Janty

Awful fortnight - lost 3 girls -now 6

There is some good news. Last night it was very obvious that my young reverse sussex had been eaten but we couldn't see any feathers from the amber star. We looked everywhere for her but looking at the mess we assumed that the fox had taken her away. This morning there was no sign of her when I fed the girls but I looked out of the conservatory window just before leaving for work and there she was. There is no sign of any injuries. She was just very wet and wary. I snuggled her and stroked her. She is now in with the others in the WIR separated in her own run so that they can get used to each other and she can have some friends again. I'm so relieved.

The pekins on the other hand are cheesed to say the least at being confined to their WIR despite the deployment of extra treats and snuggles.

Janty - I AM sorry....How awful. Also sorry if it sounded as if I was being flippant and insensitive on the other "how many chickens" thread...I'd not spotted this, and thought you were referring to your earlier loss only. To have another one so soon is just miserable - though I'm happy for you that the amber is home safely.

Do hope that's your run of horrors out the way now.

Janty - I AM sorry....How awful. Also sorry if it sounded as if I was being flippant and insensitive on the other "how many chickens" thread...I'd not spotted this, and thought you were referring to your earlier loss only. To have another one so soon is just miserable - though I'm happy for you that the amber is home safely.

Do hope that's your run of horrors out the way now.

No problem, honestly.

Just read this thread Janty, as I've not been around much recently, and I'm so sorry to hear about your losses :(, especially Popcorn, who I remember wanting to steal, and your little chicks who were still quite little when I saw them. I lost three girls in as many weeks earlier this year and remember being at a point where I just wanted to put out a bin-bag without a dead hen in it :cry:.

Sending lots of ((hugs)) to you and yours, and hoping the tide has now turned :pray:.