LisaP Posted October 25, 2010 Share Posted October 25, 2010 I had my jab at the doctor's surgery on Saturday and so far, so good I have it done annually as I'm asthmatic and touch wood I've never had any side effects. Lisa P Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickweed Posted October 25, 2010 Share Posted October 25, 2010 I wouldn't touch the Swine Flu Vaccine with a bargepole after reading about the connection with Guillane Barre Syndrome. I agree with you Egluntyne. My husband has been recovering from this for the past six months.To see a fit and healthy man paralysed within days, suffering agonising pain in hospital and at home is not something I would wish on anyone. We suspect that a full recovery may take until next year or longer. I know the connection with the Flu vaccine is anecdotal (my husband didn't have the jab) and scientific research needs to be done, but I for one won't be having it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarkBevBen Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 I usually have the jab every year being asthmatic Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarkBevBen Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 This reminds me of that MMR scare a few years ago. Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. We're still seeing all the repercusions of all the damage Andrew Wakefield did there. I'm a paediatric nurse and In the last few months I have seen three babies who have all contracted measles before they were due to get their jab These are all extremely serious diseases that were practically erradicated before his report came out and now because of the doubt it's caused, we're seeing more and more babies and children with these horrible diseases I'm all for parents making their own decisions regarding vaccinations, however I feel strongly they should be given the best possible and accurate information Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 MarkBevBen I totally agree, Ive seen a few cases of measles this year (Im old enough to have seen it before) people have forgotten just how dangerous these diseases are some people do have side effects from vaccines very rarely dangerous ones, but catching the disease for vulnerable people is much more risky. Having seen babies & children die from whooping cough & being helpless to do anything to save them, children blinded & brain damaged from measles and a young diabetic get sceptacaemia and die from flu I'll take my chances with the vaccine any day. I agree we need to make informed choices, that means having good sound information available not the Daily Mail version. If people then decide against any sort of vaccination its their choice, if you are fit & healthy fine you can run the risk, if you are very young ,old or have a long term condition you need to think very carefully before saying no. Companies that manufacture vaccines are not in the business of killing or harming people, it costs them too much money Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MarkBevBen Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 MarkBevBen I totally agree, Ive seen a few cases of measles this year (Im old enough to have seen it before) people have forgotten just how dangerous these diseases are some people do have side effects from vaccines very rarely dangerous ones, but catching the disease for vulnerable people is much more risky. Having seen babies & children die from whooping cough & being helpless to do anything to save them, children blinded & brain damaged from measles and a young diabetic get sceptacaemia and die from flu I'll take my chances with the vaccine any day. I agree we need to make informed choices, that means having good sound information available not the Daily Mail version. If people then decide against any sort of vaccination its their choice, if you are fit & healthy fine you can run the risk, if you are very young ,old or have a long term condition you need to think very carefully before saying no. Companies that manufacture vaccines are not in the business of killing or harming people, it costs them too much money Thank you Tiggy. I can vauguely remember children getting measles when I was a child, but very sadly now we're seeing more and more cases of it because of the damage that Andrew Wakefield has done. It's awful isn't it I forgot to add earlier, that I myself have had the MMR jab recently - all nurses/medics working in paediatrics are now offered it and tested for immunity because of the risk. The MMR wasn't about when I was a child, so I've had it and I've been fine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 I think people sometimes forget the huge volume of vaccinations that are carried out each year. The number of people that occasionally have a proven reaction to a vaccination is a miniscule percentage of the total number given. The risk factors and so tiny - especially compared to the risk of contracting some of these nasty illnesses. I've had the flu jab in the past (employer insisted we were all "done", and they paid for it, or we wouldn't pay full sick pay if we caught it ) and if I was at any specific risk, I would have it done again without issue. While I believe we should question things as a society, blatant scare mongering and tabloid style reporting really doesn't help. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kerryegg Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 Doctor just said I'll do your flu jab while you're here so I didn't really think about it. Over 60 and mild asthma. No side effects apart from a sore arm at the vaccination point for a couple of days. Much better than flu I would think. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 MarkBevBen I totally agree, Ive seen a few cases of measles this year (Im old enough to have seen it before) people have forgotten just how dangerous these diseases are some people do have side effects from vaccines very rarely dangerous ones, but catching the disease for vulnerable people is much more risky. Having seen babies & children die from whooping cough & being helpless to do anything to save them, children blinded & brain damaged from measles and a young diabetic get sceptacaemia and die from flu I'll take my chances with the vaccine any day. I agree we need to make informed choices, that means having good sound information available not the Daily Mail version. If people then decide against any sort of vaccination its their choice, if you are fit & healthy fine you can run the risk, if you are very young ,old or have a long term condition you need to think very carefully before saying no. Companies that manufacture vaccines are not in the business of killing or harming people, it costs them too much money Completely agree. My children are all having the MMR. I don't mind if parents ensure their children have all the jabs done separately as long as they are vaccinated. I think it is called herd immunity? I wouldn't normally have a flu jab and certainly wouldn't pay for it but as it is being offered me for free and I can see the benefits of it in my current situation I shall have it. Certain professions (medical) and carers cannot afford to be ill. Many people confuse a bad cold with flu. I have actually only had flu a couple of times in my life so far - got a cold at the moment though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 (edited) here are some facts: most years 15% of the population get flu (even more get flu like illness that are really a bad cold) Gullian Barre Syndrome is a rare condition triggered by viral illness, including influenza 1.500 people a year are affected.,It is debated that 1:100,000 people may have previously got it from the flu jab (much fewer than those who get GBS naturally so to speak) This first was noted in 1976 when USA rushed out a live SWINE FLU vaccine (yes thats right 1976) because of an outbreak in a millitary baracks. In 1976 25 people died of GBS, but 40 million doses of the vaccine were given. It was not known for sure if they had caught flu or if the vaccine had caused the problem. Modern versions are very different but because of the 1976 experiance doctors are advised to look out for GBS. GBS is caused by viruses and it is thought that modern vaccines could even be protective against the syndrome time will tell. 3,000 - 4,000 people die each year from flu in the UK (mostly in at risk groups) this rises to 30,000 in an epidemic year (1989/90 last one). flu vaccines have been around since 1945 and are 80% effective in preventing death from flu related complications (we now use killed vaccine so its safer) complications of real flu include:- Gulliian Barre Syndrome Myocarditis Encephalitis heart failure toxic shock febrile fits pneumonia DEATH complications of vaccination:- 1:10 doses mild flu like symptoms , swelling redness soreness around injection site often better with in 48 hours less than 1%, more severe allergic reactions to vaccine or its components (common to all vaccines) rare & much less so with new more refined preparations when you consider the millions of vaccines that have been given its a tiny risk http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-flu/6038460/Doctors-told-to-watch-for-Guillain-Barre-syndrome-during- Swine-flu-vaccination-programme.html http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=7714&cpage=1 make informed choices guys!!!!!! . Edited October 26, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 Ummmm what does being a mum have to do with not being able to afford to be sick? do the rest of us not have jobs, homes and pets to worry about?!! I read recently and have heard a few times that chicken owners registered with defra are entitled to a free flu jab... I've never followed that up though.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 26, 2010 Author Share Posted October 26, 2010 Ummmm what does being a mum have to do with not being able to afford to be sick? do the rest of us not have jobs, homes and pets to worry about?!! I did use that more of a figure of speech,but when you are a mum,have a job,pets and a home being ill can be a nightmare Children are dependants. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 I think that most of us can let the housework slide and the job can wait a few days while we are sick. They are not that critical. Other jobs/roles are critical and those people who offer an essential service are always offered a flu jab. I agree that being a Mum does not mean you need a flu jab - I'm a Mum of 3 and have never had a flu jab before. What I would say is being so sick you can barely move without fainting and having 3 pre-schoolers that rely on you to dress them, wash them, carry them, feed them (including 3 hourly breast feeds through the night), amuse them, change their nappies, deal with tantrums, cuddle them etc etc., would definitely sway me to have a flu jab if it was on offer. Very young children don't understand the concept of 'having a bad day'. Needless to say it takes longer to recover as you don't get any rest. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 Very young children don't understand the concept of 'having a bad day'. Needless to say it takes longer to recover as you don't get any rest. Ive got an elderly cat like that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 Ive got an elderly cat like that me too! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 I have a garden full of chickens with pretty much the same point of view. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scarlettohara Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 I've never had flu either - I'm sure it's horrid However there are lots of different types of flu every year, the vaccine is only developed based on previous types so you may get it anyway. Well people don't need a flu jab Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 I work for the NHS, and all staff members are strongly encouraged to have the jab over at the occ. health dept. I have it most years, not because I am ever worried about myself, but because both my father and father-in-law have both had severe pneumonia and I come into contact with all sorts of nasties at the hospital, and I don't want to infect them. I have to admit that I do think it's clever how the WHO (World Health Organisation) decides which strains to use each winter. We did quite a few lectures on it at uni. They follow the virus around the globe, as winter moves around the world, and constantly monitor it as it mutates. A few months before winter reaches the UK, they make their decision on which strains will reach the UK that winter and put the companies into production with what needs to be made. I do not envy the person who has to make the decision that day on protecting the elderly and vulnerable of the whole of the UK. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 Whilst undoubtedly a serious infection like the flu can cause horrid complications, so can more simple things....life, my friends, is quite dangerous. I have a friend who had Guillame Barre Syndrome and it is very scary.. She has taken a couple of years to recover - and is thankfully now back to normal, but at one point she could only breathe with the help of a machine, and we thought she might not walk again. However, she didn't have flu, she had a tummy bug. Likewise I had a friend die from the complications of septacemia after a tummy bug. No vaccinations available against these I think.Personally, I would still feel much more comfortable about the whole thing if cash incentives for surgeries for immunisation programmes were removed. OK you could argue that it takes more Practice Nurses to administer the jabs, but...really ?_ I only ever saw our usual practice nurses administering my childrens' jabs, (not MMR I'm afraid, I was a dissenter, and we don't have the Daily Mail, I was motivated by the fact that at the time the vaccine was not approved for use in Germany amongst other places). Or if it truly costs the surgeries more to administer jabs, why not just bill the health authority for the overtime? Instead of this they are paid generously for childhood immunisation programmes and the flu jab. Perhaps I am just a cynic. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted October 28, 2010 Share Posted October 28, 2010 Whilst undoubtedly a serious infection like the flu can cause horrid complications, so can more simple things....life, my friends, is quite dangerous. I have a friend who had Guillame Barre Syndrome and it is very scary.. She has taken a couple of years to recover - and is thankfully now back to normal, but at one point she could only breathe with the help of a machine, and we thought she might not walk again. However, she didn't have flu, she had a tummy bug. Likewise I had a friend die from the complications of septacemia after a tummy bug. No vaccinations available against these I think.Personally, I would still feel much more comfortable about the whole thing if cash incentives for surgeries for immunisation programmes were removed. OK you could argue that it takes more Practice Nurses to administer the jabs, but...really ?_ I only ever saw our usual practice nurses administering my childrens' jabs, (not MMR I'm afraid, I was a dissenter, and we don't have the Daily Mail, I was motivated by the fact that at the time the vaccine was not approved for use in Germany amongst other places). Or if it truly costs the surgeries more to administer jabs, why not just bill the health authority for the overtime? Instead of this they are paid generously for childhood immunisation programmes and the flu jab. Perhaps I am just a cynic. cynic, you & many other people, the extra money made for giving flu jabs at my surgery goes to pay for the overtime worked by the nurses admin & reception staff, we have to put on extra sessions outside of normal hours or they dont get done in time. If you were asked to work 8.30 - 12.30 on a Saturday morning or until 8 at night I think you would want to be paid Money to give childrens jabs is now included into the normal 'global sum' for the local practices paid by the PCT to provided medical services in primary care. So extra money is not paid out to GPs but there are penalties if you dont hit your immunisation targets - dont get me started on that one. How can you pay profffessionals dependant upon if a patient/parent wants to have a smear or vaccination. The GP is penalized if you say no I can see that happening anywhere else all of these targeted services take a lot of admin and nursing time Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickric Posted October 28, 2010 Share Posted October 28, 2010 I had mine this morning no problems I do feel for the practice nurses though - lots of extra work! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted October 28, 2010 Share Posted October 28, 2010 I had mine this morning no problems I do feel for the practice nurses though - lots of extra work! Ahem...that was me - I didn't realise I was logged in as hubby Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted October 28, 2010 Share Posted October 28, 2010 Had mine done this morning. All fine so far - no soreness yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted October 28, 2010 Share Posted October 28, 2010 I had mine this morning no problems I do feel for the practice nurses though - lots of extra work! Ahem...that was me - I didn't realise I was logged in as hubby Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted October 28, 2010 Share Posted October 28, 2010 Thanks Chickric/vic - it is hard work doing flu clinics but this yr its worse as people get uppity about it being a dual vaccine and treat it as if its our fault. I;ve had a much needed break this week but back to flu clinics next week and some pts see it as a chance to bring a " shopping list" of worries which drives me nuts when appts are only 5 mins. Be glad when its January and back to normal - hate this time of year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...