couple of days to recover from the op but that may have been due to other problems which I'm only just finding out about. I had an office job and wasn't able to work for 6 weeks. The flushing sounds interesting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 How's your inner beach today? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...