Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on?

Alright i have given in and after my freezing jaunt down with the chucks this morning i have put the heat on.

My sitting roon is saying 19 degC and the kitchen is the same and i am chilled...I was doing fine till i got cold this am. I 'll leave it on till i go out and assess later depending on how i feel.

My yorkies are staying in bed today too Guess it is getting cold enough to put it on low now Huh?

Have to cut back on personal spending if the heat goes on....just need that new perfume first.

Calvin Klines Beauty. Oh and i'd love the all in one soup maker/blender........

We had people to stay at the weekend. My friend started telling stories of growing up with grandma in Scotland with no heating. Then her husband woke up with a cold. I felt obliged to put the heating on :oops: But this morning I decided to paint the kitchen and the window is wide open and its all brisk again. I don't know whats got into me, I'm not usually like this.

Since I last posted I've not had the ehating on again until yesterday when I got in from work as the house was freezing. Took me about 4 hours to warm up as my work is cold as well. DH reckons it's because I've lost too much weight :twisted: that I'm feeling the cold!

We had the heating on this morning for 2 hours and then the fire on until 11 just before we went out. When we got back at 4 the house was 15 degrees. I was worried the hamster had gone into hibenation. DD was asking for porridge to warm up but I cracked the fire on again and we were soon toasty. If it carries on like this the gas bill will be HUGE!

If you are worried about big bills,it is MUCH more economical to have the heating on all day (& night) on a low setting,as it doesn't need that big burst to heat the rooms.

Tried & trusted method.

Tested here as well Sarah - we're keeping the heating on very low and just a couple of times a day so that the floors stay slightly warm. We're on LPG gas so can check the usage on a little meter.

I'm out all day at work, so only have the heating on morning and evening for a short time; it's warm enough. :D

I checked with my heating engineer about leaving it on low all day - he said that it's economy depends on a lot of criteria such as age and type of house, insulation, type of boiler and heating system. When it came down to it, it isn't economical in my house and with my heating system, but as we're out all day and only have it on low (stat at 19deg) twice a day, it doesn't matter - we have the woodburner, which is fuelled by free wood and it's nice and cosy.

We've got it on for a couple of hours in the morning and again in the evening - we don't have a thermostat and the world's least efficient boiler, so until we get that sorted, we won't be able to try out the 'on low all day' thing. It would be interesting to compare the gas meter readings though for both styles. We've got the fire going most evenings now, but we really need the heating to warm the upstairs through. Poor baby was in three layers in bed last night.

I'm out all day at work, so only have the heating on morning and evening for a short time; it's warm enough. :D

I checked with my heating engineer about leaving it on low all day - he said that it's economy depends on a lot of criteria such as age and type of house, insulation, type of boiler and heating system. When it came down to it, it isn't economical in my house and with my heating system, but as we're out all day and only have it on low (stat at 19deg) twice a day

Same here Clare. I've tried the other way with my heating and it cost me a fortune. Mum has hers on low all day/night and it works for her, as she is in all day. As mum and I both have exactly the same size house, in the same road, I'd say it is 90% down to boiler and heating system though :wink:

Sorry - I was speed reading this morning!

Ours isn't on all day but by having it come on twice a day and having the boiler set very low then it just keeps the underfloor heating ticking over.

We wear more clothes but have been getting cold hands and feet the last couple of days until the woodburner is lit.

It's coming tomorrow, they start work early and I've had to park badly to create a space for the van. I usually have an OCD approach to parking (apologies to anyone who has proper OCD), it's really annoying me :oops: I'm getting twitchy about the old quarry tiles too. I think they'll be relieved when they've finished :lol: Added to that, there's an, ahem, interesting aroma in the house as I'm attempting to pickle red cabbage, it smells a bit gassy round here :lol:

Surely everyone had the heating on now - even for a little while???

Is there any brave soul still without :shock:

7.gif

Do you have snake blood or live in a sauna? :lol:

Seriously - no heating at all - not even a fire sometimes? I agree with Claret you must live in layers. What about washing though. You are making me cold thinking about it I'm off to grab my slanket brrrrrrr