Tiggy

fish pedicure

i never knew fish liked cheese :wink:

:lol:

Coincidentally I was talking about this with my hairdresser last night. She said she tried it on holiday and her feet felt really soft afterwards, and it's fine so long as you switch off from what's actually happening. Her daughter really freaked out.

I was interested because a place near me has started doing it, but I'm also a bit worried about hygiene - and the cruelty to fish involved in foisting my feet on them

I believe this has been banned in some states in America due to hygiene issues :?

I posted a link on facebook to a new place that has opened where I live and someone I know over in the USA posted that it's been banned there, now I know why.

Not sure I like the idea of it and it does seem cruel to the fish. My OH asked how do they know the fish are hungry and want to munch on people's feet :shock:

I did it 8) the place at Merryhill is spotless, individual chairs with a foot tank and one each side for your hands the water continuously flows through a UV filter, the fish look healthy and lively. They are called doctor fish because in Asia where they normally are found they are used to treat necrotic wounds - incidentally we still use maggots here to do the same thing :vom:

They are scavengers and normally feed on dead scales and skin and are related to piranas but have no teeth. My feet feel beter than they have for a long time, I definately do it again

Interesting reading this thread. It clearly doesn't appeal to everyone and I am a bit funny when it comes to feet! Glad to hear it worked well for you. Do they suggest how long you should leave it before going again?

no I didnt get any info from the young ladies looking after the place, there is a nail bar too and mostly thats what they do. i suppose you go as often as you feel you need to

Interesting reading this thread. It clearly doesn't appeal to everyone and I am a bit funny when it comes to feet! Glad to hear it worked well for you. Do they suggest how long you should leave it before going again?

no I didnt get any info from the young ladies looking after the place, there is a nail bar too and mostly thats what they do. i suppose you go as often as you feel you need to

Nail bars, now you are talking.

I am 56 and have never had my nails done or anything else. Only thing I have done professionally on the beauty front is a hair cut and highlights. However a new nail bar opened in our local mall a couple of months ago so last night I took the plunge and walked in and asked for my first ever manicure. I enjoyed it so much I also had my eyebrows threaded and also had some waxing done. Came to £22 which I thought was quite good :D

the other point about this fish/feet thing is- what happens when this fad dies out, doesn't that mean hundeds of thousands of fish being killed?

ooh I dont know, I dont supose they live very long anyway, they are very small :!:

after facial trauma surgeons use leeches to bring the bleeding under control and reduce swelling, I think they are err 'disposed' of straight afterwards, but somehow the thought of leeches isnt so nice as little fishes. Or the maggots that are used to clean up wounds that are full of dead tissue :vom:

the other point about this fish/feet thing is- what happens when this fad dies out, doesn't that mean hundeds of thousands of fish being killed?

ooh I dont know, I dont supose they live very long anyway, they are very small :!:

after facial trauma surgeons use leeches to bring the bleeding under control and reduce swelling, I think they are err 'disposed' of straight afterwards, but somehow the thought of leeches isnt so nice as little fishes. Or the maggots that are used to clean up wounds that are full of dead tissue :vom:

A place near me got some about 3 weeks ago....they are all dead now :shock: ...goodness knows what killed them. I suppose it depends on how well they are maintained as to their lifespan :wink:

I would not try it as the hygiene issue really puts me off. I have seen a lot of people's feet in my time and I would not wish to share the same water with some of them :vom:

I did it 8) the place at Merryhill is spotless, individual chairs with a foot tank and one each side for your hands the water continuously flows through a UV filter, the fish look healthy and lively. They are called doctor fish because in Asia where they normally are found they are used to treat necrotic wounds - incidentally we still use maggots here to do the same thing :vom:

They are scavengers and normally feed on dead scales and skin and are related to piranas but have no teeth. My feet feel beter than they have for a long time, I definately do it again

I've had a similar experience, and been twice so far :D . They clean your feet for you before they allow you in the pools, and you can't go in with any open wounds or varuccas, or certain foot creams that may harm the fish.

I think it is a marmite treatment......... love or hate :lol: . Personally I love it, and my feet are so soft afterwards. I hate it in a normal pedicure when they file away at your feet, it makes me :vom: , but I love having the fish tickle my feet. Even after I get out of the tank my feet stay tingling for about an hour :shock: , it's amazing :D

I was chatting to our local hairdresser the other day. They have a tank in their shop. She was saying that there is a definite art to keeping them and that it is easy to make mistakes. As with any fish, you do have to spend a bit of time learning about them and how to best care for them. She told me of her first error in combining two seperate tanks of fish into one. They are territorial and ate each other!!! They are from Indonesia and quite expensive to replace so it is in the shop's interests to look after them well. She also said they can grow quite big and the bigger they are, the harder they suck :? They are not 'disposed' of, they are kept until they die of old age (or eat each other). I also asked if they need to be kept hungry in order to do a decent pedicure, but she said they are always hungry, no matter how much you feed them! :lol: I'm still not convinced enough to try it! :D