chestnutmare

please help me with my morehens disease!

Should I say congratulations or so sorry you have an uncurable disease?? They sound lovely!

Hmm, husband would definitely say incurable disease!

In my defence, we'd (ok, I'd!) planned to get either a couple of Silkies or Pekins later in the spring anyway, part of the reason for an upgrade to a walk-in run - Meg & Mog have just arrived a bit earlier than planned!

Will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow if sun still out - they're a bit shy still, mostly hiding at the back of our existing run, but hoping they'll come out of themselves soon. :anxious:

a bit of luck....(and some pretty laid back girlies)

Kept the original girls in the existing run with the door shut whilst the new girls spent the afternoon in the remaining outdoor part of the run (our house & run combination thing is inside the full run to keep the shelter the existing run provides for the food), then let them all have a ramble together before bedtime.

Got tied up in bathtime with my little one and slightly thrown by clocks changing - shot outside when it got dark to put them to bed, expecting to put Silkies in a cat box for the night, only to discover they'd put themselves all to bed together, and Silkies were snuggled up into a fluffy Orpington!

I've been keeping an eye on them yesterday and today, and although they're not fully part of the existing flock, and there's the odd peck in passing, I haven't seen any real squaring up, or feathers flying, which I'd expected. Not sure whether it's because the Silkies are quite young, small and probably seem rather harmless, and the big girls are all rather laid back anyway.

Absolutely not textbook or according to plan, but hoping they'll be ok, as it's all gone so well so far!

Is it always better to have an even number???

I have 5 but I think 6 is a better number - more rounded - more complete - rather like 8 or 10 - nothing to do with the one lovely Silkie that I saw when I went to buy two Hens for my nieces birthday!!!

I am on a day off tomorrow - should I go back to see if she is still there???

Claire

I think I have rumbling Morehens. Apparently it's not uncommon at this time of year.

I find myself reading about chicks and chickens increasingly. I've been reading about the different breeds, their temperaments and typical egg production.

I've been looking at the range and cost of new housing. Have you seen the Omlet Chicken Housing comparison chart? It's so useful!

I'm really happy with my 2 girls, and I haven't got time to monitor introductions, so until a change in circumstances forces the issue I will continue as I am. I'll just go and google "Wernlas" though.....

I think I have rumbling Morehens. Apparently it's not uncommon at this time of year.

I find myself reading about chicks and chickens increasingly. I've been reading about the different breeds, their temperaments and typical egg production.

I've been looking at the range and cost of new housing. Have you seen the Omlet Chicken Housing comparison chart? It's so useful!

I'm really happy with my 2 girls, and I haven't got time to monitor introductions, so until a change in circumstances forces the issue I will continue as I am. I'll just go and google "Wernlas" though.....

I've been Googling for some time. :oops:

Hi all, i dont know whats wrong with me, it may be a midlife crisis( 40th birthday in a few weeks :( ) but i have just been in the garden and thought maybe i could put an eglu and run alongside my present wir and cube and perhaps get a couple more ex bats.... I havent dared mention this to OH as i think he would have a breakdown but i thought if i get a bit of money for my birthday i could maybe look for a secondhand one??? Please talk me out of it i know its mad but i love the ex bats so much... Am i out of control?? :roll:

My youngest son is just home from uni, and his reaction to the scene from the kitchen window brought it home to me just how advanced my Morehens disease actually is.

When he left here in January we had 3 hybrids in a !gored!

He returned to the hybrids plus 2 Belgian d'Anvers in a (cube blue), 2 pekins in the !gored! , and we have 2 faverolles and a fizzle due to arrive later in the summer.

He says he will lock his bedroom door when he goes back to uni to prevent me from using the room as an intro coop....but I still have the other children's rooms :wink:

Have only read the first half of this thread and i am loving it :D There should be a health warning at the beginning because it's got me wondering :whistle: I have an eglu classic (raised) in a walk in run, over 80ft square ft for my 4 girls , would i be ok getting 2 more girls, hybrids, because they only sleep in the eglu and i have seen mentioned i could put a pet carrier for them to lay in if needed, not that they all lay. One day after Buttercup started laying Poppy stopped :roll: Waits with baited breath for the replies.

P.S. I peeked in the eglu this weekend after i had raised it on the platform and there looked to be lots of room, was very suprised actually.

Though you have a lovely large run, 6 sounds a bit of a squash in an Eglu Classic especially if you remember that in winter time they may be spending quite a bit of time in there. Also though a squash would be warm in winter, it might also get a bit hot in summer to have so many in there. :think: How about getting another 2nd hand Eglu for your run :?:

I should say, I am no expert on this. You might get more experienced answers if you put up a separate post about this away from the Morehens thread.

Thankyou for your reply, the run is along the side of the house that is overhung by trees so is very shaded almost woodland like. I was considering another eglu if funds allow but some of the posts i have read say the girls all sleep in one eglu, ignoring the other :doh: Just don't want to waste money on something that won't get used. :shock: