Lesley

The Good Life 2011 - New photos!

We had a big day planned with grandchildren on Saturday - going to see piglets and new hens......Lauren obviously had other ideas.....an ambulance to Warwick Hosp and most of the day spent there....followed by Monday all day and most of yesterday.......sort of sorted for now.

We did manage to take Jake and were two hours late to see the piglets and made it to collect new hens just before they closed.......

We are having 3 girls from this litter........

DSCF1709.jpg

They had a fine old time wandering from pen to pen - none of the other sows or the boar was bothered...

DSCF1707.jpg

The Welsummer trio - I was going to have just hens and had chosen their names....so they are Pixie (Lott), Paloma (Faith) and.....erm..........the cockerel is called Dita (von Teese) :lol: - he has the feathers for it :lol:

DSCF1712.jpg

The Light Sussex trio we hatched last year - no names yet (I forgot :oops: ) - any ideas?

DSCF1717.jpg

The Dinners - doing what they do best :D

DSCF1721.jpg

The lambs - Mint and Sauce - are growing fast and take the bottles in the bottle rack and are hungry - we're trying to introduce hay and a little of the lamb concentrate pellets but they just want more milk :roll:

Oh those lovely piggies! :mrgreen: I love Welsummers - such handsome cockerels & the girls eggs are so beautifully coloured. At what age will you get your weaners then? Do you name them? :anxious:

Oh & is it true that a boar can easily chew your arm or leg off? I've been told this by a neigbour who used to look after pigs! :shock:

My hubby has a plan for pigs, a plum tree, a hazlenut tree, some spring onions & some sage all in corner of a field. Only so he has all the ingredients for Stuffed bacon chops in jam sauce! :roll:

I hope Lauren is feeling better today.

Emma.x

Great plan for your OHs recipe :lol:

We will have the piglets at 8 weeks old - they're 4 weeks old now - and we always name our pigs :D we never find it easy taking them to the abbatoir and having names doesn't make it any worse. We do a Rear a Pig plan where we raise the pig for people who have already paid a deposit. They come and visit 'their' pig and eventually get their half back ready butchered - as they are having half a pig then each pig has a double barrelled name......some very odd combinations sometimes! :lol:

In theory a fully grown, bad tempered, boar could chew your arm off but unlikely with weaners that you are only taking to pork or bacon weight. Having said that, I wouldn't like to fall flat in the mud in the same paddock as any large pig :lol: The boar at the smallholding we visited on Saturday was very laid back and happy. We like to visit to see the piglets with the sow, seeing the boar as well is a bonus.

Fantastic looking pigs .....

good to hear from you again Martin.

Was wondering if you could give me some advise Lesley, our ducklings hatched out 3 days ago but they don't seem to be eating a great deal, should we be making the crumb into a mash for them? or leaving it as crumb with water next to it?

I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet and just order the pig ark this week and rely on electric fencing to keep them in.......it might move hubby on with the fencing I suppose :roll:

Hi Martin -good to see you here :)

Ducklings shold be fine with crumb but they may need to be shown what to do like hen chicks? Ours were fine and just started eating it. Chicks sometimes need to be shown by putting some crumb on a sheet of paper and tapping at it either with a finger of pencil and the chicks copy and peck at the crumb.

It is hard work but we love it :D - I also have time for slobbing around/watching rubbish on TV/reading :lol: I do watch recorded TV at odd times though!

OSH - The trees we planted are mostly Ash as it burns so well. We also have some hazel, beech and a lot of willow. The willow was for making Living Willow Sculptures and is in three colours - we were given the withies - but we're burning some well seasoned willow and it has been really good so some of the willow will end up coppiced like the others. We've also planted a lot of fruit trees in 3 areas.