sadietoo Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 From France, those chewy sweeties for the kids even though they aren't any more and we used to bring back liptonic, which was lovely iced tea that you can't buy here......lots of wine I once was asked to bring back tinned brussel sprouts for a colleague at work...now I love a brussel sprout and my daughter once told an amazed teacher that htey were her favourite vegetable but even we didn't fancy those From Spain I loved those salted almonds, and we also brought back some fabulous unfiltered Olive Oil . In the past we have been tempted to bring back some local liquer or aperitif, but tbh, they just don't taste the same without the sunshine and scenery ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 My ES takes a jar of marmite wherever he travels. He lost a jar in an earthquake. Apparently most people think it's horrible. A German friend of his visited us and did not like HP sauce. She smiled politely but her face didn't look happy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 I always buy capers in Italy (and mushroom stock cubes/dried mushrooms too)! In Germany I get chocolate, gravy powders, bread, a meat and gherkin salad (don't look at me like that, I'm not preggers - but it is delish). Oh, and remoulade which is a tube of herby mayo for sandwiches. In Denmark, the fried crispy onions for burgers, salad and to add to gravy. Plus pepperkakor (sp) biscuits, beetroot salad and burger sauce with is like mayo, but so much nicer. Will have to look out for dried Spaetzle and see what they are like...... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AJuff Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 Maple syrup cookies from Canada and Hershey's kisses from America! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted February 18, 2012 Share Posted February 18, 2012 Graham crackers and Lifesavers from USA. ALso marshmallow peeps = they have them for all occasions!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted February 18, 2012 Share Posted February 18, 2012 Bisquik baking mix from america, anyone going I've nearly run out and if anyone is going.......Cinnamon Tic-Tacs...pleeeeeease! I'm down to my last two packs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 18, 2012 Share Posted February 18, 2012 I buy both Bisquix and cinnamon tic tacs (I am quite addicted) from Cybercandy. The daughter has also discovered The American Candy Store in Guildford,which is amazing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted February 19, 2012 Share Posted February 19, 2012 Metaxa 3 star from Greece,plus dried herbs & spices.. Couldn't agree more - Greek Kebab and Stifado spices are great, and I prefer the (pleasingly cheaper) Metaxa 3 star to the 5 star/7 star types. The 5 star tastes pretty much the same as 3 star but as it's kept in a brandy barrel for longer it loses the nice floral wine 'nose'... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted February 19, 2012 Share Posted February 19, 2012 I buy both Bisquix and cinnamon tic tacs (I am quite addicted) from Cybercandy. The daughter has also discovered The American Candy Store in Guildford,which is amazing. Thank you, I'll go and have a look....... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 22, 2012 Share Posted February 22, 2012 So, himself is off on his snowboarding jaunt on Sunday,to Switzerland this year. What should I get him to bring back? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted February 22, 2012 Share Posted February 22, 2012 Chocolate!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted February 22, 2012 Share Posted February 22, 2012 The only proper food we ever brought back from the US was Mickey Mouse pasta for our neighbour as her daughter was very young. I did have some Big Red chewing gum from Florida - but I had a huge pack of that from DD this Christmas also from Cybercandy, so no need to travel for it. DD loves something called Jumpies (I think) which are cheesy flavoured kangaroo shaped things - bit like Cheddars - that you can get in Germany, so OH brought some home with him after a business trip last month. I like the Neideregger marzipan - also German (I don't like marzipan but that I do love), but Waitrose does it so its easy to get if I get a craving. Again that was brought over as a gift as I've never been to Germany. Then every time my cuz comes over from Canada she brings a huge tin or bottle of maple syrup. The only thing I've bought back in mega bulk from the US is fabric - yards and yards and yards (and I don't put on weight with that funnily enough). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 Chocolate!! Meh,not that keen Was hoping for something a bit more unusual (or alcoholic!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 On the same sort of topic - Snowy do you really like that cheese from Norway, I can't quite make out the icon? If so, you are the only person I know who does For anyone unfamiliar with it, it looks like fudge, but it tastes like ....er....indescribable..... I will happily send any which comes my way to you! On a much happier note for me, Feta flavoured crisps - I didn't know they did those, yum yum It is a very strange taste isn't it? I always think it tastes of condensed milk! The Norwegians slice it thinly, wrap it around a sugar cube and dunk it in coffee! It's delicious with jam on scones or toast though You do have to forget about eating it as a savoury item. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 I know that stuff - its amazing! A little goes a long,long way though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 Chocolate!! Meh,not that keen Was hoping for something a bit more unusual (or alcoholic!) la raclette cheese Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 Now you are talking (we do sell it at work though ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 I don't really go abroad, but when my sister kept having to go to Philidelphia for work we always requested the peanut butter or almond M&Ms, plus Reese's Peanut butter cups! When I'm in the UK I always make sure to find proper Hawes Wendsleydale when I'm that way, as it's really hard to get hold of, especially in all the other yummy varieties they do-eg not normal, cranberry or Apricot. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 Ooooh, Peanut butter M&M's. Need to find a stockist in the UK..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 I am sure Cyber Candy will do them! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted February 23, 2012 Share Posted February 23, 2012 noooooooooooooo! Boxes of 24! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted February 24, 2012 Share Posted February 24, 2012 I thought they'd stopped making them as they were poisoning people! - I love them but daren't buy them as 24 packs would only last a couple of days Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted February 24, 2012 Share Posted February 24, 2012 I thought they'd stopped making them as they were poisoning people! - I love them but daren't buy them as 24 packs would only last a couple of days Agreed! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted April 24, 2012 Share Posted April 24, 2012 I always bring back dried spaetzle from France or Germany. We absolutely love the stuff but can't get it in the UK and have not succeeded in making it ourselves even though a friend from Strasbourg bought us a spaetzle maker. Snap CM They have packs of Spaetzle in Lidl at the moment Bought 24 packs and got some very funny looks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted April 24, 2012 Share Posted April 24, 2012 thanks CM, will have to go on a scouting mission Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...