docsquid Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 The treatment of your daughter is outrageous, and the rule is plain stupid. Students need to be taught to organise themselves, and therefore to carry the correct books each day. The punishment should be for those who don't organise properly, not for everybody. No wonder students arrive at university incapable of remembering anything! There should be a mechanism to challenge these petty rules, that serve no purpose. Surely the tutors have better things to do than check that every student has every book every day - the time would be better spent giving extra help to students who need it, rather than on enforcing petty rules. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I'm a teacher and I think the bring everything in rule is ridiculous. We would always oppose this. I'm so angry with my son's awful school at the moment. He has Aspergers so I understand that he's not the most easy boy to get along with at times but those of you who have met him know that he's not too bad. Two weeks ago, a boy stole his watch (same boy who was cyber bullying him last year). I asked his class teacher to intervene and give him credit, he got it sorted and the watch was returned the same day. Then one of the girls who was bullying him last year launched a verbal attack on my son as to why his mother had to get involved in matters that didn't concern her,etc, etc. I wrote a stonking letter to the school but they have not felt the need to even acknowledge it. Then last week a teacher walked in as a group of boys were all launching an attack on my son saying that he didn't have ADHD or autism. Again, no action taken. Yesterday a boy punched and kicked my son in a lesson. My son told the teacher and then the boy hit him again in his private area. Then he dug his studs into my son's leg leaving it bleeding. Then to top it all off, the boy and his friends drenched my son with their water bottles...all in a so called supervised lesson. My son had bad nightmares last night in which he was saying that he wanted to die and didn't want to live, etc. he then refused to go to school today and I have to say that I didn't blame him. I called school today and guess what. Yet again, no one called me back. Just shows you what you get for your private school fees. Sorry to add to the rant Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LuckyChickenLover- Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I'm so angry with my son's awful school at the moment. He has Aspergers so I understand that he's not the most easy boy to get along with at times but those of you who have met him know that he's not too bad. Two weeks ago, a boy stole his watch (same boy who was cyber bullying him last year). I asked his class teacher to intervene and give him credit, he got it sorted and the watch was returned the same day. Then one of the girls who was bullying him last year launched a verbal attack on my son as to why his mother had to get involved in matters that didn't concern her,etc, etc. I wrote a stonking letter to the school but they have not felt the need to even acknowledge it. Then last week a teacher walked in as a group of boys were all launching an attack on my son saying that he didn't have ADHD or autism. Again, no action taken. Yesterday a boy punched and kicked my son in a lesson. My son told the teacher and then the boy hit him again in his private area. Then he dug his studs into my son's leg leaving it bleeding. Then to top it all off, the boy and his friends drenched my son with their water bottles...all in a so called supervised lesson. My son had bad nightmares last night in which he was saying that he wanted to die and didn't want to live, etc. he then refused to go to school today and I have to say that I didn't blame him. I called school today and guess what. Yet again, no one called me back. Just shows you what you get for your private school fees. That's shocking, Janty Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 It's their open morning tomorrow Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I am speechless . That is outrageous. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Just shows you what you get for your private school fees. Did I read this correctly? Is this a private school Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sari Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I agree this rule is so ridiculous! Our school has just introduced a NO COATS on in the building rule, so consequently when the kids reach the doors to go in there is a mass hold up as they all try to remove their coats before entering. Also this means the kids that get bused to school dont want to wear coats as they see it as no point! We do however have a parent voice meeting every so often that has been brought in so we can raise issues like this if we want to. My childrens bags are so heavy even with the daily books, but they do also have lockers but most of the time choose not to use them as it can be at the other end of the school when they need to get things and dont have the time. My daughter's school also has this...somewhat ridiculous, they barely stepped into the Foyer, and they were bellowed at. After a couple of weeks I rang and complained, and the member of staff who was the consistent bellower was asked to show " a little common sense". My daughter and her friends walk a 4 mile round trip, so a warm coat is essential.....they are also not allowed boots. So in the winter, they all wore wellies, which then had to be lockered...with books, PE kit.....poor lambs. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Just shows you what you get for your private school fees. Did I read this correctly? Is this a private school Yes, a private school. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 :shock:That is really bad Janty. How frustrating when you are spending your hard earned cash. How dare they not contact you to sort this out. You are a customer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I have no doubt (knowing Janty) that she will cause a scene of suitably satisfying proportions Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I have no doubt (knowing Janty) that she will cause a scene of suitably satisfying proportions Hubby's dreading it They are having a special seminar on cyber bullying too. I'm especially looking forward to that one. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 OOoo goodie, will you heckle? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Better still. Can't say too much but will keep you informed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Note to self 'don't offend Janty' Good luck Janty, I would be hopping mad if I was you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I am sure she is! Wish I could be there - Janty is great entertainment value Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I hope you're not planning to take the chicken. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I hope she is Cathy X Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted October 12, 2010 Share Posted October 12, 2010 Just wonderinng what happened when Janty visited the school....? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted October 12, 2010 Share Posted October 12, 2010 I want to know too! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cranfield Kate Posted October 13, 2010 Share Posted October 13, 2010 they should install lockers then so the kids can leave their stuff in them and not have to lug it around all day. I left school 20 years ago (ouch) and STILL remember the insanely heavy bags of books. and a sore neck is no fun. I hope you kick their stupid jobsworth backsides. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
goodinparts Posted October 14, 2010 Share Posted October 14, 2010 Go Janty....You have all the squadrons of omleteers behind you! Sometimes schools are just plain stupid ...at others, one suspects malevolence... It's so hard to be a parent & watch the system failing your child - and then to find that the child is embarrassed if you try to intervene on their behalf... Ho hum. Maybe I'm quite glad that I don't have any left at school after all....I thought I was missing it.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy chickens! Posted October 14, 2010 Share Posted October 14, 2010 I thought my kids' school was a bit more sensible than your daughter's but...... yesterday DS came home from school very fed up; I had sent a note in excusing him from pe as he has plantar fasciitis which has got particularly painful, so cutting out sport for a few days and putting feet up can help, but he was made to ref instead! I shall make my note much clearer next time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted October 14, 2010 Share Posted October 14, 2010 ES's school makes them change into kit even if excused - I got cross one day after footie injury where his foot was swollen and taking it in and out of shoes was painful i told them he was not to be made to change and I wasnt sending kit and if they had any prob should call me. They didnt call me - not sure why Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majorbloodnock Posted October 14, 2010 Share Posted October 14, 2010 It strikes me that this amounts to an abuse of power. It would be interesting to see what the school's harrassment policy says on that, and woe betide them if they haven't got one. If a school forces a child to do something painful that is unnecessary, they're failing in their duty of care. No-one would put up with that sort of treatment in a workplace, so why should a child be any different? We're not talking about issues of discipline, since all the incidents described in this thread have been accompanied by explanatory letters from the parents. I know schools can find themselves in an awkward position sometimes when dealing with children whose parents seem to absolve themselves of responsibility, but schools also have to remember that the parent is still the legal guardian - not the school - and what the parent says regarding the child's welfare should be the overriding factor. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...