Charlottechicken

Who has the heating on?

I put it on for an hour around 16.00 yesterday - to help dry some washing and my washed hair as well as warm me up before my hot dinner! But its not really cold yet here. I'm trying to do gardening jobs (chopping things back mostly) and thats making me feel really quite warm during the day. I have also moved into a sleeveless down filled gilet which is really long at the back - I wear jeans on my hips but at this time of year there's a horrid gap at the base of my spine as loads of my jumpers ride up. I remember when I was young I'd go out with hardly any clothes on (relatively speaking) but now I'm really dressing for the season; which is making me feel a bit old.... :shock:

Well, it isn't cold - the main test is the butter in the kitchen. If it's spreadable, then it's warm.

:lol: that's one of my guides as well!

Also, if the cats are curled up like apostrophes, it's about right - if they are sprawled on their backs with tummies exposed, it's too warm!

Mine is now on timer. It came on for an hour this morning and again at 5pm. It is on in 2 rooms, and really low, as I've turned the boiler temperature down and all the radiator thermostats too. It's really comfy here :D

Same here now, although it's really mild today (if a little wet) so we haven't got it on apart from that. I must get some more logs in to dry off.

The chimney sweep is coming on Friday morning (I have taken the morning off), he's going to sweep the chimneys, service the stove and check the chimneys in my bedroom and the attic room to see if I can use those for open fires. I have the original cast iron fireplaces in both rooms and it seems a shame not to use them.

:D We had open fireplaces in the bedrooms in the house where I grew up, they were rarely used but I can remember having a fire once or twice, probably when one of us was ill, and there is something absolutely magical about going to sleep and watching flames flickering on the ceiling.

The chimney sweep is coming on Friday morning (I have taken the morning off), he's going to sweep the chimneys, service the stove and check the chimneys in my bedroom and the attic room to see if I can use those for open fires. I have the original cast iron fireplaces in both rooms and it seems a shame not to use them.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

YEAAAAAHHHHH.... can you hear me shouting with joy??? I'm so excited that I have finally been able to light my solid fuel rayburn. It would normally be on by now but we had to wait for a new chimney and today is the first day its allowed on.

Its heating up nicely and soon I'll have the ability to dry clothes, dishes and generally the house will be toastie. I'll then be able to turn the oil off too. Even the mess of the coal and having to remember to check it is a dim memory at the moment. Jacket potatoes here we come!!!!

We got back from Portugal on Saturday night and I crept down and put it on Sunday morning. I'm impressed we made it to October though! We've turned off the radiator in the living rooom by the fire, but I actually find it's easier to have all the others on as once this house gets warm, it tends to stay that way. I gave it a good blast to take the chill off, and now we'll have it on for a couple of hours a day. Hoping the fire helps our very cold attic dormer bedroom heat up though, I've closed the doors up there (annoying the cats intensely) to try and keep the rest of the house warm but the chimney that has the stove running into goes through the bigger room up there so should help a bit.

Need to order some more wood, but have to get the second shed up before then. Our first shed has a leaky roof (sigh) and is mostly full of softwood and we'd like some decent hardwood to mix in with it so it doesn't burn so quickly.

We lit the log burner both on Saturday and Sunday in the early evening, but only used one lot of logs then let it burn out, because it got too warm. It is at that annoying stage where if there has been no sun and the air is damp from rain, the temperature is just below comfort level, but if you have any form of heating on it quickly gets too warm.

Heating now on timer here, for an hour in the morning and again from 6pm till 9. I have turned the boiler temperature down and the radiator thermostats too, so it just takes the chill off. It makes a big difference just raising the temperature from 15 to 17 in a couple of rooms :)

BTW, it's really cold here today, overcast all day and windy too. I went to hang washing out at 1pm and it started to rain :evil:

We have no central heating at the moment!

My gran and grandad built this house in 1975 (grandad was a builders merchant so paid only for labour :D ) they didn't get gas installed, so we have electric cooker and oil central heating.

The central heating oil costs a fortune and the boiler is old. Last yr 500litres of kerosine and delivery/VAT was £276, and it lasted 5 weeks 2 days! This yr the price of oil has increased of course, so we have no oil. With being in band G for council tax, there's no way we can afford oil on top of this. My maternity leave is/was 8 weeks full pay then the rest on 1/2 pay - so we're going to struggle, especially with a new baby on the way. I was forced to take early mat leave as I am a nurse but SPD meant I couldn't stay upright on the wards for long enough - so it's half pay time next payday.

Have lovd the warmer weather the last few days but it's chilly this morning. Time to jumper up and boil the kettle for a hot water bottle. We have a real coal fire in the back lounge and double glaing in here too (the only bit of DIY we have managed to afford - new windows in one room!) and are thinking radically about keeping the family warm. We're actually planning on taking all the furniture out except the telly, and putting out mattresses in here on the floor for a month after Xmas if it is as cold as last yr. One-room-living as it were. It's embarrassing... but with a 3 yr old and newborn that's just how it's going to have to be.

I keep putting the lottery on, one day I might win. I keep hoping anyways!

For us it almost feels like a statement of defeat to turn thr heating on. When it is on we only have it at 18 degrees on the thermostat. However, last week we succumbed to 2 separate eves of 1 hour heating each with the thermostat at 15 degrees just to take the chill & damp off. Tonight we lit the fire in the lounge to give some specific heat where we were sitting.

Looks like irt won't be long now :cry: