chestnutmare

please help me with my morehens disease!

What's in the incy? :o

1 of my own birds eggs, could be silkie, poland or cross - and 26 polands! mostly silver laced but some pot luck and white crested mixed in, and early days but 6 fertile cuckoo polands too!

Oooo exciting! When is hatching day?

Do you know if Silkie x Poland is a good mix? They sound like they'd be fabulous....or like something from the Muppets!! :think::lol:

silkie poland crosses look gorgeous - very tufty!!

hatching day is this friday :) or is meant to be anyways, I'm a very novice hatcher! All was looking good yesterday when I stopped turning and candled for the last time.

Polands definitely strut. Even when they're acting foolish and pegging it round the garden, they still do the catwalk dance!

I had bought a bag of Garvo a little while ago and the thought that I hadn't opened it yet had been playing on my mind.

Last night I had a dream that when I did eventually open it, it was full of those lovely meaty chunk biscuits that my dog adores and there was nothing at all for the girlies.

When I opened it for real earlier, I was relieved to see chicken pellets but a bit disappointed to see they looked just like any other chicken pellet :shock::lol:

PeckyBeak has it.

Now Lavender is better after her operation, there was room in the eglu attached to the cube run conversion.

So our broody, Fizz is in there on normal eggs waiting for 12 autosex eggs coming Monday.

Yesterday we went out henhunting and returned with a LF splash Poland and a black and white thing (edit Bantam Hamburgh /edit)

Tomorrow we hunt for a Dark Brahma I think... it's all too much! And there's a Rhode Island Red to replace Rhoda in the wings, too...

Wednesday our fifth Cube arrives, so timber and slabs come Monday.

I've planned my nervous breakdown for Friday...

Edited by Guest

Collecting 2 white pekins tomorrow, lady was recommended by a friend in my poultry club as having white pekins of very nice quality :D They are quite expensive and I would like to have a go at showing but as they are to be wives for Freckles he will probably spoil their feathers :?

I have too many chickens but as am going through a divorce I think I need to be distracted :notalk: Well that's my excuse :lol:

Morehens struck today! Went to buy Oscar a couple of ladies...and snuck in one more girl!! ;)

Oscar has a beautiful Rhode Star and a lovely little Maran Cuvree...and for my flock at home, we bought a Skyline!! Couldn't resist her...she's so pretty and already quite large...and Thornes only had two left (they've never had any when I've been before!) and as it's my birthday, she's a gift to myself!!! :D

Pics to follow!! :dance:

It's been a very happy birthday!!! We've been building Oscar's WIR...and it's turned out larger than originally planned!! It's 4.8m x 2.4m!! :oops:

The frame is made, tomorrow we'll add the wire, give it a lick of paintand they can move in on Monday!!

The icing on the (birthday) cake...we came home to find !egggreen! !!!!! :dance:

The Webmuppets now have an Eglu as well as a Cube. Mr Webmuppet was seen to be building it in the dark, by torch light.

I planned to use the as a 'sin bin' and for intro's but it seems Mr W and LMW are plotting to fill the Eglu with bantams ( I caught them plotting whilst I was dishing up his favorite toad in the hole) seems they have caught More Hens Disease! I'm not sure our little garden can cope with anymore chooks ( or does the recent demise of one hybrid chook equal an Eglu full of bantams -not sure of the chicken math there :think: !)

I have just acquired a converted rabbit hutch to put a broody and eggs in (if I get a broody), then I realised that would be the perfect house for the ducks which means I have an even bigger hen house free for more hens. :lol:

So I was starting with just 3 hens for the first year. A year on it is 11 hens and 3 ducks and plans for hatching. :lol:

I think my process was:

1) get hens for eggs

2) realised there are lots of breeds out there

3) wanting chicks

4) not patient enough to wait for chicks so got some purebreeds

5) pure breed colourful egg laying chicks arrive

6) want something different so get ducks

7) want something different and some big fluffy ones needed rehoming so I couldn't refuse

8) want my 'own' home grown hens....

etc etc...

Who seriously wants a cure anyway???

I did have everything planned out! Get a coop, get four ex batts the end...

It then became it takes longer than one thought to obtain ex batts. Oh look the coop is empty what a waste need to fill. Then changed to buy three and get three ex batts! Called local(ish) breeder. Specified 3 different breeds I wanted ( one of each) only had one breed ready to go! So collected two of that breed. Then the other breed was ready - collected two of those! Then bhwt contacted me " yeah put me down for two or three" (ready in April) the free range farm closes. Will collect some for a friend.... Oh go on I might as well give a needy bird a home !

That has to be it!!! I must be over the worst of it now??!!?

I did have everything planned out! Get a coop, get four ex batts the end...

It then became it takes longer than one thought to obtain ex batts. Oh look the coop is empty what a waste need to fill. Then changed to buy three and get three ex batts! Called local(ish) breeder. Specified 3 different breeds I wanted ( one of each) only had one breed ready to go! So collected two of that breed. Then the other breed was ready - collected two of those! Then bhwt contacted me " yeah put me down for two or three" (ready in April) the free range farm closes. Will collect some for a friend.... Oh go on I might as well give a needy bird a home !

That has to be it!!! I must be over the worst of it now??!!?

Is it my chicken maths or does your signature need updating :lol:

We've had a very exciting day here! The Beechgrove Garden TV programme visited today as we've made the shortlist to be on the programme - one of the presenters and one of the production team. The hens being typically nosey were all stood up on their perches having a good shout - maybe they'll get to be on tv?? :lol:

We have been selected :D filming is on August 10th - my chookies might be on TV :lol: