Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on?

Well thanks for the tip about the Femerelle (sp?) Claret - I too have the on/off duvet issue. I think it may be time for the electric blanket to go back on the bed, though as I do like to get into a cosy bed.

I'm having new double-glazed windows fitted tomorrow :D which I hope is going to make the upstairs of the house a lot warmer. It hasn't been too cold down here in Essex so far, I'm still not wearing a coat to work.

Am thinking of buying a bigger duvet, as OH keeps stealing it over to his side of the bed and it's freezing. In addition, we're probably going to buy a bigger bed, as Mog always comes into our bed for a bit of time in the morning, and now that there's going to be another little person with cold feet around in the next few months, we might need a bit more space. It's not terribly extravagent as we have an Ikea bed, so we'll just get the king size version and put the old double in Imogen's new room. Who needs a toddler bed, when they can have their own double ;)

Had a blanket on the sofa last night...I can feel the heating creeping closer.

I'll pop some on later from home, she is extraordinarily beautiful of course ;) People stop us in the street and comment all the time on how pretty she is. Don't know where the blonde hair came from though, I suddenly realised one day that my brunette baby was extremely blonde. My mum asked if we'd brought the wrong one home from the childminder last time she came to visit. :lol: New Moglet expected in early March, so Mogling needs a new room ready for then, as we'll want the nursery. She'll enjoy the move, that bedroom gets heated by the woodburner as it shares the chimney :) We had to get her a duvet last week as it was freezing in the nursery and she's loving it. Do all children have this burrowing instinct?

Am off to look at king size duvets in my lunch hour, I hate cold feet.

I don't normally put the heating on till at least October but this year I have 80 litres of blackberry wine and 25 litres of elderberry wine bubbling away in the spare room and that needs at least 20 degrees to ferment and at night the temperature had been dropping below that without the heating on a little before bed.

I've just checked my energy consumption on my energy provider's website for last year and this year.

I've used more gas in January, February and May than in those months last year. Well Jan and Feb were really cold and I had my operation in May and had to put the heating on when I got home as I was freezing, so I can account for that. I've used less gas for the past two months (compared to 2009), which is odd as the central heating wasn't on last year for the same months. I've used the same in electricity for the past two months (compared to 2009) and last year I tumble dried everything, but this year I've been home more so the computer has been on for a few hours every day. They appear to have balanced each other out :?

Had a HETAS approved chap around this morning to do a survey and costing for a multi fuel burner, so hopefully the gas consumption will be right down soon :D

I love my multifuel burner Claire :D

A dog walking acquaintance is an energy saving consultant, he's offered to come round to see how I can save fuel. I asked him if it is more economical to have the heating on low all day, or to have it on the timer; he says that it depends on what type of heating system you have, so he's going to look at mine to see if it's do-able.

I have cast iron fireplaces in two of the bedrooms and I am going to ask the chimney sweep (when he comes to sweep the chimney an service the stove) whether it's viable to open them up and use them. I'd love to have an open fire in the bedroom :D8)

I have cast iron fireplaces in two of the bedrooms and I am going to ask the chimney sweep (when he comes to sweep the chimney an service the stove) whether it's viable to open them up and use them. I'd love to have an open fire in the bedroom :D8)

Ooooh - jealous!

I would love that too.

We do have an open fire,but its in the dining room - a room we never use apart from Christmas day,& despite multiple sweeps & inspections we have never got the thing to burn well.

Its now full of terracotta wine racks.

We love the wood burner in the living room though,& Hubby has one in his garage too,so he can work out there in the winter (& I don't have to suffer him indoors complaining that he is bored :roll: )

I'm probably having the Lovenholm, Clare. I think it's made by Hunter, although I've seen it at a show under the Parkray banner.

the heating is on low at work at the moment, but one of the secretaries wears 'fairy clothes' and would rather burn fossil fuel than compromise her fashion sense :roll:

That terminology made me chuckle! We have lots of folk at work who wear little in the way of clothing, and it's no joke when they can't understand why they are cold :evil: .

No heating at my workplace yet. We aren't holding our breath either, with all the Government cutbacks :? Ho hum, get the thermals out!

I'm not holding my breath re fires in the bedrooms, it would just be nice though.

Claire, that stove looks good, I have a Villager Chelsea and love to to bits; it's one of the best things I ever bought.

Fairy clothes as in thin and diaphanous with 'trippy sandals', neither of them seem to possess any woollies,let alone a vest! I call them Icing Sugar Girls... as in a puff of wind or drop of rain and they're gone :roll::lol: Can you imagine them surviving if there was an Armageddon and we had to live off the land? :lol::lol:

Great news Auntye :D:D

Rosie was born dark as me and then was blonde at 2 years old. She's now mid-brown.

That's weird, I was born blonde went auburn/red. my brother was born with dark brown hair and he turned blonde.... :shock:

Back on subject. We have oil fired central heating and it stays off for as long as possible. We aim at turning it on, on the 5th November. Thankfully the west of Ireland winters are a lot milder than Kent ones that we were used to..... :)

Fairy clothes as in thin and diaphanous with 'trippy sandals', neither of them seem to possess any woollies,let alone a vest! I call them Icing Sugar Girls... as in a puff of wind or drop of rain and they're gone :roll::lol: Can you imagine them surviving if there was an Armageddon and we had to live off the land? :lol::lol:

I suppose they'd expect us to look after them :roll: Have you flashed your chainsaw at them yet :lol:

We put the heating on for an hour a couple of weeks ago - we'd been away for a long weekend and the house was freezing when we got back. Other than that it hasn't been on, and luckily we've had enough clear weather to get the washing dry outside..... not for much longer I expect!

I had a several hour long meeting in Wormwood Scrubs chapel on Thursday and was soooooo cold, the coldest I have been for a long time. When the meeting finished it was quite warm outside by comparison :roll: By the time I'd dashed to the tube station, changed a couple of times and managed to catch my train home I was sweltering! :lol:

We don't have a separate heater in our living room, modern house so radiators in each room and nothing else. Sometimes I quite miss a gas fire or something similar to make the front room nice and cosy.

new windows are in, so the bedrooms are all nice and cosy. :D I was freezing this afternoon ... then I realised the fitters had left the bedroom windows open to let the sealant dry out! So I lit the woodburner and now it is really toasty, I managed to wash all the curtains and dry them outside today but they are just 'finishing' in front of the woodburner, they are going to the charity shop so I want to make sure they are dry before they go in a plastic bag.

Charlottechicken, I've done that energy consumption thing (with the British Gas website) and I just couldn't understand the energy consumption - I seem to have used more electricity than last year too. :? I can't work out why.

Well, I've lit the stove for the first time this autumn - I don't usually light it until the Michaelmas Fair is in town. The temp is due to be well down in single figures tonight; a friend in Norfolk has just told me that it will be 2deg there over night.

Rosie and I walked the dog in some local woods after I finished work and it was pretty chilly as the sun went down.

Forgot to add earlier that it is important when running central heating to consider the dew point of your walls; I couldn't understand why my sister's house was always cold even when the heating was on. Turns out her stingy OH (now ex!) didn't let them put it on often..... if your walls get damp then when your central heating is turned on, then heat will quickly exit the walls, so it is more efficient to keep the house dry and warm, not putting the heating on can be a false economy in the longer term apparantly.

Must be getting colder here cos more poop in the nesting box! :?