Goosey Lucy

Shop ideas

If you had the opportunity of taking over a rather dated wool/basic sewing supplies shop, would you do it? What would you stock? You would be supplying a wide range of customers from trendy knitters and crocheters to the more traditional.

A friend has mentioned this as a possibility and I'm all of a dither.

Wow - sounds like fun!

I don't know what I would stock, but I would try and run 'tutorials' or 'knitting mornings' or something like that - to encourage customers to try different things. You could probably find a local experienced knitter/crochet/sewer to do them for you.

There's a quilting/patchwork shop near me, they only stock stuff for quilting which is a bit limiting sometimes, but they regularly run Saturday workshops on different things, and they are always very helpful if you are unsure about something. I'd encourage people to browse - maybe even offer coffee if the place is big enough?

WOW what a lovely opportunity - bar all the obvious financial /business plan things to consider, customer base, competition, shop only or online or both. The stock question is difficult it would depend on the age/type of customer/depth of customers’ pockets. It would go from one end of the scale ie customers who are just after inexpensive acrylic (don't get me wrong am a huge fan of Stylecraft Special DK) to the midrange the Debbie Bliss or Rowan to the more speciality Manos del Uruguay or Natural Dye Studios. Perhaps there’s a local IoM yarn producer/spinner that you could get on board. What other similar business are available locally what do they offer?

Perhaps have a look on Ravelry and see if there are any threads on what people want to see in their LYS (local yarn shop). Look on Ravelry to see if there are any Ravelry group in IoM and see what they say

You could offer workshops; knitting crochet sewing spinning felting

Good luck -its something I would love to do

yes!!!

I wouldnt do a knitting/crochet morning, though, I would do an evening (for worky types :D )

I would also do something at the local school, maybe a group for them, cos children encourage their parents to buy stuff :lol:

and get local yarn suppliers on board, maybe for supplying yarn, or fleece for spinning, or something :D

wow, how exciting :D

cathy

x

I'm dithering because of the time involved. I'd really prefer it to be a joint venture so have to think if there's anyone who would do it with me. There's a need for that sort of shop at this end of the island, otherwise you have to go to Douglas or further and even then the range seems quite limited.

I don't know the first thing about business but I am good with figures and enjoy book-keeping :oops:, nearly trained to be an accountant but went into teaching instead.

I think my main concerns are the impact it might have on my family, my boys are 8 and 12, OH works away from home a lot.

You lot have come up with some brilliant ideas already, thank you. :clap:

Running your own business is incredibly time consuming - we started (in a very different industry) about 6 months ago and seem to have spent 99% of our time here since then. Having a shop would mean definitive opening hours etc and if your children are 8 and 12 i'd say having a joint venture would probably be the best idea as then you aren't the one solely committed to it. I do all of our bookkeeping, website, newsletter and general office stuff and although the last 6 months have been a steep learning curve there is something incredibly satisfying knowing that everything you are doing is for yourself and your family and not for someone else. I think from what you have said that you're thinking along the right lines. Put a good business plan together - so think about your target market, competitors in the local area etc. If you would need a small business loan or anything like that for initial set up and stock purchases it might be worth seeing one of your local bank branches and sounding them out first as well. If you have the support of friends and family then go for it (they will br crucial), its amazing what you can do if you want to. Very exciting! :D

Lucky you. If it was me I would start with the craft's I'm interested in. You could give expert advice and have knowledge of the products then start branching out as people show an interest :?

Actually if it was me I'd probably stock up with loads and never open the door but play. I don't think you'd get a lot of time to do that if you have a successful business. Lots of good advice from previous posters :D

If you can get someone to share the business that would be a good idea. You need to be there for your boys, particularly as they are heading towards the teenage years :roll: I think the idea of a workshop perhaps on the occasional Saturday would get the customers in. Perhaps even a junior night for basic sewing/knitting to get youngsters interested. I went to a local shop one Saturday to learn to crochet. It was lovely we had coffee and lunch there and of course we all bought the items mentioned in the class :) I think if you watched what Kirstie etc were making that would help you with what is popular. I started needle felting because of her and am hoping to get more wool at the hobby craft fair soon. For crafts like that starter kits would be ideal :D

We are self employed, and have been for 18 yrs now( :shock: ), time flies.

My kids are born into it, and we all muck in, it is very time consuming, but a way of life and we love it. Go steady at the start, be gentle and kind to yr customers, give good service, ask for help, apply for any grants (there will be some, ask about), and jump on in.

I'd love to do it, our local one does wool/needlwork/ cloth, thread etc,and curtain material to order, a few fancy bits , buttons , haberdashery, things needlework related that would make good presents, and is now getting into some rather trendy threads for down here, as there is a call for them, they prob dont make much on the thread, but do on the other stuff the customer buys once they've stepped through the door!!

One of their customers is teaching basic goldwork at the shop in evening, (I think she gets free threadin return), and the shop gets some fresh business!

They do have a garment or two made up next to the wool used for it as a honeytrap!!

I would love to do something like that. What an opportunity! I would think it through a lot though. A good thing you having a financial head on you as no matter how crafty an enterprise, money is the important bit. If your kids to can make it to the shop after school, then that might be a good idea for a short while. I love the idea of stitch and natter sessions, especially in the evening. Maybe a leaflet drop would be a good idea first to see if there is a want for such a shop in the area, and what other things people would want from it. Good luck and I really look forward to hearing how it develops

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm still in a tizz. Heart says yes but head says no. There is a definite need for a good wool shop up here, I would also love to do stitch and chat sessions too.

I need to talk to OH before I do anything though.

I've looked on Ravelry and can't find any IOM groups but I know there is a thriving Spinners and Weavers Guild.

Thanks again,

Lucy x

I would definitley involve the Spinners and Weavers Guild, and also the WI if there is one? - an outlet for local wools should appeal to quite a few. Saturday or evening meetings and tutorials sound good. Felt making is really popular at the moment so you could include that.

Lots of good ideas from everyone - I hope you go with your heart!

Workshops definitely & a knit & natter group. Plus allow people to feel comfortable just browsing. Choosing yarn for a project takes a lot of time & customers do have to squoosh it! Have a range to suit all budgets & ages. Not everyone wants tweed or pure top priced wool. Study trends & foreign suppliers. A lot of the trends are from Italian & Spanish yarn companies! Supply as many tools as possible - needles, bags, crochet hooks, felting materials, fleece, roving, buttons, sewing machines, fabrics, patterns, books etc. Have some samples & ideas made up to suit all abilities. It's handy if they have labels attached saying how many balls of wool it took, size of needles used & how much it would cost to make. Things made from one or two balls are appealing. Everyone wants a quick make for a gift!!! Have a bargain bucket - everyone likes a bargain - but will often spend on other things too whilst mooching through the bargains.

A snazzy, snappy to the point name. As well as business premises - you must also have a website, do mail order & have an ebay shop!!!

Advertise in local papers etc. Have an open day!

I wish you all the luck in the world with your venture & if you go for it - you can count me in as a customer! :D

Emma.x