BrightonSteve

Tonics/Poultry spice

I want to give our girls a boost as the weather gets colder and have tried using apple cider vinegar (the poultry version, not the culinary one) but even at a lower than suggested dose they just stop drinking the water.

Am wondering whether to try poultry spice instead - is it a suitable tonic? Or are there other ways of getting the girls to drink a tonic?

I've had the same problem in the past with my girls refusing to drink water that has tonic in it (although they seem to be quite happy with the Lifeguard I'm giving them at the moment :? ). An alternative is to feed ex batt pellets/crumb over winter. It's perfectly fine to feed this to non-ex-batt hens, the difference is that there are added vitamins and minerals to support refeathering etc so it's actually really good for hens that are moulting.

Mine are doing great on Lifeguard - it's like a wonder drink!

I made Chicken porage on Saturday for the first time (doesn't it stink :vom: ) but put Poultry Spice in it. There was a bit left in the corner of one of the feeders and the Ex Batts were mad for it :lol: They all loved it - if only kids were as easy to feed :wall:

Hi

I give mine Poultry Spice in the winter, put a drop of cod liver oil in first then the spice sticks to the pellets and they absolutely love it.

I do give them the poultry drink occasionally as well and haven;t noticed that they haven't drunk it although they FR all day and have separate drinkers out. But will drink anything, drips from outside tap etc and any puddles.

I was going to post a thread on this subject, so as this is relevant can I ask a quick Q on the subject of Poultry Spice Dosage?

The instructions state a teaspoon on daily food for 10 hens. Not sure why they state 10 hens as few of us actually have 10 chickens and I have only have 3. So I sprinkle half a teaspoon in their food every other day or so. If I put half a teaspoon every day (as suggested) it would be too concentrated. So, so that I get the proportions / doseage correct, how do you measure it out?

ps - my girls drank the ACV - but lifeguard seems to be te popular choice which I might try.