chestnutmare

please help me with my morehens disease!

Roobaloo, you are a bad influence on me. I had told myself "No more chickens because I cannot afford a new coup." Then you go and mention building something and I realised that I could convert the slightly dilapidated children's playhouse....I could house loads in there, I mean, literally shed loads.... :lol::notalk::wink: NO :!:

Roobaloo, you are a bad influence on me. I had told myself "No more chickens because I cannot afford a new coup." Then you go and mention building something and I realised that I could convert the slightly dilapidated children's playhouse....I could house loads in there, I mean, literally shed loads.... :lol::notalk::wink: NO :!:

................Shed loads?...........Hmm, the shed at the bottom of the garden could be emptied out of all its junk...wonder how many I could fit in that big thing?

:lol::anxious::anxious::lol:

................Shed loads?...........Hmm, the shed at the bottom of the garden could be emptied out of all its junk...wonder how many I could fit in that big thing?

:lol::anxious::anxious::lol:

That's pretty much what I did....I stripped the cladding (is that the right term?!) off so it was just the bare structure, put up the wire and ta daaa...WIR!! :D

:lol:

That sounds a better idea than trying to improve the interior of an old shed with all its cracks and crevices....I'll have to do some thinking this weekend :think::think::D

I was thinking more along the lines of a giant coup! The run would be outside enclosed by electric fencing. This is fanciful of me really. Then again, I was wondering about ducks. Apparrently, there are some breeds that don't need a pond, just a paddling pool to dip their heads in. Anyone got ducks? :whistle:

Have a look on the duck area of this forum, but yes, I have a friend down the road who has 3 Pekin hens, one Pekin cockerel and two Aylesbury ducks. She has one of those large, low tub trug things as a pond. The ducks just love it and it is not so deep that she has to worry about the Pekins getting drowned.

This friend also happens live near someone who has put an electric fence round her garden and has adapated a normal garden shed for a chicken coop. All she did was clear it out, put a hinged pop hole in the door and a couple or roosting bars inside and then got a load of hens :D It is brillliant but my OH wouldn't let me do that to our shed. (What is it with men and sheds :roll: )

I've had a dilemma...of sorts.

Whilst visiting various websites, My MHD has flared up...I obviously want Pekins but I was thinking, instead of just getting three Pekins it would be better to buy a selection now rather than get my Pekins and think "...Sebrights would be good...!!"

I definitely want Bantams....so, size-wise, what's the difference between Pekins, Sebrights and Araucanas...? Or does anyone have any other "Must-have" bantam suggestions?? :wink:

:lol:

That sounds a better idea than trying to improve the interior of an old shed with all its cracks and crevices....I'll have to do some thinking this weekend :think::think::D

I was thinking more along the lines of a giant coup! The run would be outside enclosed by electric fencing. This is fanciful of me really. Then again, I was wondering about ducks. Apparrently, there are some breeds that don't need a pond, just a paddling pool to dip their heads in. Anyone got ducks? :whistle:

Yes, I had been thinking of turning it into a coop originally, but it would need so much doing to it to make it more rodent proof.... Still thinking! :lol:

I've had a dilemma...of sorts.

Whilst visiting various websites, My MHD has flared up...I obviously want Pekins but I was thinking, instead of just getting three Pekins it would be better to buy a selection now rather than get my Pekins and think "...Sebrights would be good...!!"

I definitely want Bantams....so, size-wise, what's the difference between Pekins, Sebrights and Araucanas...? Or does anyone have any other "Must-have" bantam suggestions?? :wink:

I would certainly get a selection. When I first started out I got three Pekins and then wished I had some other breeds, so I ended up giving two of my Pekins to a friend. They had a nice home but it was a bit of a waste of money. Pekins are feisty, have feathered feet, bounce about and talk like guinea pigs. Araucanas lay blue eggs. Sebrights are small, very pretty but have a tendency to fly around if their wings aren't clipped. There are loads of others too. Is there no way you can go somewhere (e.g. Reading bantam show) where you can see several breeds? That's what you really need. If you can't do that then start by just looking at the pictures to work out what really does it for you in terms of looks, then narrow down your 'love the looks' list using other criteria e.g. broodiness, egg laying, friendliness etc. etc.

so im at home for a few wks recovering from operation on my hand (pls excuse any typos!) and wondered if i would be considered quite mad if i took the opportunity to get 2 more girls, well, i need cheering up and theres the added bonus that im here to supervise intros. my oh is away for a week during this time tho, so should i wait until 2 hands working again or go for it? :think: im sure i can fill food & water pots with 1 hand while he's away! :lol:

Is one of your hands in plaster or can you use it at all? I broke 3 fingers in my right hand a few years back, I'm right handed and found I couldn't do much at all at first, walking the dog was a nightmare and simple things like cutting up vegetables were a no no. I did get better using my left hand as time went on, it was nice while it lasted in some ways as I did get out of the ironing etc :D .

Why don't you try filling the food/water pots and all the other chickeny tasks you normally do just with your good hand and see how you get on? Also see if you can pick up your hens ok one handed in case you have too while OH's away. Like you say it would be nice to have some time supervising the intros but I wouldn't commit to getting more girls if you can't manage. Hope your hand is back to normal soon. Let us know how you get on.

It depends what you have had done to your hand, I wouldn't advise doing anything if you have open wounds, I had carpal tunnel decompression three years ago and felt totally useless. I would probably wait until any stitches have been removed and you are able to move your hands properly.

A good excuse though for "morehens". I only wish I had more space.

ive had carpal tunnel op so stitches coming out in 2 wks, maybe i'll be sensible & wait til then...

I know what mine were like and how painful it was to do anything. I hope you are making a good recovery, my pain and tingling is so much better, I still get it sometimes, but mainly in cold weather, but I don't loose grip on things.

My scars have disappeared too.

Once you have the stitches removed, rub in some bio oil along the scar line, it will keep the dryness away and assist healing. Its quite expensive but you only use a little bit, and remember to use lots of good quality hand cream to keep the skin soft it will make a huge difference. I used E45 hand cream and it was brilliant stuff.

ive had carpal tunnel op so stitches coming out in 2 wks, maybe i'll be sensible & wait til then...

Eeep! Yeah, definitely better to wait, especially if your OH is away...if there's a problem, you may end up over doing it, pulling the stitches or causing yourself more damage!!

What a shame though! :doh: