Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on?

Sorry Ive been communicating in emoticons lately my lappy keyboard is still typing in Martian but have just borrowed a plug- in one,

Anyway, no heating on but the woodburner in the living room after 6pm, which also heats the hot water, thats it. Oh and I live in a leaky single-skinned Medieval hovel!!!

We are hoping to remodel the house extensively (once the planners have stopped having hissy fits about nothing :roll: ) so we are not updating the heating as it would be a complete waste of energy and money. This time next year the house should be heated by Air Source and recirculation, plus it might actually have some insulation- cor what luxury!

Living here for 4 years come Xmas has really taught me how to live without mod cons and what I actually need to be comfortable and warm. Suffice to say we all wear thermal underwear :lol: and bathwater gets used by more than one person. I'd like modern heating sure, but our own woodland currently heats the house pretty well from the burner, plus it's just cold enough to keep the in-laws away... (joking)

By turning your room stat down by 1deg, you can save at least 10% on your heating bill :D

Its a novelty as we had an old system of wood/multifuel which died a death in the spring and have had NO central heating for a long time in the cold this last year - I insisted on oil as we are rural and could have gas but would cost the earth to bring to the house and we will get a woodburner in the lounge next summer ready for next winter - so we are languishing in the warm for a change - him indoors did not like the thought of my oil burner but is happily balancing radiatiors and turning up the thermostat and overriding the heating - I am happy to leave him to do it! as long as I am warm! Hot towels - the joy!! :lol:

Heating on all day here, low though, as woodburner was being installed (Yay! :dance: ) so front door has more or less been open all morning.

It's been blowing a gale too and we've had the horizontal rain, I can't use the woodburner as the vermiculite filler to go between the chimney lining and the brick chimney is still in the bags. The workmen did well to get the liner in, they really had to hold on to the ladder.

Where I grew up (could be colder than siberia and was on many occasions) we had an open fire only and no heating, single glazed windows and it was a council house = not well insulated at all - we survived and the pictures on the windows were very pretty as a child with the frost inside - it was not so pretty as you grew up and felt the cold more - wonder how we all managed really - my mother got up early each morning and did the fire out and lit it and I got up later on - the only thing we got was a heater on the bathroom wall and was allowed to put it on occasionally if very cold when having a bath - the bath was once a week!! eeeeek we had no shower! - tell me how did we did it! I could not survive without my shower every morning nowadays.

Although we've been having an open fire for a while in our small sitting room, and the occasional bit of central heating in the rest of the house, we only lit the woodburner for the first time on Weds (its in the conservatory) and it took ages to warm us and the room up (mind you it was very cold). We didn't use it on Thurs, but then I managed to light it again from the embers on Friday and its going again today - it warms the kitchen as well, which is normally pretty cool. I've painted the walls, we have bought a new TV, moved some furniture out, our neighbour suggested a new seating layout and its like having a brand new room, I feel like I'm having a real treat :D

It is a few degrees warmer here today according to the thermometer, but the wind is getting in everywhere and there is no sun to warm the place, so I have the heating on low, which is very rare when I am in on my own. I am still cold though, I do have a rotten headache today, so I am feeling below par so that is probably why. :(

My OH went to a meeting at a clients stone built house this morning, he took off his coat when he arrived and left it in the kitchen, he didn't nitice that his client did not and they went into the lounge where they remained for 2 hours. OH called me when he got in the car to say that he had his coat on the heater and his feet were numb, he is not a man who feels the cold normally. Our house is fairly warm but I do have a thick cardi on.

I had the heating on last night too :oops: just to get it up to a reasonable temperature, although only three radiators are turned on. The kitchen now gets enough sunlight to keep it at a minimum of 18 degrees so no longer requires heating during late spring/summer and early autumn :D

Sunny on and off here though, but I'll keep the windows shut to save any heat build up from escaping.