Lewis Posted November 13, 2010 Share Posted November 13, 2010 Its my birthday on the 11th and Mothers on 13th so we always say they'll go up after that ... never works We got a real tree for the first time last year - me + Nat (brother) walked to get it Got everything out of the loft and started putting them up. Looks good eventually! We're going to decorate Halls at some point Ordered our turkey last night but 'cos I'm usually at the farm we can normally choose who we want - be strange not doing it this year so will try and do a couple of days when I'm back. Makes me feel all Christmassy, wearing a santa hat, cheesy christmas songs on and giving people their turkeys in the snow Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sage Posted November 13, 2010 Share Posted November 13, 2010 We never bothered untill we had Zoe 2 years ago. Last year I think it was the week before and took them down onthe weekend before I go back to work. Sage Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 the sunday before Christmas here (or preceding w/e depending when Christmas falls), always a real tree and usually a biggie - about 10 foot as we have high ceilings! and we turn our porch into an ultra tacky Christmas grotto, including a dancing cactus which sings "Feliz Navidad" whenever anyone walks past/bangs the door. and they come down on 12th night. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackie45 Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 Hi we put our tree up christmas eve and take everything down 12th night. We always had a real tree from Forestry commisssion but with the children now with their own families we took the plunge and got one from John Lewis. I am always amazed with how early people put up tree etc, when we used to go to work ( 20 mile journey) we always looked out for the first Christmas tree and decorations!! I saw a "Merry Christmas" sign in a house window on 9th November. About the earliest in 30 years of looking out. best wishes Jackie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 A house in town has a santa climbing up their porch, it has been there for a week so Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 We went to B & Q today and they have quite a few skinny trees, the cheapest of which was only £6.50, it didn't look too bad either The branches were quite flimsey though, so you could only use light decorations. We are going to take the children out to choose a tree sometime in the next couple of weeks. We may end up with our big artificial one crammed into the corner, maybe leaving off a few branches if it doesn't make it too unstable. I am feeling really excited this year for some reason. i have spent the evening looking at Christmas cookbooks and writing a list of stuff that I need Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 I drove past a house in Reading last Tuesday with all the decos up and lights on. I am amazed so few people don't do the traditional 12 days before and 12 days after thing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Our tree goes up when Little Miss Webmuppet nags Mr Webmuppet into submission Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickendoodle Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 December 5th - my ED's birthday. She is 25 and has left home but can't break the habit. Always take them down on New Years Day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 14-15 Dec mine & OH birthdays Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Normally weekend just before and straight down asap as we always had youngs dogs in the house. This year we can get a little more christmasy as we only have the house bunnies to watch out for. I have booked myself in for a Christmas wreath making course at the local garden Centre for some new ideas and get into the festive spirte. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but the past few years we haven't bothered with decorations It's just the 2 of us, so seems a hassle, although I love Christmas, and feel Christmassy wrapping presents A house around the corner from us have their Christmas lights on already Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 We buy a tree and put it up 7ish days before Christmas, depeding on when Christmas day falls. We used to do it the weekend before Christmas, but found that we were often limited in our choice of tree. Think I mightr buy the tree a few days earlier, but leave it oustide until we're ready for it. A few years ago I went to a Wreath making thing, and it was great. I always decorate my own wreath now, and the wreath goes up a few days before the tree. We take everything down on 1st January usually, although I have been known to do it much earlier. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Slim Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 mine will be going up on the coop very soon! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
docsquid Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 We do have a tree. It is a white/cream coloured fake tree and looks very subtle with the lights on. We put it up about a week before Christmas and take it down after New Year's Day. TBH I only bother at all because MIL visits and she likes it. I think we could do without it really. Don't bother with any other decorations other than some fairy lights in the porch. We might do a Yule Log this year (a real one, not a chocolate one!). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 A few bits go up at the start of advent but the tree goes up about 10 days before Christmas at the w/e. I suspect with Christmas falling on a w/e it might be the w/e before this year. I love my decorations but it's mostly 2 large trees, some nativities, advent centrepiece on table, wreath on door & candles. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 Ours usually goes up when the kids have broken up from school, which I think is the 17th this year. Previous years, when we have gone away, I have put them up on 1st Dec so I could enjoy them This year they will go up on or around the 17th. But, once I start seeing other peoples photos posted on here, it might even go up earlier They always come down on 12th night. Its a sad day, but is also a good start to the new year with the whole room having a good clean up of any leftover Christmas detritus. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...