Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on?

I didn't want to resurrect an old thread so have started a new one for 2010.

So, does anyone have their heating on yet?

I've not switched the heating on and have no other heating on at all in the house. I have had a heater on in the bathroom about three times though, and have tested the central heating, once in August and a couple of days ago, for no more than an hour each time, just to check it is OK.

I think I will cave in soon, but will try and hold out until mid October this year :D

It was 7.4 degrees here at 8pm last night - really cold and wet and miserable and cold today too and windy - no heating as not had new oil boiler installed as yet - only bought it last december!! - plumber coming tomorrow I hope - trench in garden leading from plinth with new tank on ready for pipe =- no kitchen flooring, no utility room flooring = lounge carpet flapped up at corner to get to hatch,airing cupboard empty and all spare rooms filled to overflowing - hope he does not take too long - not got heating on at all but have electric if needed - wood boiler bit the dust!!

So need new lino in kitchen and utility and loads of cleaning and sorting out to do after but hopefully it will be warm enough to work at it! Really cant wait to be warm again

I cracked a couple of weeks ago when there was a very cold spell, I have turned it off again since then but it's really feeling cold at night now. However I will only have it on for a short period in the morning and evening, I will be using my woodburner the rest of the time I hope - garage is full of wood, and I've been cutting and stacking so that it's all ready to use rather than last year when I was having to cut a bit every time i wanted to burn it.

When I was living in the UK, I must admit as soon as it got a little chilly in the house the heating would go on. I just hate being cold. I grew up for the first 22 years of my life in a victorian flat with very high ceilings, sash windows and no central heating. We used to have an electric fire in the lounge and a calor gas heater in the hall. No heating at all in the bedrooms. It was only when I met my husband at the age of 25 did I have central heating for the first time, bliss!!

That's what OH normally says to me - "well . . . put a jumper on". Now I like to go around in shirt sleeves indoors - I feel comfy that way - big bulky jumpers just get in the way. Although when we had that cold snap a short while ago the table was turned and he was whingeing it was cold. Oh did I feel smug when I quoted his little line. And when he mentioned turning the heating on I said it wasn't necessary because I was quite at ease with the temperature. Oh hardy ha as he snuggled up into his orange fleece (looking like a space hopper). :twisted:

the local advice is to keep the heating on low all year round.

We did this last year and our fuel consumption was lower than when we waited until it was really cold and turned it on.

That is what we do in the colder months.

It is far more economical than it switching on & off all day & night,as the house is kept at an regular temperature.

Mine isn't on just yet,although I am tempted,just to help the washing dry :roll: