Space Chick

A year of lows.. Hopefully now a high- PHOTOS ADDED

We have had an awful year this year with our four legged friends.

In July, we lost our very much loved terrier, Henry, aged 16 to kidney disease. He had a good life and played like a pup until the end.

Then on Friday, we took our 10 year old cat Thomas to the vet, as he had been off his food, and seemed the have lost a dramatic amount of weight over a couple of weeks... Blood tests showed cancer markers, a scan showed a mass, surgery showed he had cancer in his kidneys, bowels and stomach... We made the kindest decision not to wake him from his operation :cry:

I spent all Saturday sobbing my heart out, whilst I love "the girls" the thought of losing both indoor pets and not having anyone in the house was almost as unbearable as the grief of losing my boys so close together.

Sunday morning, OH and I got up and both realised that a house could only be a home with pets in it.... And even though it was ridiculously soon, we decided we needed to take action. So we went to our local rescue centre, where we fell in love with 2 cats... A mother and son that had had a tough start to life, needed to be rehomed from their first home due to the person losing their house, they went into the rescue centre, they found a home but didn't get on with the other resident cats so moved outside, the owners decided this wasn't fair so back to the centre they went :( They have been there since August and are only nearly 3 and 18 months old :(

We met them and sat down in the pen, and Harry (the boy) instantly jumped on OHs lap for a fuss 8) Mum was a little more nervous but was happy to be stroked and let me pick her up for a cuddle.

Tomorrow we have a home visit.... Which I am ridiculously nervous about, but providing it goes well, they will be ours :D

They will never replace my darling boys I loved, but they need our love and we need theirs.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed for us.

Edited by Guest

What a heart-warming story.

I'm so sorry for your loss of your two boys. Nothing will replace them but you will always have fond memories of them.

And now you've hopefully found two other babies who need you just as much.

If it doesn't feel too soon for you, then it's not too soon.

Hope everything goes well with your home visit and that they're home with you very soon.

Aww so sorry to hear about your boys, but this is fantastic news! Nothing heals the pain better than getting new pets as soon as possible!

When we l our first cat died, we left it far too long before getting Orchid. Although we only had Orchid a very short time, we decided to then go straight out & get a kitten. The best thing we ever did! We both love Poppy to bits!

Enjoy your new pets. I'm sure they will be spoiled!

Emma.x

I'm so sorry, what a year you've had. I think you just have to go with how you're feeling when you decide when to get a lovely new pet for the home. Sometimes its quick and sometimes its longer.

I can't wait to see photos of your new cats, they sound lovely - and of course you passed the test! Never in any doubt! :D

YAY! That's brilliant news, Debs....I so agree that a house isn't a home without pets...and you'll remember how soon after Theo was run over I HAD to start hunting for a kitten. Still miss Theo, but Figaro is a sweetheart who has curled up in the hole Theo left...

I'm so glad your family will be back to the right size very soon.

Happy hugs :D

Harry and Sabrina are now home :D:dance:

We arrived home just under half an hour ago, but as yet they are still too nervous to venture out of the cat carrier. :wink: I'm going to leave them do it in their own time, they were in the cattery for 5 months, so hardly surprising that they are a bit daunted right now.

Photos will follow in time, but my babies are here :D

They are amazing me :D they have settled in sooooo quickly :dance:

Since my original post I found out more about their background... They have had a tough time, they were very neglected in their last home, also Sabrina will be 3 in January, but Harry is older than we thought.. He turned 2 last month... So poor Sabs was only 10 and a half months old when she had her kittens :shock: probably explains why she's such a small girl.

Sabs is very much the boss though, she's put "the boy" in his place several times today :lol: