munkee1965

Kindle or Paper?

I got a Kindle for Christmas and love it. I've always liked to read but do seem to be reading more since getting it.

I love the Daily Deals offered by Amazon and have read books that I wouldn't normally have chosen. So the question is.... Kindle or Paper.....which do you prefer??

I still like the idea of traditional paper books ....but I love my Kindle!! I am an avid (and speedy) reader and feel a bit lost if I don't have a book on the go. In the days pre-Kindle there were always loads of books kicking around the house either waiting to be read / passed on / charity shopped etc. I definitely don't miss the clutter! :lol:

I was lucky enough to get an IPad for my birthday and since getting it I've not stopped reading. As it's backlit I can read during my insomniac moments without turning on the light and therefore waking up hubby. :dance:

I used to read a book every few days on my commute but when I had DD and started working from home I just didn't get a chance to read anything other than children's books. I now read again instead of watching t.v (except for the Hairy Bikers Grand Designs and Escape to the country) much more relaxing. So although i miss the feel of holding a book and the smell of new ink the ease of buying books online and so many good free books mean it's tech over paper for me.

BIG Kindle fan here - I have just taken delivery of my 4th one in fact (I don't have 4 - I have had 1 break & like to keep up with the latest models)

My first one was an American import,as they were not on sale to the UK then.

Just before Christmas I got rid of 80% of my vast paperback collection to charity shops,keeping only what I could not bear to lose & what I thought my daughters would read one day.

I love having all of my books with me all the time & although I do not keep my Kindle on me when I am out,if I fancy a Costa & a read,I can do that via my Android Kindle app,which is brilliant.

I am posting Colin,my old Kindle, to my daughter today,as she is a Uni student studying Literature & struggles hefting books around. I think Kindles are an essential now & believe me,I never thought I would prefer something to ink & paper :P

I'd forgotten about the work element of them! I have downloaded all the health and safety legislation and department of health and NICE guidelines in pdf format to my Kindle, so even if I am working where there is no internet connection, I can access the relevant information (or just sit and revise if it's a slow work day :lol: ) I've noticed some of the nursing text books are also now being produced in electronic format - although I haven't bought any yet as although the Kindle editions are cheaper, they are still ridiculously expensive :roll:

Love my Kindle too. Especially when I use the cover with the light so OH isn't moaning at me to turn the light off at bed time! I still have LOADS of books that I can't bear to part with and often buy books from charity shops or borrow books from the library.

I have downloaded several free books from Kindle and some of them are rubbish! :lol: I started a very odd, very violent and gory book about vampires. I was determined to finish it as I had started but I won't be reading any more from the same author!

Also have several daily deal books to read. They can be quite good and so easy to order with one click. Oooops, I just bought some more books when my finger slipped onto the enter button! :lol::wink:

:anxious:paper :anxious:

Me too :lol:

I used to be an avid and speedy reader, but now only really get time to read when I go on holiday so I just request the books I want from the library, I can get through 4-5 books in a week easily. I guess that if I still had time to read or was commuting then I'd get a kindle.

I bought a Kindle about a year ago, downloaded some free books, and used it occasionally.

I found that whenever I wanted to buy a book, it was always significantly more for the Kindle than for a paperback, and I wouldn't justify spending the extra (even though I understand about the VAT etc). Also, the books that I wanted at the time were parts of huge series where I already had the rest of the set (Terry Pratchett, Jasper Fforde, Bernard Cornwell etc), and I couldn't imagine not having the full set on my bookshelves.

Then I bought the Game of Thrones book. It would have been a monster to hold as a paperback, so I bought it for the Kindle. I read it really quickly, and bought the next in the series, loving the fact that I could request it one minute and be reading it the next. I then devoured the entire series, one after the other. My Kindle was always with me, so that I could snatch a bite out of it at every opportunity.

When I read the last one in the series, I picked up my paperback Terry Pratchett which was still waiting to br read, and it just wasn't the same. I ended up buying it for the Kindle even though I already had it on paperback. And as soon as I finshed that, I downloaded the Jasper Fforde. It still bothers me that I'm paying more than I would for the paperback, but I'm a definite convert now.

I'm hoping that the Amazon Library will become available in the UK soon.

I don't think you always do pay more for the Kindle version than for the paperback version :?

I tend to have a big lot of books in my wish list & check the prices on them really regularly to see when they have gone down - point in case, The Hunger Games: £2.70 on Kindle, £3.85 Paperback.

Very new books will be more,but then again the hardback will be more than the paperback for the first few months too.

It is a shame that you cannot share Kindle books like you can paperbacks though.

A bit of a loaded question for me, I'm afraid; I have a Kobo ereader, not a Kindle.

Do I enjoy reading a proper book? Absolutely. Do I enjoy reading an ebook on my Kobo? Every bit as much. Can I share the books on my Kobo with others? Yes, so long as they're not DRM protected, which has been the case with all the books I've downloaded so far, including those I've purchased.

I could discuss how much better the Kobo's functionality is than the Kindle of the same price (mine's a touch screen, but cost the same as the basic Kindle), but the real reason I avoided the Kindle was the proprietary nature of the ebook format, and the fact I didn't want to be locked into just one vendor. Now I've been living with my choice for a few months, I'm more than happy I've made the right decision. I'm also happy that the Kobo isn't backlit. I know it means I can't read it in the dark, but it's precisely because of the lack of backlight that it's so easy on the eye. I find it just as relaxing to read from the ereader as from a book.

I certainly like the portability of the ereader; the fact I can tote around my whole electronic library crammed into about six ounces. I also like the fact I don't have to position my thumb so as to keep the book open (only an issue when curled up in bed, I'll admit...). However, I do find the smell and feel of second-hand books very evocative, and no ereader can provide that. I also find the convenience of buying ebooks online is great if I know what I want, but I also enjoy spending a few hours browsing around the back rooms of a bookshop.

In all, I like both formats for different reasons. What I'm tending to do now is to buy second-hand paperbacks as a bit of a punt, then replace the ones I want to keep with ebook versions that don't deteriorate. If I want a new book, I'll tend to buy it in electronic format since the prices have come down enough as to be slightly cheaper that way. I will also take advantage of the fact that many authors provide the first in a series free of charge as an ebook, and I've discovered several gems that have prompted me to then buy the rest; I don't mind spending if I know what I'm buying, and a whole book is a good taster.

I love my Kindle. I rarely spend anything on books now, unless it's a new book that I'm desperate to read, and tend to stick to the huge variety of free books offered on Amazon, that change frequently.

During exam revision, I was able to put both pdf's of my study texts, plus my typed notes onto it, rather than lug massive books and folders around, and thanks to the slightly robotic "text to speech" I was able to listen to text and notes, whilst doing other things.

That said, I still take a paper book with me into the bath! I've never once dropped a book into the bubbles yet, and doubt that would change if I took my kindle in, but I'm not willing to take the risk!!

I could discuss how much better the Kobo's functionality is than the Kindle of the same price (mine's a touch screen, but cost the same as the basic Kindle), but the real reason I avoided the Kindle was the proprietary nature of the ebook format, and the fact I didn't want to be locked into just one vendor. Now I've been living with my choice for a few months, I'm more than happy I've made the right decision. .

My DH has a Kobo and feels the same.

That said, I still take a paper book with me into the bath! I've never once dropped a book into the bubbles yet, and doubt that would change if I took my kindle in, but I'm not willing to take the risk!!

I have many covers including a waterproof one for a few pounds on eBay!

Needless to say kindle for me. love it

Another Kindle convert here...since I got my Kindle for Christmas I've read more than in ages, and I'm sure it's because it is so portable.....

Also I like the fact that if you are in public no one else know what you are reading....(I am reading Anne of Green Gables at the moment, and loving it every bit as much as when I read it as a child.. :D )

That said there is also a lot of rubbish available on Kindle, and self publishing means that books which might have been vetoed by publishing houses because they are of dubious merit are available anyway especially in electronic format...so it's definitely a case of buyer beware...

And personally I've stopped downloading just on the basis of the reviews on Amazon....as I really haven't been able to see what all the fuss is about with many very hyped books...the advantage with kindle is that at least you can download an extract and see if you like the writing style before you buy....

I'd definitely replace it if it was lost or broken!

Kindle for a few reasons...

1.my house was overun with books

2.more room in my suitcase as i would taake 3-4 books on a weeks holiday

3.i like to always have a book to read as and when i want to read so have 24 unread books at the moment :oops::lol:

4.a kindle is much lighter to take out with me, i take it lots of places :D

5. got to be more enviromentally friendly

Recently bought a Kindle keyboard - it's great - but I don't think it will completely replace real books in my house and still like the idea of buying/donating paperbacks from charity shops. I especially like real cookery books! However, Kindle is a wonderful tool and excellent for travelling. :D

Just seen this in Lakeland - ereader pouch for keeping safe near water

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23547/e-Reader-Pouch

Edited by Guest