chestnutmare

please help me with my morehens disease!

Wendy..........was just thinking ........you'll just have your new intro's all sorted .............then your ex batts will arrive :lol::lol:

:shock: I know! Yikes...i hate to think what Attila may be like... :roll:

Harmony is still in the WIR - there appears to be a total acceptance of the pecking order - little Olive still stays on the boundaries but is quick and still gets her share - she gets the odd peck from the Hybrids (oddly the Rhodey girls dont bother her at all) but it is just a 'out of my way lowlife' type peck. There are no feathers lying around, so i wonder if i should re-spray her with anti-peck or not?

They have just had their porridge - with grapes in it - which caused MUCH excitement!

It's spread to Hertfordshire now...maybe I caught it as a student Paramedic with the London Ambulance service :?. Omlet sold me 2 x Miss Pepperpot and 2x Gingernut Rangers in November but now I have caught the dreaded Morehens disease when I travelled to Letchworth yesterday.

4 newbies Sussex Line x1, Speckledy x1, White Star x1 and Magpie x1.

I spent the whole of today in a chair in the Garden watching hens as I realised how this disease can't be treated :P

i have it hun and im sorry to tell you its cronic

i started with 2 hens in wooden house then i got 2 more so brought a cube

then i wanted some blue eggs so i got a (orange eglu) and 2 crested legbars

then my daughter wanted some exbatts so i brought a !gored! and got 3 (sadly lost due to a dog attack )

and i lost my bluebelle due to a prolapse

but then gained connie and tia from frecycle lol

so i now have 7

im now looking for a new WIR and im putting 12 orp eggs in the inncy lol

its a good job i have a massive garden :lol:

im a nurse and as of yet ive not come accross a immunisation program

This fever is getting worse....Pekin fever that is!!

My parent's have just bought a new property and the previous owner has two hens...As a new hen owner, Mum started up a convo about them and the seller said that he can't really take the hens with him...and Mum offered to keep them.

When they move in, my Dad will be making a lovely new WIR for their hens and the two existing ones....which means, they'll be a nice little hen house going spare...which would fit in neatly against my girls WIR...and I'm thinking it'd suit a nice pair of pekins...

Now, my OH doesn't like chickens, he's actually scared of them...he didn't want me to get them in the first place!! :angel: So...how do I convince him that his life is incomplete without two of the tiny delights? :think:

:wink:

...and feel free to tell me how wonderful your pekins are...pictures also appreciated!! :lol:

This fever is getting worse....Pekin fever that is!! . . . a nice little hen house going spare...which would fit in neatly against my girls WIR...and I'm thinking it'd suit a nice pair of pekins...

Now, my OH doesn't like chickens, he's actually scared of them...how do I convince him that his life is incomplete without two of the tiny delights? :think:

If Silkies are the bunnies of the chicken world, Pekins are the Guinea Pigs. They talk all the time in dear little voices and come running to greet you when you return from work. Tell your OH that he can't possibly be scared of two dear little cuddly wuddly, squeaky, feathered Guniea Pigs :lol:

Then get him to look at The Norfolk Gardens Chickens Website click on 'Pekins', and look along to the right. He'll see some very special girls. I know I'm smitten :whistle:

This fever is getting worse....Pekin fever that is!! . . . a nice little hen house going spare...which would fit in neatly against my girls WIR...and I'm thinking it'd suit a nice pair of pekins...

Now, my OH doesn't like chickens, he's actually scared of them...how do I convince him that his life is incomplete without two of the tiny delights? :think:

Then get him to look at The Norfolk Gardens Chickens Website click on 'Pekins', and look along to the right. He'll see some very special girls. I know I'm smitten :whistle:

Welll thanks for that link, just made my morehens worse :roll::lol::lol::lol:

From reading online I was aware of this condition. Last Sunday I got my first 6 chickens. Yesterday I found a local supplier only about 3 miles from my house (she has 300+ and supplies eggs, chicks and more than I could imagine). While there I realised my coop was far bigger than I needed... which means I can get loads more chickens with my existing set up. :)

I'm going to attend a course there before I get any more though... probably.

Space Chick - I'll be moving your way soon - you best watch out for chookies going poof in the night. They might just end up in my eglus! :whistle: I have ultimately serious morehen breakdown disease at the moment & it's only the fact that I'm going to be moving that is stopping me. Once moved & settled, hubby will not know how many we have from one day to the next - plus ducks, guineas, pigs &..... :shh: (secret animals).

Emma.x

I'm sorry to have to break it you but morehens disease is not just serious, it's terminal :lol:

Totally agree - mine is terminal too - back in December I happily had 2 hens...as of last week I have 6..... :?:lol:

I fear there is no cure. :notalk:

I must say as a newbie or even pre-newbie I have been swotting (is that the spelling?) up on the chicken knowledge on here only to be disturbed to hear about this seemingly local disease. Oh yeah ,ha ha I get it (more than I thought)

Would you believe that only after such brief and remote exposure on here (and not even a whiff of one real hen yet) I have caught it too....so am now plotting to squeeze a fourth ex batt into my soon to be hen-eglu. Yikes contagious or wot?