abwsco Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 Could someone please explain in simple terms what a hung parliament actually means for government, i tried googling it but got even more confused! Does this help BBC Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 it becomes hard for a party to change/make laws, as the opposition is strong and can block them. That can be good as too much power goes to parties' heads, but it can lead to lots of discussion/argument and little action. For example, the Tories wanted to form a War Cabinet immediately which I badly wanted but that might be delayed because of the policies of the other parties. That's how I see it anyway. I've learnt a lot about politics during this election. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 Or it could be a good thing Its worked well in scotland. Means that parties have to really back up their proposals well to get things through Depends how petty they decide to be. Its my cricket bat so you're not playing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 I cannot believe the arrogance of Gordon Brown I'd hoped he might have the dignity to accept defeat but it seems he intends to cling on to power despite losing the best part of 100 seats I've already told the kids that if Labour & Lib Dems join forces and there are protests & demonstrations I'll be at the front of the queue I understood that he has a constitutional duty to stay as PM until there is a government to take over...the Lib Dems are the kingmakers here...Nick Clegg has apparently called a meeting on Sunday as I think I am right in saying that he needs 75% of his party to agree with whatever action they decide to take. Unfortunately and as usual, in the absence of any real news the media is indulging itself in its usual frenzy of conjecture and half truths Personally I can't stand "Call me Dave" and would rather have had a Conservative party with William Haig at the helm (although I wouldn't have voted for him either ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 ...I..... would rather have had a Conservative party with William Haig at the helm (although I wouldn't have voted for him either ) I imagine it is only a matter of time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 According to the latest odds, being quoted by Betfair, the chances of a second election by the end of 2010 jumped from 28 per cent to 38 per cent during the course of the today, as political betters started to lay money on a Conservative-led alliance falling apart and David Cameron going to the country in an attempt to win an outright majority. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steph101 Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Come on David!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Come on David!!! Hear Hear!! What on earth is he doing courting a party that 77% of the electorate have rejected. He should go it alone and hold a snap election at some point in the future. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 10, 2010 Author Share Posted May 10, 2010 Come on David!!! Hear Hear!! What on earth is he doing courting a party that 77% of the electorate have rejected. He should go it alone and hold a snap election at some point in the future. I totally agree! And if its after march next year my eldest can vote too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helly Welly Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 The smaller parties wouldn't be able to afford to pay for another election so would argue that it would be very unfair on them. I want a coalition government to work but fear it wouldn't. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 I have a feeling that he will go it alone and govern in a minority; it would be more hassle, but more likely I think. I hear that there could be a decision as early as tonight. Brown now looks like a dead man walking and even his own ranks are conspiring against him if rumours are to be believed. I doubt that Cleggy would want to be allied to a party, which has bankrupted the country. Even I am interested in this, and I hate politics after being swamped by it in my youth Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 (edited) Brown has been very rude to and about Clegg in th enot too distant past. As much as the two parties policies might be more similar I can't see lib/lab happening. Edited May 10, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Come on David!!! Hear Hear!! What on earth is he doing courting a party that 77% of the electorate have rejected. He should go it alone and hold a snap election at some point in the future. because hes in a party that 63.9% of the electorate rejected and doesn't have enough of a majority maybe Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Come on David!!! Hear Hear!! What on earth is he doing courting a party that 77% of the electorate have rejected. He should go it alone and hold a snap election at some point in the future. because hes in a party that 63.9% of the electorate rejected and doesn't have enough of a majority maybe These are the stats CON36.1% LAB29.0% LD23.0% OTHERS 11.9 so which party rules? Oh I know ...let's give the Others a go ...might as well What happened to the missing vote? I can't recall what the turnout was but where are all the people that didn't bother? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 I've had two dreams about Nick Clegg There was a Conservative chappie on the BBC a little while ago who said it was a bit worrying to hear that Nick Clegg has met up with Gordon Brown and/or Labour party aides twice in secret over the weekend. He basically said if there were to be a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition government it wouldn't go down too well with the Conservatives if the Lib Dems kept running to Labour behind their backs if things weren't going their way. I can see his point. I don't think a coalition will work, the two parties are too different and they'll never agree on Europe, immigration or electoral reform. There'll be noses out of joint regardless of what happens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 I've got the answer We need a radical overhaul of the british electoral system. Separating the English, Scottish and Welsh parliaments is the only measure that will satisfy everyone - England would have a majority Tory government by now, Scotland and Wales Labour ones. Ta da We could leave the Isle of Wight for the Lib Dems Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 IoW is very Tory. Cornwall might claim LD but they might want a lib/cons coalition for their tiny country Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 They are going to have to act like normal husbands and wives. Compromise to keep a happy household however much it disgruntles someone. I'm happy for them to try and work it out. It would be wrong to expect any party to agree entirely with you - with me I don't agree with Labour and I never will - especially when Mr Blunkett was happily quoting Stalin yesterday. Not on matey! But then I agree a little with the greens, a little with the libs and a little with the tories. So I hope they ruddy well sort themselves out pronto and get this country out of the mire. Interestingly though twice as many people actually voted for BNP (and that's another never ever) than the SDP who got 6 or so seats and the BNP none (not that I would want them to have any seats, but it's not exactly fair when you look at it from that angle). Bah politics. Start afresh - who can we call? Who doesn't take any nonsense on here? Claret with her saw. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Gordon intends to resign at the Labour Party conference. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Claret could cut a swathe through the lot of 'em I know what; something more radical. Every constituency could declare themselves a country and send their proportionately elected representative to a parliament somewhere in la la ....sorry EU land. Let them sort it out Right I'm off before I get a PM from the mods. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Long enough for Harriet to set out her stall? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 One reason why we try to steer away from politics on here.... what with that and fox hunting Naahh, I'm staying out of it - I grew up on front line politics and want nowt to do with it now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Naahh, I'm staying out of it - I grew up on front line politics and want nowt to do with it now. OK spill the beans are you Maggie Thatcher? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 10, 2010 Author Share Posted May 10, 2010 Now,OSH,can you imagine Maggie chainsawing in a bikini??? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Gordon intends to resign at the Labour Party conference. He's actually said he will step down and wants a successor to be chosen before the Labour Party conference. He will step down as soon as it is clear who will form the next Government. So we won't have Gordon as PM, whichever way the Lib Dems decide to go. I feel sorry for him, but he had to go, really. It will still be extremely tight for a new Lib/Lab Government as they will be reliant on almost all of the smaller parties also voting their way (particularly if the DUP vote with the Conservatives). I suspect it will fall apart quickly as one or more of the smaller parties seeks to make a stand. A Government cannot be stable with such a tiny and complicated majority, and therefore it is likely to fall sooner rather than later. I think an election this Autumn is almost certain. Whether we will get a referendum on electoral reform before then is anybody's guess. What we will get is, yet again, at least for a while, is a Prime Minister who "Ooops, word censored!"ody voted for What a mess! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...