munkee1965

Kindle or Paper?

You can get very good very cheap ones on eBay,& they fit your specific model of Kindle too,plus are guaranteed for a year.

Mine,as I go from bath to bed so take it in & out of its waterproof one a lot,split down the sides after a couple of months & they sent me a new one with no questions asked,all for £3.50 :P

Kindle! I love mine. I got it for christmas 2010 and was the first in our house to get one.

I've always liked reading, but have never read so much since getting my Kindle. I love the one-click ordering and am able to start reading any book I've ordered literally within 5 seconds.

My husband and my daughter now also have them and both love them. We have lighted covers too, so you'll find me and hubby in bed at night both reading our Kindles in the dark!

However I still haven't parted with any of my 'tree books', as we now call them. I have too many that I'm attached to and too many to replace on the Kindle all at once. And I still buy them from charity shops etc if I see one I want.

As has been said, I too like cookery books and they just wouldn't be the same in Kindle format. I like to turn the pages and look at the photos of the finished dishes in colour!

I do agree that sometimes you have to watch the price of paper vs Kindle version as I've seen a couple of books I wanted and it was cheaper to order the paperback, even including postage. But that's only been a couple of times. Most of the time the Kindle version is cheaper. And I like checking the Daily Deal every day as well as browsing the free books. Some of those are good and, as has also been said, some are rubbish! But at least you didn't pay for them and can delete them.

That said there is also a lot of rubbish available on Kindle, and self publishing means that books which might have been vetoed by publishing houses because they are of dubious merit are available anyway especially in electronic format...so it's definitely a case of buyer beware...[/quote}

On the other hand, J.K. Rowling's first Harry Potter novel was allegedly rejected by 5 publishing houses! Fortunately she did not give up - just shows that publishing houses get it wrong, too! I expect that e-publishing/self-publishing will open up a whole new market - and one that will be regulated by the public: you like it and buy it, or you don't! :D

That said there is also a lot of rubbish available on Kindle, and self publishing means that books which might have been vetoed by publishing houses because they are of dubious merit are available anyway especially in electronic format...so it's definitely a case of buyer beware...[/quote}

On the other hand, J.K. Rowling's first Harry Potter novel was allegedly rejected by 5 publishing houses! Fortunately she did not give up - just shows that publishing houses get it wrong, too! I expect that e-publishing/self-publishing will open up a whole new market - and one that will be regulated by the public: you like it and buy it, or you don't! :D

Yes-ish. In fact, that whole new market is already in place, and it certainly gets around the conservatism of publishing houses as a barrier to new authors. However, the sheer volume of self-published work means anyone sifting through in search of the next great read will find there are twice as many needles, but the haystack has quadrupled in size.

Nonetheless, I don't believe this means things have got worse; it just means our searching and sifting tools need to get better. Sadly, I don't have an answer to that yet, but it'll come....

I love my Kindle, to be able to just download a book to read in seconds is brilliant. My DD bought herself one and we bought one for YS. He's always read and would often run out of something to read midweek so the fact that he can download a book and we don't have to trawl down to the shop is fantastic. :D

Well personally I don't own a kindle and this is my first post on the forum. so..! But I do know some people who do have them and they do look quite like paper and the are nice and light!! We offered to buy my gran one but she was upset that she would not get to go to the library and pick up some paperbacks. As soon as I told her that there was a kindle library she became much more interested!! But we still have not got round to buying it yet.

Paper for me every time! I am an avid reader with two books on the go at any one time and a stack ready to read - I haunt the local libraries; so much easier now you can take books ou/return to any within your own county :D ! I LOVE the feel of a 'proper' book - I pick second hand books up in charity shops, markets, boot sales etc - oh, the thrill of the chase!!! and really enjoy passing books on to friends who I know will enjoy them 8) ! Equally, I have a bookshelf of hard backs that I have collected - favourite authors that I return to time and again.

Technology is great and has changed so many aspects of our lives but I won't be buying an Kindle or similar! I ve heard lots of horror stories about these electronic readers going wrong, getting stepped on, being otherwise accidentally damaged or just lost; if I happen to mispalace my 50p paperback I can generally replace it for similar but just could not be trusted with anything more expensive or tec hnical :oops::roll: !

Maybe its my age (47! :oops: ) but I just do love my books :dance: !

I'm a kindle convert. It started with OH actuallu, who loves anything electronic anyway, and I bought him a kindle for a holiday, as I was fed up spending time looking after all the kids on my own in the airport while he spent ages in WH Smith choosing a couple of books, which always turned out to be huge and taking all the space in the hand luggage. With the kindle he could just download books and get more if he'd finish them while on holiday.

After trying his, I bought myself one and have been quite happy with it. I have the touch one, wouldn't have liked the keyboard one, and it has some annoying little things, like more typos in the text than in printed books, and you can accidentally tough the screen and find yourself lost somewhere in the book, but otherwise it's great and I've read so many books since getting it, compared to the number of paper books I'd have otherwise read. We have little room for paper books in our house and I buy a lot of photography and cookery books which are lying all over the place, so room for fiction is lacking, and the kindle is perfect for me in that aspect. Also it takes so little room in a bag, we are buying one for one of our daughters, who is an avid reader, and will happily now have room for more than books in her hand luggage on our holiday!

I have nothing against the paper books, but the kindle sure is a practicle option.

That is exactly how I feel too Ziggy :D

I love my Kindle - it is neither that Keyboard nor the Touch version........I didn't want a Touch as I read in the bath,plus I don't like a fingerprinty screen!

I have the one with no keyboard - it was only about £76 or so (before my discount! :lol: )

I love this version,as its very sleek & compact & also has nicer finishing around the screen than mu old keyboard Kindle,which my daughter now has.

She is a university literature student,so its perfect for her too :P