The Dogmother

Calling all those in the New Forest - dog stolen *UPDATE*

An update from Fran:

Of all times Internet won't connect so I'm on my phone.

After giving the brilliant news of Oz's safe return, I'm afraid to disappoint with the story behind it all!!!

Sorry for any that have been intrigued but it was literally a case of a message being received regarding oz and a phone call made in return to discuss the next step. Arrangements were put in place and obviously things turned out in the best way possible. He was 30 miles from where he went from, he was in Southampton.

Were the people involved from a "particular community?" To be honest I don't think so but certainly not people I'd be comfortable to be around. Were the circumstances odd? Yes. Was he being hidden? I very much believe so and think these people wanted to gain something monetary for him but realised he was worthless to them. They didn't want any money for him though. His howling was really getting on their nerves. Shame. Not. Were they opportunists? Yes, I'd say so.

I'd never ever ever wish my past couple of days on anyone. If people think I have been strong, far from it. Wednesday night I was literally screaming, yelling and crying so much I couldn't breathe.

I can't thank people enough for their help, suggestions and support. Thank you isn't enough, far from it. As it's been said, the sense of community, particularly in an online environment is amazing. The Lurcher world is a tight knit place that I'm proud to be part of.

Least Christmas is back on the agenda now! Coulnt care in the slightest about it for the past few days! Speaking of that, need to get all of them their presents.

Time to move on and put the whole shocking thing behind us.

Thank you all again

Fran

But, at the end of it all my fabulous, gorgeous cheeky lad is where he belongs, albeit not himself.... Yet.

Like our chicken forum, the lurcher community has one too - as full of different characters as this one; it was lovely to see how everyone pulled together to get the word out there and pull on all our contacts and links to get him found. It's a worry for all of us...very much a case of 'there but for the grace...', none of our dogs are the expensive sort, most of them are rescues, but they really have a way with our hearts, very much like ex-batts I guess :D

Oh DM you've no idea how relieved and happy i am to read this, ive been working since Thurs so have only just caught up but Ozzie was never far from my thoughts, to come back and read he is home safe and sound and in front of the fire where he belongs just makes my heart burst.

Im so so so happy now! :D

The only blight to it all is that people like the so and so's who took him are still around! :twisted:

It seems that Oz is recovering - he has a slight limp but is otherwise physically OK now that he has had plenty to eat and drink (his mum thinks that he was starved and certainly had very little water as he was very thirsty and had 'strong pee').

He is very reserved still and has become a bad traveller - no doubt due to being shoved into a strange van. :evil:

Here are some lovely pictures of him enjoying being back home after a long run on the beach with his sister.

005-2.jpg

019-4.jpg

One of him and his sister Willow from before

024.jpg

He really is a handsome lad 8)

I know that we're all pretty responsible pet owners on here, but please all make sure that your dogs are tagged and chipped, or even tattooed for ID. Our local council also runs a dog ID registration which is free - each of mine is registered and has a tag with an unique number on. If they are picked up straying (which wouldn't happen but you never know...) this means that the council can ID them via the number and photo which they have on record. This way, the dog would avoid being stuck in a pound and would come straight home.

I don't personally like having dogs ears tattooed but have had several foster greyhounds which had them. I know of someone who does it if anyone on here wants a contact.

Awww such beautiful photos, I particularly like the second one :lol: I love photos that really capture dogs' characters.

So pleased to hear that Oz is more or less physically fine, but it's shocking how in just 2/3 days a dog can really lose condition - and also pick up mental scars too.

I really hope he gets over his trauma with some time and lots of TLC.

.......but it's shocking how in just 2/3 days a dog can really lose condition - and also pick up mental scars too.

I really hope he gets over his trauma with some time and lots of TLC.

Lurchers and other sighthounds have very little body fat, so can go downhill more quickly than other breeds/types. Other than that they are pretty hardy, but desperately attached to their humans.