bungle

Poorly Cockerel

Stuart is a 6 month old Cockerel, when I went down this morning he can't stand up an is laid on one side - his wing he is laid on feels really hard and he isn't moving it. I have put him in the house away from the others laid on straw with food and water. Can anyone help??

Stuart is a frizzle / silkie mix absolutely beautiful, yesterday we put him in the garden he managed to stand up and went for a little walk around but he is off balance and keeps falling on his side or nose diving, his wings seem to be losing feathers. Yesterday I washed him and dried him and have continued to give him water and vitamins in a syringe. Still no idea if anyone can help?.

I'm afraid this sounds like it could be mareks, which I'm sad to say is virtually incurable. It typically starts with paralysis in a wing, and will spread to the leg and foot. Unfortunately silkies are one of the breeds which are more prone to it - its a virus spread via feather dander. The definitive diagnosis is via a post-mortem, although I understand that 2 blood tests could also be taken, although still there isn't a cure and it is highly unusual for birds to recover. Its a nasty disease, which gets progressively worse as internal tumours also grow which means the bird not only loses mobility but it also gradually loses the ability to eat/drink. I have also read, but not experienced myself, that birds can lose feathers :(

I assume you've checked him over for any leg sprain type injuries (swelling/heat) or bruising, hard to see I know, and for ear mites/blockages? Otherwise, as your lad isn't getting any better, I'm afraid its a trip to the vet for a professional diagnosis and treatment/PTS, or culling. In the meantime, keep him warm and fed/hydrated as best you can.

Well I can hazard a guess that they are as the symptoms are so pervasive, both inside and out :(

I think the worst thing is that they will eventually starve/dehydrate to death. The whole disease is a horrible thing to see, and obviously much worse for the chook. With no realistic prospect of a good outcome, personally I'd be preparing myself to take cull/vet PTS action, very sad though it is.

Probably for the best - Mareks can be a slow progression or quite aggressive; I had a hen with it once and she went downhill very quickly so I despatched her before she got too bad.

It is a herpes virus which is dormant in the nerve endings and usually 'comes out' when the bird is otherwise poorly or very stressed, moulting can also trigger it. I am very sorry fro you, but there's really nothing that you can do if that's what he has.

I have tried nutri-drops and other vitamins to build his strength over the last week. Unfortunately when I got home last night he was getting cold and couldn't stand so he is now in the garden pushing up the daisy's. :( We are going to get another Cockerel over the next few weeks as you get used to them in the morning and the girls are missing him.