The Dogmother

Calling all those in the New Forest - dog stolen *UPDATE*

I know this should be in the other animals section, but it's urgent and I figured that it'd get more traffic here....

A friend who lives near the New Forest has had her lurcher stolen while walking there. It was seen being led off into a van by two men; as you can imagine, she is beside herself with worry.

This is the poster on DogLost, please can you make everyone in the area aware so that he becomes too hot to handle and is dumped again for her to find. The police etc are all aware and searching as are his family.

35072_a.jpg

35072_b.jpg

Many thanks, and let's hope that he turns up soon

I hesitate to cast nasturtiums, but lurchers like she and I have are highly prized in certain circles as hunting dogs; they are usually stolen from gardens and cars, hunted until they drop and then dumped - this is what happened to my rescue lad in Ireland. If they can't/won't hunt or can't be bred from then they will be dumped - usually from a car/van as it drives along, some sustain serious injuries from this.

By making him 'hot property' we're hoping that he will be dumped and found again, or even turned in, as he will be too easily recognised to take out anywhere.

He is tattooed and chipped so easily verified if he does turn up.

Yes, I will do, I will take a batch out with me in the morning.

Don't know if you already know but if any dogs handed in to any vet in the Southampton area (on the edge of the forest so could end up here) the policy is to let Warren Avenue Kennels know, telephone 02380 0065. The dog warden is called Paula Davies and she is really helpful. Know it sounds dreadful but the number to check if a dog has been found knocked down on the roads is a council number - 023 8083 3605.

Not sure of the number for the New Forest Dog Warden but apparently if their kennel is full then it is not unknown for a New Forest dog to go to Warren Avenue Kennels. I think Dog Lost gives all this info out anyway but thought I would put it just in case.

No real solid news yet, although her OH was out looking for Oz and happened upon and van and two men which fitted the description given by the rider who saw Oz with two men. These men/van were apparently stealing some chairs :shock::roll: so he phoned a description and licence plate in to the police. Hopefully they might be linked.

OMG that poor family, i can only imagine how they must be feeling. I have heard that dognapping is getting more and more common. I am almost paranoid about it and never leave my dog alone in the car or outside shops, but to have your dog stolen whilst on a walk is horrendous.

I really hope they hear something soon and get their beloved pet back soon. I will keep eyes and ears open even though i live nowhere near the New Forest as you just never know where he will end up.

Keeping everything crossed for them :pray:

You're right Sandie, dog stealing is on the increase and especially amongst hunting dogs like lurchers. They can be stolen to work, stolen to order or for the reward. These dogs can end up all over the country as they are traded and handed on from one community to the next.

Usually when dog like this, which is chipped and tattooed, is stolen it is held fro a while then a reward is asked for. He is neutered, so useless for breeding and will be slightly slower on the hunting/racing front than a full male.

Thanks for helping - any exposure on facebook and others will help.

Oh goodness, what an awful thing to have happened. What horrid people to take someone else's beloved dog. Both the owners and dog must be so distressed.

I have heard that dognapping is getting more and more common.

A dog walker I met a few weeks ago was telling me that there have been a number of dog thefts in our area recently :( I believe it has been mostly working type dogs. Do you think a lurcher could have been stolen for hare coursing? I know the police have been on the lookout in the villages and countryside around here for people hare coursing in recent weeks.

I do hope the dog is returned safe and well to its family.

That's exactly what they are stolen for - they are either worked or bred, handed around all over the country and then dumped when they are useless. I have fostered lurchers in the past and have been followed before now by 'sorts', usually in vans, either wanting to buy the dogs, or to know what they're like after prey. I NEVER go straight home, but drop in somewhere else and always report it to the police. For their information; Ruby is half blind and Cyrus suffers from seizures.

Cyrus is a rescue from Ireland and originally came from a similar situation after he was thrown from a moving van and found running along a dual carriageway :roll:

Other breeds are also being snatched now for use as bait dogs when certain types of dogs are trained for fighting :twisted: