suzannejoy

Pics of todays exbats

They are darlings , already theres a boss funnily enough the baldest one ! They where all put to bed last night and then all had to be lifted out the bed this morning , they just wouldnt come out . nice present for me this morning 2 eggs . It was lovely to see there heads all pop up when the seagulls where flying over making a noise.

Awww bless, always brings a tear to my eye when I see some newly rescued batts. I know they say it doesn't take long for them to feather up, but it took our 4 girls about 6mths to look normal :shock:

Mine too! Had them in July last year and it wasn't 'til end of October they had a mega moult and started to look like proper chickens!

my daughter came over today and said the ex bats look alot more perkier , she hasnt seen them since saturday . so that was nice.. prob cause theyve eaten ! :think:

Three managed to come down the ramp this morning but only one managed to go to bed .I feel so sorry for them having to be picked up they are so scared .My others jump at me when I approach there door, whereas the exbats hurry away from me . Very sad but take a day at a time . Eggs are being laid all over the place so Im entering the run to get them as dont want to start any bad habbits .

I let the long timers out for abit of free ranging and placed some corn near the exbats run so they all eyed each other , One of the exbats whos the boss of the exbat crew ( still awaiting a name as my 17 year old has that job ) came running up to the run door I think in a manner of " Hang on theres more to sort out". :twisted:

Bouldercroft, when commercial hens reach 1yr and 2-5 mnths, they cant lay so many eggs. The farmers decide to kill the hens, as they cant produce so much. These hens are made into baby food, dog food, and some chicken pies :vom: . (also, male chicks are made into fertilisers...). When you 'rescue' hens, you save them from slaughter.

I got mine from Little Hen Rescue :)