HennyPenny

Good sore throat remedies please!

Have had a sore throat for months now - today went to hospital and had a laryngoscopy under general anaesthetic and they found nothing suspicious! Hooray I am sooooo relieved......BUT I still have a sore throat!! I know it's made worse by the procedure but now that I know it's nothing to worry about, I would really like to make it feel better so I'm asking you lovely Omleteers to suggest your favourite tried and trusted sore throat soothers please.

Also, I'm a primary teacher, so the doctor has recommended finding a voice coach to help me not to strain my vocal cords in future - anyone have any experience of this?

Thank you

Incidentally, Richard thinks the best solution is not to talk at all......fat chance!!

Glad to hear it's nothing sinister. Drink plenty of water, avoid raising your voice, and yes I think a speech therapist or voice coach might help. Never used one myself but my friend's son had something similar and this helped him.

The vocal coach is a great idea, one visited my son's school recently to lead a staff INSET session.

Avoid dairy products (including chocolate :( ) before and during a day's teaching. Drink water throughout the day but as many sips rather than a full glass at a time.

Try to avoid using throat sprays, they can mask a problem and in extreme cases can end up leaving you with permanent damage.

Enjoy the long Summer break, rest your voice as much as possible, and try warm-up exercises before you start each day when you're back in September.

Try to avoid extremes of temperature: going from a hot stuffy classroom to the chilly playground at break time then in again, make sure you wrap up warm and protect your throat.

In the classroom try to develop a different method of quieting a class rather than the usual technique of making more noise than them to get them to listen to you (I'm guilty of this :oops: )

Hope at least some of this helps, glad you got the ok from your doc :D

warm apple juice, honey, ginger and cinnamon together in a saucepan and drink. Enjoy, this I got out of a Liz Earle brochure a couple of years ago. Also, in the winter I drink mulled wine and the spices help from that. There is also a winter pimms too which is good. And there is a non alcoholic mulled wine which is good too, think I might have bought it from waitrose?? The homeopathic aconite is also very very helpful when you think you might be about to get a sore throat. Arnica pillules also help me as a remedy to recover from anything too. Hope you feel better soon.

I tend to go for live plain yoghurt and local honey. Mix the two together and eat very slowly so it coats the throat. Then don't eat or drink anything for half an hour..................works wonders for me. I discovered this cure when I had a sore throat that dragged on for ages ( even had the fibrascope down the throat, to find nothing sinister) the yoghurt/ honey combo taken 3 times a day worked wonders and it cleared up pretty quickly- and tasted much nicer than any medicine!

I suffer from tonsillitis all the time, got laryngitis last year and the Doctor advised to avoid alcohol and caffeine.

No tea or diet coke for me (am now slightly addicted to caffeine free d coke) :oops:

Honey is great if you can stomach it. Glad to hear it isn't anything bad (apart from the annoyance factor)!