Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on?

Try turning the thermostat down a notch - what do you have it on?

When I do put it on, we only have heating first thing, and then again in the evening - I am at work most of the day, and only pop home for lunch, so there's no point. At the weekend I have the same routine (unless it's really sub-zero) I just have the stove going full pelt and it gets the house really toasty.

Try turning the thermostat down a notch - what do you have it on?

When I do put it on, we only have heating first thing, and then again in the evening - I am at work most of the day, and only pop home for lunch, so there's no point. At the weekend I have the same routine (unless it's really sub-zero) I just have the stove going full pelt and it gets the house really toasty.

generally 19 but if it gets a tad too cold then i will put it up to 20. We do have a real fire but that then makes upstairs feel colder, and given that our offices are up there it can be a problem to just have the fire on sometimes.

We do the same Claret, usually once in the morning (7.30 - 8.30 which I find isn't good enough) and in the evening from around 6 until 10.30. But I sneak it on sooner if I get cold during the day. But it gets too hot in the bedrooms if the heating has been on too long. The radiators in the bathrooms run off the hot water so will heat up whenever the hot water has been used - even in summer. They can be turned down if we actually get a hot summer session but didn't find it necessary this year. Makes the towels nice and warm when you get out of the bath.

In the winter our's is on from 6am until 8.45, I then hold out until lunchtime then usually light the woodburner. If it is really cold I will sneak the heating on too if I am working on the computer. It then comes back on between 4.30 and 10.30 with the hot water, but we turn the thermostat right down after an initial boost, so that the bedrooms are cold by bedtime.

It is a balance when you have children doing homework in their rooms, but it is a good way of getting them to come and sit with you in the lounge instead, where you can see what they are doing. :wink:

I think I must be turning into Mrs Scrooge. This week I had a hot bath at 16.00 because I got cold rather than put the heat on and yesterday I put on some extra socks rather than the heating even though I'm 'allowed':shock: and I've found myself thinking its not worthing lighting the open fire or the woodburner for one (OH is away). Apparently my brother is the same - I don't think we were brought up as masochists, my parents' house was always T-shirt hot. I've even been shopping in Edinburgh Woollen Mills for a sensible wool jersey - this shop is usually the preserve of my 82 year old MIL! I must get a grip :D