Lesley

The Good Life 2011 - New photos!

Next house, Lewis!!!!! :shock::lol: When I get something perhaps on a slightly smaller scale than Lesley's. Er how many acres do you have Lesley by the way? We were thinking along the lines of 2.5/3 and no more than 5 - can't manage more when I get my zimmerframe! :lol:

We have almost 8 acres Val........I wasn't sure I'd manage when we bought it as my knee was still in a bad way....it has helped enormously and I'm sure I'll still be able to manage when I acquire my zimmer frame in a few years time :wink: It's not really very big........

We had 2 new additions today - a phone call at midday and that was the rest of our day written off :D

They're Badger Face X Texcel

DSCF1692.jpg

DSCF1694.jpg

We had to settle them in and then go off to buy milk for them, they've had two feeds now and aren't too bad at feeding - their mum died so they're having to learn to bottle feed. Jazz and Tali have been very gentle with them - we sat in the sunshine to feed them this afternoon.

We might even manage to feed ourselves shortly!.....and then fit in a late feed for the lambs and be back up at 6am again :D

Hi Lesley - your lambs are soooo sweet!

Quick question - as I know you'll know best. How do you keep all your grass short on 8 acres? We are about to take on a Smallholding ( fingers crossed) with possibly 15 acres. :shock: We have a sit on tractor / mower & a really good strimmer -but not too keen on wanting sheep. There will be the chooks, pigs, pygmy goats & eventually Alpacas...but other than that how do you keep the grass down?

I'm getting there with my rainbow of eglus Lesley! :wink:

Are the lambs for the table or to be kept for wool? Whatever, they are beautiful!

Emma.x

They're for the table Emma - we still find it hard to do, especially when you've bottle fed them :(

We used all our savings to have decent fencing done when we moved in and we have a series of paddocks for the sheep and cows to move through, our worming programme is to move the animals every three weeks which breaks the worm cycle and having cows and sheep together also helps. The pigs have two paddocks and we use them alternatively unless they become really short of grass and then we let them into the second paddock. We have a strip along each side and across the top which is wide enough for a big tractor and we've kept that mown or strimmed but only because the perimeter fencing had a few gaps but my son came on Saturday and we've filled all the gaps so now we can put the sheep out there so it will be less labour intensive.

The one area we struggle to keep on top of is about one tenth of the whole area - we have planted about one hundred trees for future fuel use and we have to strim that as sheep would kill the young trees - we have Muntjac who make a good job of doing that to some of the fruit trees anyway :evil: - parts of it we can mow with a topper attached to the small tractor we have.

We weren't going to have sheep originally but we're really glad we were offered our Shetlands as we've enjoyed them - they make excellent lawnmowers..........

Good luck with your plans - I hope you're going to tell all?

Time to go and do the last feed for the lambs......

Very cute :D

We have a lamb at the farm that follows you everywhere - will have to put the video on later :lol:

Bit late to head over there now, but perhaps after next Saturday's market if you're around.

:think: Is that the 9th or the 2nd? ;)

That's really exciting for you EmmaCHP - I wish you lots of success and lots of happiness. We still have a couple of years - it's always a couple of years and I expect next year it will still be a couple of years! :evil: There always seems to be something holding us up. First it was school, so we planned that once they were in uni we would go. Well they didn't go to uni but have jobs and still living at home (one moving to his own flat this week! :dance: ) but it's always what the daughter needs as far as OH is concerned. Pah! :boohoo:

Depending on where you want to move to, I'd start looking now! We have been looking for about 1 and a half years! You get to realise what your main priorities are & what really isn't acceptable. We've seen some awful places. Some were either teeny houses with lots of land, others huge houses with a teeny bit of land. Then there was the issue of location. We knew we wanted mid - South Wales. We eventually narrowed it down by looking.

However, this one is just right.

Good luck for you too.

Emma.x

Been looking for years! Area now narrowed down to Cambridge/south west Norfolk/Suffolk borders/Northants/Essex at a push (that one he doesn't want but if the right place comes up then . . .). He's working in north London so a right old trek for him in the early hours. I think the travelling might sway things in the right direction! :D