Cinnamon Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Yes I know...its another rant thread About 4 years ago my daughters secondary school brought in this ridiculous policy that every pupil MUST bring in every book,every day,even if they are not taking that subject that day You can imagine that all those books,along with text books makes the bags really heavy,& then there is PE kit twice a week too. Anyhow, Cleo has had a really sore neck this week after hurting herself at the weekend,so I have signed her off PE for the week. As from this term the new policy is for pupils to bring their PE kit in even if they have been signed off from taking part - & that is hockey sticks,boots,shin pads the lot. Not that we have had any official notice of this as parents,the pupils have just been told. She texted me this morning to tell me that she has been given a detention all break time because she didn't take her kit in with her,even though I wrote a note in her planner to say why I didn't want her carrying extra kit around unnecessarily...because of her bad neck . I am fuming. I have texted her back to say NOT to go to detention & have emailed the head of PE,who is also Cleos head of house about it. Honestly,you would think there would be some leeway if the child is in pain Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 What a ridiculous rule . What on earth are they thinking? I sometimes can't believe the weight of my son's schoolbag and he's only got 2 or 3 subjects a day now . I think he'd struggle to fit any more books in . It can't be good for the kids and it seems completely pointless. I'd kick up a stink if I were you . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 7, 2010 Author Share Posted October 7, 2010 Oh, I intend to Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 I think it's dreadful. Can you go over the head to the governors? What a lot of jobsworths!!! I think the Daily Mail might like that as well Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickendoodle Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 That's completely ridiculous, no wonder you are fuming. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 7, 2010 Author Share Posted October 7, 2010 I think it's dreadful. Can you go over the head to the governors?What a lot of jobsworths!!! I think the Daily Mail might like that as well I contacted The Mail when they first brought out the every book,every day scheme,& they weren't interested Still waiting to hear. Cleo has not gone to the detention (that's my girl!),& the head of PE is supposed to contact me during break,which is now almost over Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 This happened to me once, my mum had a word with the head of P.E, and the teacher gave me a personal apology. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 7, 2010 Author Share Posted October 7, 2010 I am now beyond angry, My girl has just called me in tears to say the teacher who gave her the detention came & got her from the playground & made her go to the detention room,where she not only had a go for her not attending the detention,but also shouted at her for using her phone to contact me Still no one has contacted me about this....i am now going to the Head Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Way to go Sarah! See if you can get a doctor's note re her neck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CallyChook Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Ohhhh, as a very hormonal mummy and nurse I'm absolutely disgraced by that school! What a load of absolute rubbish! Taking every book to school every day, what is their reasoning behind that? Just in case they decide to teach French instead of Geography? And the PE kit every day... erm... why???!!!! If I were you I'd be over there right now creating mayhem, and I make such a noise when I make mayhem!! Am now very irate on your behalf! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarkBevBen Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Oh Cinamon, no wonder you're absolutely furious! I cannot see the reasoning behind such a thing - why on earth is there a need to take everyhing in every day, I just don't get that at all! I'm sure the staff don't take everything in everyday! As for that teacher making Cleo cry, flaming bully. I'd most definately be getting in touch with the Head and Governers, even the local education authority too, asking for an explaination for their actions. I'm a paediatric nurse and all too often I'm told by parents how some teachers and schools are less than supportive when their children are poorly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 I'd be furious too! She's your daughter and your wishes should be respected so if you've written a letter then the school should support that. If anybody treated my daughters that way I'd be straight up to the school to complain and to comfort my child! Does her health mean that little to her teacher? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 That is outrageous of the school! I really hope you manage to get somewhere with the head to sort this out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Why do they need to bring in all their books? I cannot think of any logical reason for it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 7, 2010 Author Share Posted October 7, 2010 The reasoning is that they won't not have a book with them for a lesson. They were getting fed up with pupils not remembering their books, but IMHO this treats them more like children & less like young adults,who should learn to be responsible for their books & packing their bag each day. Ditto with the PE kit - I think they assume pupils were pulling sickies so they wouldn't have to lug their kit in . Of course if they asked themselves WHY pupils didn't want to lug their kit in (because they already have such a lot to carry with all the books!) they might have found a better solution. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 How stupid of the school and of your DD's teacher. I really hope you can get this sorted out. I would be really fuming. I think it is awful how much kids have to lug around with them now. My YS's secondary school do not provide lockers for them so they have to carry everything around - including coats during winter. He's forever saying how achey his back gets. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Don't they have lockers at her school? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 7, 2010 Author Share Posted October 7, 2010 Yes,but they won't fit kit & a hockey stick in. Plus they are over the 'other' side of school & she simply wouldn't have time to go there each morning/evening & sort her bag & books out. School ends at 3.30 & the coaches leave at 3.35 Still no word from the school,so I phoned again & spoke to the Heads secretary. The Head is away today. It feels a bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted,but I want to make a point here. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 The reasoning is that they won't not have a book with them for a lesson.They were getting fed up with pupils not remembering their books Then they should punish the ones who don't bring their books, and not the whole school. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CallyChook Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 god no, I'd be keeping on this one, I think it really is ridiculous to bring in every subject to every school day. While it might mean that no one can ever forget their books in theory, surely it means that 1) you're most likely to forget the books that you used the evening before at home, the ones sat on the desk in your room at home whilst you did the homework for the next day and therefore the ones you will need? 2)if a child leaves their books at home - tough. That's their loss, and not the teacher's problem. When I left my biology book at home for two classes on the row, I got lines which I had to sit and do at lunchtime. I never forgot it again. Kids will never learn to look after themselves if they don't get some kind of responsibility while they're younger. 3)That teacher was out of order. Whether it's today or next week, your opinion on the treatment of your child ought to be heard and considered. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarkBevBen Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Yes,but they won't fit kit & a hockey stick in.Plus they are over the 'other' side of school & she simply wouldn't have time to go there each morning/evening & sort her bag & books out. School ends at 3.30 & the coaches leave at 3.35 Still no word from the school,so I phoned again & spoke to the Heads secretary. The Head is away today. It feels a bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted,but I want to make a point here. Oh absolutely Cinnamon, you shouldn't let this one go. Hope Cleo is okay when she gets home. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 (edited) Hardly setting an example in professionalism, are they? [Edited typo] Edited October 7, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarkBevBen Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 No Claret, I don't know what kind of example they think they're setting at all! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mollie333 Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 In my school, we have to bring the right books for the lessons we have each day, and a pen, pencil and ruler, and my planner. Which isn't bad! If i forget a pencil or pen or ruler i'd get a 'Consequence 1' (C1) for each time i forget a piece of stationary, if i forgot all three, or a book i'd get a 'Consequence 3' (C3) Which is a half an hour detention sat in silence in the hall . If i was to miss my half an hour detention i'd get a hour on the following Monday, if i missed that i'd get a 2 hour, and if i missed that you have to do a 2 hour and icelation, if you don't do the 2 hour again you get excluded. If i don't bring my PE kit, without a note, i'd get half hour detention after school, and they will ring up parents. Its a bit pointless carrying around all the books though.. What if the parents have split and the pupil has two homes.. Really frustrating rules, to be honest. I'd not blame you to e-mail the head teacher. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 7, 2010 Author Share Posted October 7, 2010 Just had a chat to the head of PE,who was very apologetic & sympathetic & said that even if they are not doing PE they at least need to bring their light kit in (top & shorts) No need for all the other gubbins,so that's something. I still think its ridiculous,but there you go Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...