chestnutmare

please help me with my morehens disease!

Few pics...

A bit of free ranging this morning...

IMG_0565.jpg

Olive

IMG_0572.jpg

Is there anything for me?

IMG_0574.jpg

Oh..no..its Attila...look the other way..

IMG_0569.jpg

Lets ignore her and see if she goes away...

IMG_0573.jpg

Ginger taking her life in her own hands...

IMG_0570.jpg

The beast...

IMG_0567.jpg

The girls have been together all day today, I put some anti-peck spray on Olive, although to be fair she is now only getting a cursory peck now - mainly from the Hybrids oddly. I'm waiting for darkness with slight trepidation - hopefully they will go to bed and play nicely! I don't know that anyone will want to sit next to Olive as she stinks of the anti-peck spray! Blimey, does it ever smell!! :vom:

The new coop has arrived - it has lots of space and fits perfectly in the WIR. The two new girls are coming home on Monday - so hopefully Ginger wont be too bullying towards them...and there's still space in the new coop for a couple of ex-batts when the next batch are ready.... :lol::lol::lol:

Very exciting, your morehens disease is quite bad like mine. I have an incy arriving tomorrow :lol:

How's your new arrival?

Glad it's going well, Kalico. Lovely pictures. I bit the bullet and let my new four and old four out together today - they've been eyeing each other up for nearly a week now. Better than expected. Ena (old hybrid) has been flying at the new girls and pecking them, but there are plenty of places for them to escape to, and it's only happening occasionally (guess who's been watching from the kitchen window most of the afternoon, when I'm not out there with them??). The water pistol doesn't seem to put her off much!

I can't get too cross with Ena as she fought her way up to top hen from being bottom of the pile and thoroughly bullied when I got my first three.

Awww that's good that they are getting used to each other now...can't believe you've had them a week already!

I went out just at dark, all 6 girls had put themselves to bed together in the big coop, Ginger and Poppy popped out to say hello to me and then back in they went, no noise, no pecking, nothing.

I closed their door and hosed down the run and listened - but nothing - I feel sorry for them being in the coop near Olive who reeks of the anti-pecking spray - what a stench!

It's still very early days, but they seem to all respect Aggie and all defer to her which means she doesn't have to hurt them to make her point. I'm amazed how quickly and silently Ginger relinquished her top spot. :think:

Here's hoping tomorrow continues the same way!

They're looking good Wendy and you seem to be keeping an eye on them :D

When I couldn't be outside watching them today, I had them on camera - I was on high alert to rush out - water gun at the ready!!

I've just checked on them half an hour ago and aside from the smell of poor Olive, all 6 are together, cosied in.

Gawd, what a relief. I know things could still kick off, but as long as no one is being bullied and there is no bloodshed, then I think it will be ok.

Thank you again to everyone on here who is so helpful and full of advice.

FAB forum :dance:

Harmonious this morning, all 6 trooped out of the coop and went straight to the feeders, they seem to have realised that pecking Olive tastes revolting so just give her the odd shoddy look instead. Big Aggie doesn't peck/chase (clearly below her) she just pulls herself up to her full height and stares hard at whichever poor unsuspecting soul is either in her way/eating what she wants etc. The poor unsuspecting soul feeling old vulture eyes staring them beats a hasty retreat!!

I checked them all over today and nothing is amiss. I treated Poppy's pecked comb the other day with antiseptic then put healing gel on it - it looks fine now.

Well, after months of thinking and research I decided I wanted pure breeds and different coloured eggs, but discovered that my local suppliers only had bantams or hatching eggs. Ok, so I ask here about bantam eggs, get to the supplier... only to find that his website is not up to date and he only has standard size hybrids. Oh well, can't waste a journey:

(clickable thumbnails)

th_100_0463.jpgth_100_0452.jpgth_100_0465.jpgth_100_0468.jpgth_100_0460.jpg

I now have another white sussex hybrid, a copper maran hybrid, and a heritage skyline ( !eggblue! hopefully)

No names as yet.

P

It's funny isn't it? You have all these plans about how you are going to do something, when clearly animals just live for the moment and get on with it.

Peace once again reigns over the WIR - they are all happy just doing their thing - (keeping half an eye open for BIG Aggie) - with the exception of the one squabble between Poppy and Aggie that's been the extent of any trouble.

All my worrying....

I let them out this morning to have a bit of a FR - we have a particularly evil grey cat that hangs around - it regularly catches pheasants so I'm always on the look-out for her. This morning she must have been under the caravan and big Aggie obviously spotted her first - picture this...stalking cat...Big Aggie marches straight up then chases said cat, whilst the other 5 girls happily peck the grass..Aggie then stalks back head held high and gets back to eating! What a girl! She's very impressive (and a bit scary looking) when she does her 'look at me' thing!

I so LOVE having chooks :dance:

We've had a very exciting day here! The Beechgrove Garden TV programme visited today as we've made the shortlist to be on the programme - one of the presenters and one of the production team. The hens being typically nosey were all stood up on their perches having a good shout - maybe they'll get to be on tv?? :lol: