Tiggy Posted October 29, 2010 Share Posted October 29, 2010 Thanks Chickric/vic - it is hard work doing flu clinics but this yr its worse as people get uppity about it being a dual vaccine and treat it as if its our fault. I;ve had a much needed break this week but back to flu clinics next week and some pts see it as a chance to bring a " shopping list" of worries which drives me nuts when appts are only 5 mins. Be glad when its January and back to normal - hate this time of year. that sounds horribly familiar Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted October 29, 2010 Share Posted October 29, 2010 Yup the classic is as they reach the door and you sigh with relief and they say "oh can I show you this?" And with that they show you summat that is potentially serious and you should have spent the time on not on he ingrowing toenail oh I love my job Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted October 30, 2010 Share Posted October 30, 2010 Yup the classic is as they reach the door and you sigh with relief and they say "oh can I show you this?" And with that they show you summat that is potentially serious and you should have spent the time on not on he ingrowing toenail oh I love my job ahhhhh the good old "hand on the door k"Ooops, word censored!"" syndrome Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted October 30, 2010 Share Posted October 30, 2010 Yup the classic is as they reach the door and you sigh with relief and they say "oh can I show you this?" And with that they show you summat that is potentially serious and you should have spent the time on not on he ingrowing toenail oh I love my job ahhhhh the good old "hand on the door k"Ooops, word censored!"" syndrome get it all the time, very catching in Kidderminster Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted October 30, 2010 Share Posted October 30, 2010 Is the flu jab still 'brewed' in eggs? I was told years ago that due to a mild egg allergy I shouldn't have the jab ( I suffered with asthma in my younger years). I would point out that I can eat eggs in the form of cake , it's just eggs on their own I can't eat . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted October 30, 2010 Share Posted October 30, 2010 I was asked if I was allergic to eggs (and something else but can't remember what) so I guess so Mrs Webmuppet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy chickens! Posted October 30, 2010 Share Posted October 30, 2010 As a healthy person in early 30's I got 'proper' flu, (nearly 10 years ago, but still remember how ill I felt) was very poorly with dehydration followed by pneumonia and it took me a good 6 months to recover, I can only imagine how it would hit someone with other health issues, I do think we sometimes lose site of relative risks, so hope all those that need it are not put off the vaccination, it is a much much better prospect than the illness. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted October 31, 2010 Share Posted October 31, 2010 As a healthy person in early 30's I got 'proper' flu, (nearly 10 years ago, but still remember how ill I felt) was very poorly with dehydration followed by pneumonia and it took me a good 6 months to recover, I can only imagine how it would hit someone with other health issues, I do think we sometimes lose site of relative risks, so hope all those that need it are not put off the vaccination, it is a much much better prospect than the illness. I agree - I had proper 'flu over 30 years ago and never want to have it again. As a single parent of two young children at the time I was completely incapable of doing anything - I slept on a mattress in the lounge which I'd thrown down when I felt really poorly and couldn't face the stairs again.......and stayed there for 2 weeks. My parents (divorced and remarried but both living locally) took it in turns to sort out children, school and food. I've since had pneumonia and pleurisy together and have one lung a bit damaged from having my lung drained - I've never been offered a 'flu jab.......wonder if I should mention it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted October 31, 2010 Share Posted October 31, 2010 I've since had pneumonia and pleurisy together and have one lung a bit damaged from having my lung drained - I've never been offered a 'flu jab.......wonder if I should mention it? You should Lesley. I would hope your GP would be happy to include you on the annual list if you want it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted October 31, 2010 Share Posted October 31, 2010 Thanks Snowy - I tend to avoid anything I don't really need and I've been OK with bad flu'ey colds since so I've never really given it a thought. This thread has made me think though. This is a problem with not going to the doctor's very often and rarely seeing the same doctor - and the passing of time as well I suppose. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy chickens! Posted October 31, 2010 Share Posted October 31, 2010 Gosh Lesley that sounds horrendous - I am sure you would get a jab if you asked. They humour me and will let me have one, although I don't always get round to it as like you prefer to avoid drs if at all possible. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted November 1, 2010 Share Posted November 1, 2010 I've since had pneumonia and pleurisy together and have one lung a bit damaged from having my lung drained - I've never been offered a 'flu jab.......wonder if I should mention it? you should have the jab, prob not on any disease registers at your surgery so wont turn up on any searches so you need to book yourself in Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted November 1, 2010 Share Posted November 1, 2010 Thanks - I'll ask next time I'm in town. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katek Posted November 1, 2010 Share Posted November 1, 2010 Sorry, but you are not in the criteria for getting the flu jab, some practices may give it but only after all entitled ones are given. You can buy it from Tesco's for £10 ish. The criteria is very strict. . You can have flu jab if you are allergic to only raw eggs (ie can eat them baked in a cake) it is due to the specific protein, if you are fine with the heat sensitive one then you will be ok with the flu jab. If you cannot eat eggs at all even when processed and baked that is a different matter. There is another jab available but you would have to be sent to a specific clinic for this. As for the jab containing swine flu, well there would be no point to it if it didn't, as this is the flu that will be around this year, or something very similar. The swine flu jab given last year was made slightly differently as it takes a very long time to incorperate the strains into the normal flu jab - it gave much more local reaction. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted November 1, 2010 Share Posted November 1, 2010 I have had proper flu three times, once just after Christmas in the mid 80's, once in December 1999, and once in December 2005. I can easily imagine how this kills people with weakened immune systems or existing breathing problems. I have been left with ongoing problems after the last two bouts of flu, which have taken six months or more to recover from. The silly thing is I hardly get colds, generally every two years or so, and until I had my hysterectomy this summer, I'd had almost 4 years with no sick leave! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MedusA Posted November 2, 2010 Share Posted November 2, 2010 I've been offered it this year for the first time since I retired from the NHS. I had it regularly then as I was working with vulnerable patients and we were advised to have it so we didn't pass flu on to them. I have only ever had real flu once and it knocked me for six for weeks. Since then I'm very scathing of anybody who has a sniffle and calls it flu. I don't know why I've been offered it other than I am now on statins for raised cholesterol (and have an atrocious family history of CVD). I have a bit of a sniffle at the moment, but have been assured that it's still OK to have the jab as I don't have a temperature. I hope so, because it's this evening! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted November 2, 2010 Share Posted November 2, 2010 Sorry, but you are not in the criteria for getting the flu jab, some practices may give it but only after all entitled ones are given. You can buy it from Tesco's for £10 ish. The criteria is very strict. . You can have flu jab if you are allergic to only raw eggs (ie can eat them baked in a cake) it is due to the specific protein, if you are fine with the heat sensitive one then you will be ok with the flu jab. If you cannot eat eggs at all even when processed and baked that is a different matter. There is another jab available but you would have to be sent to a specific clinic for this. As for the jab containing swine flu, well there would be no point to it if it didn't, as this is the flu that will be around this year, or something very similar. The swine flu jab given last year was made slightly differently as it takes a very long time to incorperate the strains into the normal flu jab - it gave much more local reaction. good info katek, this lady would get a flu vac at my practice about now when we have vaccinated our at risk groups, but you can get them from local Tesco pharmacies, I think Boots too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted November 2, 2010 Share Posted November 2, 2010 If I were in an at risk group I would have the jab, better safe than sorry. I have only had proper flu once when my children were small, and it was awful. I had to time paracetamol doses just to do the most basic of tasks for the children. One day I practically crawled to school to collect them because there was no alternative. The worst illness that I have ever had was a bad bout of tonsilitis when I was 16, I had a chest infection with it and coughed and felt weak for several months afterwards. I do somtimes wonder if that was misdiagnosed and was actually flu, but it was May when I fell ill Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
the bradley bunch Posted November 2, 2010 Share Posted November 2, 2010 i'm in the at risk group and have been since a youngster so always have the flu jab. i've always suffered flu symptoms & an achey arm for 12 hours or so after been jabbed, but last year when we had to have the swine flu jab as well me & my hubby (who has to have it too because he's my main carer) were really ill and literally couldn't move for 2 days without our whole bodies hurting but if i'd have got swine flu i know we would've suffered like that for much longer, and it probably would've killed me tbh! so we'll definately be having ours again this year...although hubby may have to be tricked into having his when he takes me along for mine ...he's such a wimp, i certainly couldn't cope with him moping around with flu for weeks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted November 3, 2010 Share Posted November 3, 2010 I have a flu jab every year and have had for many years. The last time I had flu I nearly died - severe pneumonia and coughing up blood - I got it despite having had the jab as I was affected by a type not included in the jab. Flu is not a bad cold, it can be very serious if you have respiratory problems, or have other diseases that affect your immune system. I had to fight to get a swine flu jab last year, and am delighted this year that H1N1 is included in the jab. However I am never notified by my GP - I always have to ring up and ask to be included on the list. No matter, I got it this year and am now protected as much as is possible. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted November 4, 2010 Share Posted November 4, 2010 Glad you got it Docsquid. I know last year you were worried sick about not getting the jab - our Health authority has stopped sending flu letters which frankly made little differnce as last year they sent in July and caused reception a lot of angst with patients ringing wanting their appointments By the way where have you been - not posted for a while and I was only thinking we've not had a post from DQ for a while. Hope you've been well - not being nosey or anything Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted November 4, 2010 Share Posted November 4, 2010 Glad you got it Docsquid. I know last year you were worried sick about not getting the jab - our Health authority has stopped sending flu letters which frankly made little differnce as last year they sent in July and caused reception a lot of angst with patients ringing wanting their appointments By the way where have you been - not posted for a while and I was only thinking we've not had a post from DQ for a while. Hope you've been well - not being nosey or anything I have been poorly during the summer, as it happens. My lung function is not very good, but I have picked up a bit now - but it grumbles along at 40% normal, so not brilliant. We have also been extremely busy with a new development at our wildlife site which has taken much of our time. Basically we have bought 9 acres more land which has needed a lot of work doing. That and two holidays to Ireland and Iceland! I have been dropping in and catching up from time to time. Thank you for asking Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MedusA Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 Not sure if it was anything to do with the flu jab or because I was sickening for a cold anyway, but I felt lousy all day yesterday. Feel a bit brighter today, but still not over it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 9, 2010 Share Posted November 9, 2010 Having weighed up all the arguments, I took the plunge and had the jab today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted November 9, 2010 Share Posted November 9, 2010 I may have misheard but I think I heard someone on the radio say Sainsbury's were doing the flu jab for £3. Worth checking out if you want one. Had mine done at the GPs a couple of weeks ago with no side effects at all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...