Space Chick Posted May 8, 2010 Author Share Posted May 8, 2010 Pretty good Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted May 8, 2010 Share Posted May 8, 2010 Yayyy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted August 29, 2011 Author Share Posted August 29, 2011 Resurrecting a very old thread here.. I got to the bottom on my Gall Bladder problem... Anything acidic... Had been fine for over a year, and then had an urge for some orange juice... 2 litres drunk in 2 days and I have agony again However, at least I know to avoid it again... Thought I'd post incase anyone else gets problems, as it really is rather painful Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
snowberry Posted August 29, 2011 Share Posted August 29, 2011 MY vet had his gall stones out years ago & can only eat porridge...is this a result of the operation of the times (1980's?). My neighbour had hers out the other week, they vacuumed it & she was out the same day! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 29, 2011 Share Posted August 29, 2011 My sister had the keyhole surgery last year. Hasn't looked back. Might be worth considering. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted August 29, 2011 Share Posted August 29, 2011 Interesting reading this - DS2 is having an ultrasound for gallstones on Wednesday. He definitely doesn't fit the type, he's nine. He has suffered with stomach pain and regurgitation for a few months, fatty food and milk make it worse. He has also had a test for H pylori and we are waiting to find out what is causing the trouble. We have a family history of acid reflux and Crohn's but luckily that has been ruled out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 I had a scan 2 weeks ago - no stones - but pain between the ribs. Not neccesarily after fatty food though - so I think we are barking up the wrong tree. I am on PPIS's for gastric troubles an come from a family of ulcer sufferers. I think mine is stress related as nothing on holiday. Hope you get it sorted. ES had gastric problems since he was little - gastric ulcers common in little ones apparently - hes on PPI's too. Gastroscopy did not show anything. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kinsk Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 MrK suffers with his gall stones. They usually flair up if he's been overdoing it. He is much better eating smaller portions. Anything processed - cakes, biscuits, white bread etc. tend to kick them off whereas homemade biscuits and cake he can get away with, so we've suspected trans fats and whatever other junk they put in those things. Interesting about the orange juice though as he does drink quite a lot. When he was diagnosed with them I did a lot of reading up on the flush but it had very mixed reviews with some people saying that the stones which were passed weren't stones at all just the olive oil that had solidified due to the lemon juice and stomach acids. He takes magnesium tablets everyday which seem to help, or he certainly notices a difference after not taking them for a few days. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 Apple juice is supposed to help dissolve gallstones. Also regular use of milk thistle and/or globe artichoke capsules work wonders (you can get these at healthfood shops, boots etc). I tried the gallbladder flush once NEVER again. REALLY hope you are feeling better soon - oddly enough, it's one of my colleagues first day back in the office today after having her gallbladder remove, so I will be pumping her for info! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
squiffs Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 (edited) A girl in my office (22) had hers removed at the beginning of the year - she was off work for 2 weeks as the pain medication they gave her made her really sick but she's fine now - eats whatever she likes! Edited August 30, 2011 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickendoodle Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 I too had my gall bladder out - 8 years ago now. It was keyhole surgery, stayed in overnight and right as rain within a few days. Have had no problems at all since and just have a little scar in my belly button! If an op is suggested it really is nothing to worry about and will probably transform your life Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kinsk Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 Forgot about apple juice, it is supposed to be good but only the cloudy one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 Forgot about apple juice, it is supposed to be good but only the cloudy one. Oooo, didn't know it had to be the cloudy one! Thanks for the tip!!! It's something to do with malic acid (no idea if that is the correct spelling!) in apple juice that helps to dissolve stones, I believe? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 Why have my PPI's been changed to a - The tablets are knowns as Proton pump inhibitors (PPI's) - I do not swallow a every day - enough to give anyone gallstones not to mention wind Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 because the letters 'P P' without a space in between are the code for a picture of a pepperpot chicken smiley Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
helenp Posted August 30, 2011 Share Posted August 30, 2011 I'm having my gall bladder out on the 13/09/11!! Having lost 5 stone last year & having hardly any fatty foods tiggered them. Was admitted with acute pancreatis in March & nil by mouth for 3 days, just drips. Must admit am a little nervous, but just knowing that hopefully I can have a cream cake without worrying is getting me there. Have it done, anything has to be better than the pain it causes us all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickendoodle Posted August 31, 2011 Share Posted August 31, 2011 I'm having my gall bladder out on the 13/09/11!! Having lost 5 stone last year & having hardly any fatty foods tiggered them. Was admitted with acute pancreatis in March & nil by mouth for 3 days, just drips.Must admit am a little nervous, but just knowing that hopefully I can have a cream cake without worrying is getting me there. Have it done, anything has to be better than the pain it causes us all. Try not to be too nervous - it really is fine. I had a bit of discomfort for a couple of days but the incisions are very small - about half an inch at the navel and 2 smaller ones - one on your side and the other one I can't even remember where it was, somewhere around the ribs I think! They blow you up with gas so that they can see inside better and that can be a bit uncomfortable (and unexpected as you look about 5 months pregnant when you wake up). I had 2 weeks off work as that is what you are supposed to take after surgery but I felt pretty good after 5 days. I think you need the 2 weeks as the anaesthetic takes a while to get out of your system. I remember taking the dressings off with trepidation and thinking wow is that all it is! Just have plenty of rest and take all the pampering there is on offer. Pesky gall bladders - they don't seem to do much apart from cause trouble and I haven't discovered any downsides to not having one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted August 31, 2011 Share Posted August 31, 2011 I clearly remember my Nonna having hers out when I was young; in the days when they did a big op and you stayed in for 2 weeks. I think she was pretty untroubled afterwards. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 30, 2014 Author Share Posted May 30, 2014 Reviving this very old thread with an update!! After 4 years of managing my Gall Bladder Sludge very well by avoiding citrus and not overdoing fatty foods, it has come back to bite me I awoke in the middle of the night nearly 2 weeks ago in horrendous pain Went to work the following day, had to come home ill I was in agony. Saw my Dr who has confirmed it's my Gall Bladder and she's guessing the sludge has turned to stones. I had 3 days off sick but have been working through it since and balancing pain meds (strong ones make me drowsy so I can't drive, weaker ones take enough edge off for me to just about function) Today has been a particularly bad day, meaning I used up some flexi time to finish work early It's just making me so drained.... And I have a big gig in a 400 seater theatre tomorrow night, so I can't afford to be poorly tomorrow!! My emergency scan appointment has come through for a week Tuesday and then the Drs will take it from there. I know many if you have been in this position. Any words of wisdom for pain management? What I eat is making no difference either, even a piece of salmon with some boiled veg had me rolling in agony, as did some porridge oats and raspberries this morning. Moan over Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 30, 2014 Share Posted May 30, 2014 How odd - after a good 4 year break my Gall Bladder pain has come back to bite me in the bum this month I have seen my Doctor who says I need to decide whether to carry on & hope for the best, or just have it whipped out, which seems like a very tempting option right now. But its just having the surgery, you know, I hate that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 31, 2014 Share Posted May 31, 2014 Sorry to hear that you're bith poorly. I think that if mine was to flare up again, i would have it taken out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gavclojak Posted May 31, 2014 Share Posted May 31, 2014 I had an impacted gall bladder when I was 30, I was eating fat free, weighted just under 10 stone and at 5'7 wasn't overweight. I had six months of bouts of agonising pain, usually every six/eight week so when the doctor said they would take it out I was So happy. I was given the contents of my gall bladder in a sample bottle and it looked like tiny bits of gravel( my operation date was my birthday and the consultant wrote HAPPY BIRTHDAY on the sample bottle) I had the gall bladder removed and never had a minutes pain after. Few days recovery...happy days Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Grandmashazzie Posted May 31, 2014 Share Posted May 31, 2014 Hi Space chick sorry to hear you are unwell.as new just seeing this thread,my YD had sludge due to blood disorder,Her sludge was removed when removing her spleen.It was like very fine gravel.Fatty food really set her off too.I didn't think acidic food OJ and raspberries would.They really make me unwell ,I suffer from GERD or GORD depending what site you use.I stopped the proton inhibitor drugs and control it with Centaurium herbal drops.I just wondered if you have GORD kicking in to muddy the diagnosis? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janepie33 Posted May 31, 2014 Share Posted May 31, 2014 OH had his gall bladder removed 2 weeks ago due to gall bladder sludge. He had a hospital visit a few months ago with intense pain - they thought it was maybe a heart attack, but further tests indicated sludge and tiny stones, which are the worst combination to have as the tiny stone can migrate into the bile ducts causing intense pain. Which happened to OH. He ended up in hospital again, terribly dehydrated and very yellow due to jaundice and an infection in the bile duct. Research on the internet informed me that other people's gall stone problems could be triggered by foods such as bananas and strawberries, not always fatty food. A small procedure to clear the bile duct did not work and OH had to have an emergency gall bladder removal. He was in hospital for 9 days and then off work for a further 2 weeks. Feeling MUCH better now! I'm afraid it seems that if you have pain with stones / gravel or sludge, the only cure is a gall bladder removal. Hope you feel better soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted May 31, 2014 Share Posted May 31, 2014 I have GORD too, and have had a couple of bouts of pain which I have put down to gall bladder. I am careful not to eat too much fatty stuff and avoid avocados which for some reason set me off. I am fair and only slightly overweight. I have reduced my medication but dare not come off it all together, I still get the odd bout of reflux. I have problems like this on both sides of my family and my dad was hospitalised for a month 8 years ago after his oesophagus spontaneously ruptured. Hope that you feel better soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...