Lesley

The Good Life 2011 - New photos!

The trees we planted are mostly Ash as it burns so well. We also have some hazel, beech and a lot of willow. The willow was for making Living Willow Sculptures and is in three colours - we were given the withies - but we're burning some well seasoned willow and it has been really good so some of the willow will end up coppiced like the others.

Sorry it's taken so long Lesley (holiday and work got in the way) here are photos of the lambs when we went to visit. We fed them, had cuddles and then moved them to an open barn. They are lovely little sturdy things.

Please excuse my 'Saturday face' no time at the weekend for being made up or smart!

20110409-happy-lambs.jpg?w=640&h=480

Tali 'helping' me to feed the lamb

20110409-tali-helping.jpg?w=640&h=480

20110409-loving-that-lamb-2.jpg?w=640&h=853

'Farm Boy' Lewis

20110409-lewis-carrying-a-lamb.jpg?w=640&h=853

20110409-putting-the-lambs-out.jpg?w=640&h=853

That was nearly a month ago, I bet they are much bigger now.

Surprise arrivals!!

Tali was barking at a patch of nettles and pointing - she had found a pheasant's nest. I decided to place a piece of wood over the nest, leaning against the side of the barn but the pheasant flew off and didn't return :( The next day I showed the eggs to my grandchildren who wanted to put the eggs in the incubator..........they ran in to add an initial for their chosen name on an egg each......by the time I caught up, the discreet initial I imagined was a large black, felt-tipped letter :shock:

The eggs were in the incubator and I largely ignored them and only just remembered in time to stop the turning cradle :oops: - and they delivered a far better hatch rate than the hen eggs I set a few weeks ago :shock:

Here is Ernie ( :roll: Lauren's choice)

DSCF1831.jpg

and Michael ( :roll: Jake's choice)

DSCF1832.jpg

a few more...

DSCF1822.jpg

First batch ready to go to the brooder in an outbuilding....

DSCF1824.jpg

The 3 week old chicks had to vacate the brooder....

DSCF1826.jpg

...and moved to the indoor pen....

DSCF1827.jpg

Hmmmmmm........apparently Ernie and Michael are not to be eaten :roll::lol:

I'm a bit torn really, we have a few refugee pheasants from the pens in the next field where they are raised for the shoot........I'd love to set these chicks free when they are big enough but then they will only be shot. If they're going to be eaten then we may as well be the ones doing the eating........not sure yet :? I didn't expect them to hatch but we can give them a large run area to live in for as long as they need one....

Great photos :D

I used to help a gamekeeper look after the chicke and young pheasants when I was about 8 and that is how I got my first hens. he gave me some chicks when we moved away and my family has had hens pretty much ever since. The chicks are really pretty. :D