CluckyBucks

Honey cant stand up, flops & eyes shut *sad update*

Can anybody give me some advice please? My silkie, Honey, who i presumed to be broody seems very poorly. When i put her into the run she just flopped and toppled over herself. Her crop is full, which may be the problem but she seems so ill. Is there anything i can do?

Thankyou all.

xx !eggwhite! xx

I'm not sure what else you can do apart from make her as comfortable as possible until you can get her to a vet. I couldn't tell that Maisy had a distended abdomen, but the vet could. I separated Maisy from my other 3 girls, so that she had her own food and water and didn't get pecked at (other hens seem to know that one is sick and start pecking).

The fact you have said that she's a Silkie has made me a more worried on hearing her symptoms.

You said she can't stand up and flops, does she flop to one side? When she tries to walk does she try and put a wing out to balance her which droops?

If the answer to these is Yes, it sounds like Mareks disease to me, Silkies are particularly prone to it. It's a herpes virus that lives in their cells, which gets "activated" usually during traumatic events... Like illness, coming into lay etc.

If she wasn't vaccinated then I think there is a big chance it is Mareks, if it is then I am so sorry as she won't be able to be cured from it :(

Having lost 2 Silkie girls myself to Mareks (one only this week) I can sympathise as it is a truly distressing condition :cry:

I went to the vet... Honey was put to sleep. They didn't tell me exactly what was wrong, but at least now she isnt in pain anymore. She was 2 years and 5 days old, she always made me laugh and was brilliant company when i was feeling down. At least i can say that i spoiled her rotten, and in a way she spoiled me rotten because she was so precious to me and i am lucky to have known such a lively spirit.

xx !eggwhite! xx