Mollie333 Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 But why do you need to bring it in when you have no intention to do it.. Hmm. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy chickens! Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Think your DD's school is going well over the top it's ridiculous to ask the children to bring in everything every day; if they are having problems with students forgetting books they need to implement a decent reward/sanction system that encourages children to be organised. Can you imagine what sort of adults they are trying to create - ones that bring everything they might possibly need as that is what school has taught? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 7, 2010 Author Share Posted October 7, 2010 But why do you need to bring it in when you have no intention to do it.. Hmm. So they can referee, apparently. Ridiculous,I know. If they are sick,they are sick Still,she leaves at Easter Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LuckyChickenLover- Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 This all sounds very familiar... My school bag weighs a stone... (I'm not joking, I just weighed it on the bathroom scales) It's a pain to carry around Also one time I woke up with a painful neck (no idea why) I was half an hour late to school because it was agony to move around and I literally couldn't get out of bed in the morning I had P.E. that day, and I decided not to bring in my P.E. kit for obvious reasons. My mum wrote a note in my link book explaining to my P.E. teacher why I didn't bring in my kit and why I wouldn't be doing P.E. I still got told off for not bringing in my kit... It was kind of obvious that I wasn't lying considering that I had one of those beanbag things round my neck... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 The reasoning is that they won't not have a book with them for a lesson.They were getting fed up with pupils not remembering their books Then they should punish the ones who don't bring their books, and not the whole school. That was going to be my point too. Schools seem to have a habit of punishing everyone to "encourage" the few. Hope it gets sorted out soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
grracee Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Really hope it gets sorted out soon, the rule of bringing every book in everyday seems abit silly to me. When I was in school, just taking the books/folders I needed for one day was enough, I couldn't imagine how heavy my bag would have been if I had to take them all!! Also, p.e kits are an added nuisance! Thankfully though my school was quite laid back about if you forgot books etc. Obviously if you forgot them all the time then you'd have what they called a yellow slip, basically a warning. If it carried on it would be a red slip & detention, then after that after school detention, then suspended & then expelled. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 The reasoning is that they won't not have a book with them for a lesson.They were getting fed up with pupils not remembering their books Then they should punish the ones who don't bring their books, and not the whole school. That was going to be my point too. Schools seem to have a habit of punishing everyone to "encourage" the few. Hope it gets sorted out soon. My school had (and still has) an excellent system , if you don't bring in your books, pen and planner, you get 1 hour detention. Simple as that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 That is ridiculous, if I was to do that everyday with all of my college textbooks and stuff then I would put my back out very quickly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 But why do you need to bring it in when you have no intention to do it.. Hmm. So they can referee, apparently. Ridiculous,I know. If they are sick,they are sick Still,she leaves at Easter My ED has a condition in her foot which has prevented her from joining in with pe/games. She has umpired various games, but she was allowed to do it in her uniform and didn't have to wear her kit. She has just said 'can't they for once use their brains! Its not worth breaking your back over!' She's 13, and as far as I can tell, has much more common sense than those teachers at Cleo's school. I can understand the schools frustration at pupils forgetting books, but if they had more severe punishments for forgetting things (like the ones mentioned previously), then surely pupils would be more inclined to bring in the correct books on the correct day. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 I am now beyond angry, My girl has just called me in tears to say the teacher who gave her the detention came & got her from the playground & made her go to the detention room,where she not only had a go for her not attending the detention,but also shouted at her for using her phone to contact me What gives her the right to treat your daughter like this? What sort of example is that?! I hope that this awful woman has apologised to your daughter. There is absolutely no call for her to behave in this way. A more grown up approach would have been to say she was going to investigate, and if it turned out to be untrue then your daughter would have a double detention (or whatever). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sageandonion Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Sounds like your daughter's P.E teacher is cut from the same cloth as my son's. He started secondary school last year on crutches having had an op to lengthen both achilles tendons in the July. He had always walked on tip toes as he had short achilles. Despite a note from a Consultant and a physio excusing him from P.E until after the October half term, I find out a few days in that my son had to change into his P.E kit every time as he was expected to referee. His P.E teacher wanted him to run up and down the side lines with a whistle. I was livid, the whole point of him not doing P.E was to make sure that no damage was done to reverse the effects of the op. I ended up going in to see the P.E teacher and would have ended up taking it further but after I had words he saw sense. Hope the situation with your daughter is resolved and the P.E teacher doesn't treat her in the same way again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 re:- having to take all books and PE gear in every day I take that school kids are exempt from manual handling rules then Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 re:- having to take all books and PE gear in every day I take that school kids are exempt from manual handling rules then if not then the school has supplied perants with a risk assment for the above task Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Boycott this sceme, tell your daughter to take in only the books she needs for the day, if she has all her books for that day, how will they know that she is not taking them all in.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I'm thinking of the potential for disaster should the fire alarm go off - all that jettisoned clobber will be a major trip hazzard, especially if dumped in corridors and along fire escape routes. Seems to me that their health and safety committee needs a refresher course at the very least. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 8, 2010 Author Share Posted October 8, 2010 Boycott this sceme, tell your daughter to take in only the books she needs for the day, if she has all her books for that day, how will they know that she is not taking them all in.... The tutor checks every day, & they are sent to the detention room until a parent brings in all the books. Some pupils are there all day,missing a days education,as a parent cannot come in (I wouldn't have been able to the last few days as i have had a flu bug) It is sadly becoming a more common practise with schools in this area. My eldest got away with it as she had a Doctors note with her ,because she had back problems. Good point about the fire risk,Egluntyne! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I am sure that tutors have better things to be doing with their time than checking to see if every child has every book with them. What a completely ridiculous system! I am not surprised that you are furious. It is a totally disproportionate response to the problem of some students forgetting their books! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 8, 2010 Author Share Posted October 8, 2010 This has been in place for around 3 years now I think - some of you longer standing members may remember the huge fuss I kicked up about it when it was first introduced. I went to the Head,the press,the Governors,all to no avail,until I got that Doctors note We are sort of used to the books thing now,but as we have a new Head I will be writing again (I dropped it last time as a family member got very unwell) Happily for me,Cleo leaves pretty soon anyhow, & the local College has no such stupid scheme Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 This has been in place for around 3 years now I think - some of you longer standing members may remember the huge fuss I kicked up about it when it was first introduced.I went to the Head,the press,the Governors,all to no avail,until I got that Doctors note We are sort of used to the books thing now,but as we have a new Head I will be writing again (I dropped it last time as a family member got very unwell) Happily for me,Cleo leaves pretty soon anyhow, & the local College has no such stupid scheme Sounds like it might be worth giving it another go Sarah - are there any other parents who might join in? a bit of parent power seems to be needed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 another campaign Go for it Sarah! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Margalot Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I agree this rule is so ridiculous! Our school has just introduced a NO COATS on in the building rule, so consequently when the kids reach the doors to go in there is a mass hold up as they all try to remove their coats before entering. Also this means the kids that get bused to school dont want to wear coats as they see it as no point! We do however have a parent voice meeting every so often that has been brought in so we can raise issues like this if we want to. My childrens bags are so heavy even with the daily books, but they do also have lockers but most of the time choose not to use them as it can be at the other end of the school when they need to get things and dont have the time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I am astounded by this thread. I can understand that from a teaching point of view it must be disruptive when many pupils regularly forget books, kit etc, but the sanctions should only be used against persistent offenders. If it is a blanket policy it teaches the children nothing about self responsibility, and gives no benefit for complience. I find with teenagers carrots work much better than sticks. I would have though enforcing rules that lack common sense would just encourage more rebellion, it certainly would have done with me when I was that age. My 3 children have heavy bags, but only carry the books they need for each day. they all travel by school coach, and on games days, the coaches are stuffed with bags and if a child also plays an instrument, it is further complicated. It seems to me that parent power is needed in an approach to the school govenors for a review of this policy. Good luck with it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
donald Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Hi I remember being told by a back specialist that if school children wear a school bag on one shoulder that is likely to do damage to their back. I agree the books are too heavy and the bag not big enough. My sons school provides a locker as I am forever buying padlocks as he changes the code constantly (due to his friends fetching the football at lunchtimes from it) and after the school holidays he forgot the code But the locker system does work pretty well, unless homework could forget to bring the right books back Seems a mean school, sounds like you need a detention not her Donald Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majorbloodnock Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Personally, I'd play the bureaucracy card. The school has a duty of care to its pupils, and if a child's doctor deems it inappropriate for the child to be carting a heavy weight around all the time then you can justify sending the child in with only the books necessary for the day. Similarly, your child is legally entitled to an education. If you send your child in properly equipped for that day's activities and the child is withheld from them because they haven't brought something that's irrelevant, the school is again failing in its duty. I'm sure that, between these two points, it would be possible to raise such a legally and morally outraged stink that the school could be strung up with its own red tape, and that's just with one parent doing this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 8, 2010 Author Share Posted October 8, 2010 Thing is, my girl doesn't want me to make a fuss. Apparently I am embarrassing enough as it is We have lived with this for a few years now,although the PE thing is new & that is what made me cross yesterday. She leaves next year,so I am going to toe the line & leave it to someone else (I actually sort of feel that I have done my bit,as I campaigned long & hard when the silly rule was introduced,on my own) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...